6 1/2 vs. 6 3/4? component vs 2&3-way?

sylvr
10+ year member

abc
is there really that much of a difference between 6 1/2 inch and 6 3/4 inch speaker size? my 02 lancer says it has a front speaker size of 6 3/4, depth of 3 and height of 3/4 and i tend to hear alot about 6 1/2 sized speakers. what do you reccomend would be the best speakers for me that would cost around 200 for a front pair?

heres some info:

i like to listen to rap and trance so if that helps...

so far i have a brahma 15" in the back so i want something that would work well with that and not be drowned out.

i really really don't want to buy a new amp at the moment so i want something that would sound decent off my head unit that has 52 w x 4 at 4 ohm max power and 23.2 w x 4 at 4 ohm rms. i know someday i will get an amp for them but for now i just want them off my hu. so yes, its a must that it will sound good if not great off head unit power for now and be ready for a future upgrade in power later.

how are component speakers compared to 2 or 3 way full ranged speakers? i plan on installing these myself and dont want to drill any holes unless it is a truly incredible difference and worth spending the over priced install charge that good guys charges plus risk getting them and/or my car getting fu*ked up.

well that looks like it should be enough information; please let me know what you can and thanks for any and all help!

For speaker size, there's no difference between 6.5 and 6.75 other than physical dimension. both can sound just as good. If you don't like to do any modification to your stock doors you might want to find a speaker you can pop right in.

As for comps, they are better because of mounting flexibility and advanced crossover (not all comps have a good xover though). With proper placement and some tweaking you can achieve better imaging and staging with comps and at the same time get a cleaner, more accurate sound. There are some comps out there that offers shallow mounting depth (focal poyglass/polykevlar). With $200 you can get a pretty good comps online, look at kicker resolution, cdt classics, focal polyglass.

You will need an amp IMO, 23W is not enough for most comps especially if you run a brahma. Any decent cheap amp will make a whole lot difference for the comps.

thanks for the reply! well mainly what i meant between the 6 1/2 and 6 3/4 size is since my car fits 6 3/4 could i use 6 1/2 sized speakers and just put them im without any modifications? i tried reading up on what would be good and everyone seems to be talking about 6 1/2s. if not do you know of any places that sell something like an adapter for a 6 1/2 to fit where a 6 3/4 should be?

i decided i dont want a component set because i really want to be able to do this myself without having to go out and buy special equipment like what i need to put in the tweets where i want them to; i want a set of full range speakers that i could just plug in. also i read that components sound horrible off hu power since they need so much more. do you think that if i were to buy new speakers and power them off the hu that i would just be wasting my money and at that point just stick with my stock speakers?

hmm...

check this out,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15901413&St=5787&St2=-63130976&St3=88629690&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=6701&DID=7

it might work without modification, but I'm not sure. This thing will also add more depth to the stock placement.

If you decide to go with coax speakers then it's your choice. but comps doesn't sound awful off HU amp, it sound OK and can sound even better with external amp. if you plan on upgrading the system such as adding an amp, comps will be the best choice. if you won't even bother upgrading, then coax will work just as well.

i see, so you think if i upgraded to a decent set of comps, still powered off the hu, it would definately sound better than my stock speakers?

yeah, you will feel the comps lack of midbass when run off HU. but once you got an amp, it'll come to life, midbass, details, crispness is much better.

Components tend to be less efficient than coaxials. My RS5's don't come alive with any less than 40 watts... they'd eat HU power for lunch and want more. I'd stick with a good set of coaxials or 3-ways. Infinity, Pioneer, CDT, take your pick.

6 3/4" is kind of an oddball, 6-1/2" is much more common. I'm sure you can fit 6-1/2's, but not sure if you need to modify the mounts or drill holes etc.

hey dawg let me let you in on a lil secret, if you run the spaekers from you hu you're not getting the full potential, in fact if you have decent fsctory speakers you might not even be able to tell the difference much.

thanks tank; you essentially answered my main question: is it worth changing my factory speakers if its just going to be powered by the head unit. i guess ill have to keep thinking about it; besides i don't plan on buying them for a while unless i find a really good deal.

thats bullsh*t, no factory speacker is going to sound as good as a pair of kappa's, even if you run em off the head unit

if you dont have the cash, room, or dont even want an amp, you can run it off the h/u with results i am sure will fit your need

granted running off an amp will greatly improve the sound lvl and quality, but if you are looking for an entry level upgrade those kappas will work wonderful for you

yeah i was thinking of that; read alot that it could be easily modified to hold 6 1/2s but i would rather not; same reason i want coaxials instead of components unless i can mount the tweets to the woofer and use them as fancy coaxials with crossover like the kicker comps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.