Participant count
  • Participant list

bocajoe

CarAudio.com Newbie
For an amp with the modest power of 500W RMS @ 2ohm what would be better:

1 Subwoofer with 500w RMS @ 2ohm
or
2 Subwoofers with 250w each = 500w RMS @ 2ohm

I listen to just about every type of music there is. And I guess I want the best of both worlds with tight and boomy if that exists. I'm open to building a box or having one made.

I haven't purchased the subwoofer(s) yet so I would love to hear brand suggestions for either configuration. Subwoofer budget would be MAX $400 but would definitely like to spend less if possible.

It's all about preference. I prefer a louder, more accurate sub that has the power to hit the deep drops. I also dig an install that is clean and stealthy. So, I would opt for a single 500W @ 2ohm sub in a sealed enclosure of some sort (to save space). I like the JL Audio 10" W3x3-2 sub for this kind of application. It's a decent sub that works with compact boxes, produces nice and tight general bass, but can handle the deep drops well also. 500W is at the top end of its ideal range, but it can certainly handle it without issue as long as the amp gains are set and wiring is run properly. I would recommend using a decent active crossover to set the sub frequency range apart from your mids & highs. Many higher-end amps have this built-in or you can buy a dedicated unit.

For an amp with the modest power of 500W RMS @ 2ohm what would be better:

1 Subwoofer with 500w RMS @ 2ohm
or
2 Subwoofers with 250w each = 500w RMS @ 2ohm

I listen to just about every type of music there is. And I guess I want the best of both worlds with tight and boomy if that exists. I'm open to building a box or having one made.

I haven't purchased the subwoofer(s) yet so I would love to hear brand suggestions for either configuration. Subwoofer budget would be MAX $400 but would definitely like to spend less if possible.

One of these in a ported box. It's a 500w rms sub.
Screenshot_20200330-154241_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thank you to all. My neighbor and I were talking and he GAVE me a 12" RF Punch P3 with a ported box. :cool:

For my modest needs I am more than happy with it. It really filled in my front stage components.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.