4 sundown x 12s on 1 salt 4?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr Finance

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kentucky
I currently have 2 x12s running on the salt 4 and it just honestly doesnt hit hard enough for me. My last system was in 2010 and i was running 4 15'' fosgate p1's on a concept audio 2200 i think. it seemed to take your breath away. I built a wall in the back of my expedition and hit a 140 with it. im sure its not much but for 125$ speakers and a system that was completely put together by a somewhat novice installer (myself) with no added electrical outside of the big 3, and a box built by me i thought it was pretty good. At any rate i honestly expected the current setup to hit harder. I know adding 2 more x12's with the current amp will be running at 2 ohms versus 1, but does anyone have any experience with this.

I think you already answered it. Your previous build with more cone area and less power hit harder than your current setup.

Are both systems in the same vehicle? Apples to apples?
A wall vs a trunk build could make a big difference.

4 xs on a salt 4 on paper sounds correct but in application it's not IMHO. I'm no audiophile but but seeing the power me and my teammate give them I'd use a 8k or better
Exactly
From what I understand the X series are very underrated on power. But man its hard to believe 2 X12's aren't doing it for you in the 140spl area. They should hit well above that tuned correctly I would think.

Exactly
From what I understand the X series are very underrated on power. But man its hard to believe 2 X12's aren't doing it for you in the 140spl area. They should hit well above that tuned correctly I would think.

There plenty loud, i think it has more to due with surface area. which is why im thinking adding 2 more may help, but i havent really heard a good sound system in a while aside from mine so my baseline may be all sorts of wrong. I just recall passengers in my old car saying they couldnt breath, and i dont have that feeling in this one. its in an escalade for reference. The escalade is really built very well it takes the bass like a champ. hardly any rattles and with the windows up full tilt you can barely hear it outside. ive never seen anything like that.

There plenty loud, i think it has more to due with surface area. which is why im thinking adding 2 more may help, but i havent really heard a good sound system in a while aside from mine so my baseline may be all sorts of wrong. I just recall passengers in my old car saying they couldnt breath, and i dont have that feeling in this one. its in an escalade for reference. The escalade is really built very well it takes the bass like a champ. hardly any rattles and with the windows up full tilt you can barely hear it outside. ive never seen anything like that.
Escalade definitely will take 2 more. Look at good enclosure designs and beef up electrical if you haven't that may be part of the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...