4x......6x9s as subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

saucy.ass.bo.510

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i have a 2001 toyota corolla s that im building to be a fully functional daily driver and race car as well as take it to shows. It wont be "the best" at any of those things! But it will work, be reliable-ish, and fun. Now that being said i dont want some big ass subs taking up the whole trunk so, i am thinking about buying 4-6 of the rockville rvl69 6x9 subwoofer, component, speaker.... Things. I heard they are pretty crazy with both low and mid range frequencies. Anybody know how i would wire these up and tune the crossovers to make everything work right?

if you want bass that way from the doors, you could also make some mounting rings from 3/4 inch wood to attach to the doors to screw the 6x9 to. Also deaden the doors as much as your weight limit will allow you. That will improve bass response a lot. The crossovers should have a clear input for the speaker wirers, and 2 outputs. 1 for the woofer and 1 for the tweeter.

if you want bass that way from the doors, you could also make some mounting rings from 3/4 inch wood to attach to the doors to screw the 6x9 to. Also deaden the doors as much as your weight limit will allow you. That will improve bass response a lot. The crossovers should have a clear input for the speaker wirers, and 2 outputs. 1 for the woofer and 1 for the tweeter.

Yeah i was thinking about puting them in all 4 doors and the rear deck. But the only concern i have is thag the rvl69's have double stacked magnets, do you think they will still fit in the doors? They are pretty bulky looking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-093330.png
    Screenshot_20201113-093330.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20201113-093341.png
    Screenshot_20201113-093341.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 124
Yeah i was thinking about puting them in all 4 doors and the rear deck. But the only concern i have is thag the rvl69's have double stacked magnets, do you think they will still fit in the doors? They are pretty bulky looking.
you would have to check the clearance in the door and make sure the mounting depth on the speaker will make it. That’s another reason I would make some adapter rings out of wood. you might even consider doing the ones in the rear deck in small boxes, and mount them under the rear deck. If not boxes, make sure the rear deck is sealed off from the trunk. You can get some decent sound from 6x9s if they’re either enclosed, or the rear of the speaker is sealed from the front.

its not gonna fit in the doors at all, I've had a corolla S, for audio as well and most speakers dont fit in the door even with a 1.5 inch spacer, it'll get caught with the window assembly, you'd have to gut plastic panels and take ALL that room for those rockvilles. Another thing is, corolla doors are horrible for any kind of bass/midbass even with acoustical treatments, without it, good luck getting any results. You are better off doing an Infinite Baffle sub build in the trunk(doesnt require much weight or space) and use speakers like mclarens neodymiums in the doors.

Infinite baffle is using the trunk as the sealed enclosure and most IB subs are pretty light. you'll be saving 25lbs from not using the rockvilles and using the mclarens which leaves you enough weight for the subs and birch plywood baffle.

Attachments

• 1605345302887.png
    1605345302887.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
also forget about rear speakers, focus all your money and power on quality front mids and tweets, run active networks and have the sub and you'll never look back. Rear speakers just destroy your soundstage for the most part.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.