5 Channel Amp Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

cb7music

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade the sound system of my 1991 Honda Accord and I'm a bit stuck with the wiring configuration. I decided to go with a SKAR AUDIO RP-600.5 700W RMS 5-CHANNEL amp to power the 2 fronts 2 rears and a sub (SKAR AUDIO SDR-1X8D2 700 WATT SINGLE 8") with this head unit (ALPINE UTE-73BT).

Do I need to run all the speakers out to the amp or can I use the factory wiring and just connect the RCAs from the head unit to the amp? WHat about the headunit can i just use speaker wire to connect it to the amp and use rca for the components?

Cheers! :)

Use RCAs from the radio RCA out to the amp's RCA in. For speakers, you can run the amp's speaker outputs directly into the factory wires behind the radio. You will no longer use the radio's speaker outputs, so clip off the bare wire and tape individually. I have done this a few times without sound qualtity issues. Very important to get the polarity correct on the factory wiring. If you are currently using a wiring harness, it will make it easier. If not, I suggest getting one.

Use some Stinger 9 Conductor Speaker wire if you want to run it into the harness behind the radio. I have done that a couple times and it has worked great and have 100 watts running through the oem wires. Even comes with a remote turn wire in there as well. Lots of people and shops use it.

Thanks for the support fellas, I picked up some 9 wire... In regards to the wiring harness, the original owner of the car clipped off oem radio connector and had it taped up to a wiring harness that came with the aftermarket head unit. Does this mean I should buy a reverse stereo harness for my vehicle and solder the now bare wires to it?

Don't have to but it would be nice to have it back to stock if you have the oem radio and decided to sell the vehicle one day.. I had a friend do that and had him buy the stock oem harness and then wired it into the aftermarket harness so when he sold the vehicle he could put the stock oem radio back in.

So I got the wiring harness but I don't have a need for it because the 16-pin connector on the harness doesn't fit the head unit so I used the harness that came with the radio and spliced wires from the car directly into the wiring harness that came with the new radio. I ran my rcas and 9-wire opposite to the power cable and I spliced the blue turn on from the 9-wire to the radio harness that came with the headunit and hooked everything else up using those twist things just to make sure all the wiring is right before soldering the wires together. Everything worked as intended but when I went ahead and soldered and heat shrinked all the connection I had made all of a sudden my amp doesnt turn on anymore! what could be the issue here?

You did connect the blue remote turn on wire to your amp correct? The head unit harness should have the same blue remote turn on wire and should have a label on it. If you did all this with the fuse and battery hooked up then I would be checking the amplifier fuse as well. Go back and retrace and make sure that everything is clean, no wires are touching each other and that the connections are solid.

You did connect the blue remote turn on wire to your amp correct? The head unit harness should have the same blue remote turn on wire and should have a label on it. If you did all this with the fuse and battery hooked up then I would be checking the amplifier fuse as well. Go back and retrace and make sure that everything is clean, no wires are touching each other and that the connections are solid.

yup, did all of that; I ordered a multimeter so ill check the voltage that's getting to the amp tomorrow. The thing isn't labeled but I presume the blue wire with white stripe is the remote turn on. Funny thing is everything was working fine until I started soldering everything. The head unit still turns on but not the amp. Thanks for your input.

The culprit ended up being the ground wire. I had cut many of the strands when I stripped it but they had remained on the cable so the ground was getting a bunch of cut strands. We're up and running now. This was my first ever endeavor in the car audio/electrical realm and I learned a lot going through the process. Thank you all so much for helping me out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.