4 channel amplifier and 8 speakers?

Participant count
  • Participants list

OpelEkadett

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have older car and on front doors does not have enough space for 6,5" speakers, so i tought that would it be Wise to put 3 DIFFERENT pairs of 4" speakers there? And for the rear end there is spaces for 6.5" speakers allready. Amp gives about 120-140watts rms out/channel and the 4" wants about 40-60watts rms/speakers.

I have older car and on front doors does not have enough space for 6,5" speakers, so i tought that would it be Wise to put 3 DIFFERENT pairs of 4" speakers there? And for the rear end there is spaces for 6.5" speakers allready. Amp gives about 120-140watts rms out/channel and the 4" wants about 40-60watts rms/speakers.
Have you considered kick panel speakers? All of those 4 inch speakers may not get you the sound you want. Maybe some of our seasoned audiophiles can help you with that. Good luck.

You really need a tweeter to hear any vocals clearly. Those 4" are all midrange, and without a tweeter just won't sound good without em.

Do the front doors have room for 5.25?
Do you have room for tweeters 4" or other size and tweeters?
Do you have the ability to add whatever size speakers you want? If not what size speakers can you install in the vehicle?
What equipment do you already have?

Unless those are some really nice 4" speakers, and you really like midrange, I wouldn't even use two of them. (A second and third pair of 4" speakers being pushed at 40w is just not worth doing).

Do you already have the 6.5?
Would you be willing to add a second amp?
What is your head unit? (If it is 40w or more per channel, you could run speakers off that).
What is your end goal, or budget restrictions?

Last edited:
You really need a tweeter to hear any vocals clearly. Those 4" are all midrange, and without a tweeter just won't sound good without em.

Do you have the ability to add whatever size speakers you want? If not what size speakers can you install in the vehicle?

Unless those are some really nice 4" speakers, and you really like midrange, I wouldn't even use two of them. (A second and third pair of 4" speakers being pushed at 40w is just not worth doing).

What is your head unit? (If it is 40w or more per channel, you could run speakers off that).
One pair of The 4" is with tweeters and i have allready Coral mk165 6,5". I dont have head unit yet. I have SPL dynamics amp (i dont remember its model), Coral mk165, Focal PC100, Audison prima APX4 and Rainbow dl-c 4.2 speakers. I think 5,25" would be Max to those doors

Have you considered kick panel speakers? Left side panel has The lever for bonnet....

So the Focal are 4" 50w rms
The Audison are 4" 40w mids.
The rainbow are 30-60RMS 4" components and
(what I found were) the coral are 240w RMS 6.5" components.

Which model amp is that SPL? I wouldn't plan on using the amp on the 4" speakers. I would buy a head unit that does 40-50w RMS per ch, and play them off of that. I would definitely pick the Rainbows over the focal and audison, just because those are components. It depends on how you want to set up your vehicle though. If you're in Finland you might have a smaller vehicle with a smaller soundstage, and not be worried about how the speakers sound while sitting in the back seat. The Focal and Audison are nice speakers, but if you don't plan on running a sub, that's a lot of midrange.

If that was me, I would really want to put the Coral's up front. I just think those are going to be your best speakers. Depends on:
1. If you can find an adapter or cut it larger and make them work.
2. What about your amp? Is it a 4ch amp, that you can bridge to 2ch and use it on just those, or is it a 2ch amp that pushes about 120w rms x 2ch?
- If you can't get the 6.5" Corals to fit up front, I would definitely put em in the back if they fit, and either use the amp you have if you can get the power ratings close, or you might need an amp for just those.

FOR THE FRONT - if the Corals are in back, then you want the other components up front. You can find adapters to make 4" fit in a 5.25". You can find have rings that will mount your components in that 5.25".

If you can get the Corals up front, then you could put anyone of those sets in the back to enhance the front. Again, I would just use a simple adapter to make something fit. You will see what will work, but just run the rears off the 50w x 4 (RMS) head unit.

If you just don't want to spend any more money, and can't get the amp to work with the corals, then run the Rainbows up front, and either the focals or audison in the back, and get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 and don't even bother with the amp.

So the Focal are 4" 50w rms
The Audison are 4" 40w mids.
The rainbow are 30-60RMS 4" components and
(what I found were) the coral are 240w RMS 6.5" components.

Which model amp is that SPL? I wouldn't plan on using the amp on the 4" speakers. I would buy a head unit that does 40-50w RMS per ch, and play them off of that. I would definitely pick the Rainbows over the focal and audison, just because those are components. It depends on how you want to set up your vehicle though. If you're in Finland you might have a smaller vehicle with a smaller soundstage, and not be worried about how the speakers sound while sitting in the back seat. The Focal and Audison are nice speakers, but if you don't plan on running a sub, that's a lot of midrange.

If that was me, I would really want to put the Coral's up front. I just think those are going to be your best speakers. Depends on:
1. If you can find an adapter or cut it larger and make them work.
2. What about your amp? Is it a 4ch amp, that you can bridge to 2ch and use it on just those, or is it a 2ch amp that pushes about 120w rms x 2ch?
- If you can't get the 6.5" Corals to fit up front, I would definitely put em in the back if they fit, and either use the amp you have if you can get the power ratings close, or you might need an amp for just those.

FOR THE FRONT - if the Corals are in back, then you want the other components up front. You can find adapters to make 4" fit in a 5.25". You can find have rings that will mount your components in that 5.25".

If you can get the Corals up front, then you could put anyone of those sets in the back to enhance the front. Again, I would just use a simple adapter to make something fit. You will see what will work, but just run the rears off the 50w x 4 (RMS) head unit.

If you just don't want to spend any more money, and can't get the amp to work with the corals, then run the Rainbows up front, and either the focals or audison in the back, and get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 and don't even bother with the amp.
Just checked amps model, its ice 150-4 so it gives 140watts rms/channel and those coral mk165 are 120watts rms, 240watts is the peak power for them.

Front end of the car is difficult because original places are on the dash and cant fit bigger than 4", and on the front door Windows are manual so there is not space eather for bigger speakers because Window levers.

Rear end has original places for 6,5" speakers allready. I have 2x10" SPL subs and i am going to put them on that car someday

Honestly, Unless you want it LOUD. I think with what you are sitting on, and the limitations of the vehicle. I would just run the rainbow components up front, get an adapter to run the 4" in the back, and get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 to power it all.

Otherwise, you either need to buy a set of components for a few hundred that will run about 150w that will fit up front that will fit, or buy a 2ch amp for just the back (but then they will overpower the front). If you buy a second set of components you are now also running that amp at 150w x 4 =600w then / 14.4v = 41 amps / .85 (85% efficient amp) = 49 amps you are adding to your draw that you need to plan your vehicle's electrical for. (An older vehicle probably has a minimal alternator on it now). With wiring, fuses, components, alt, you're probably $500 - $1000.

If you buy a head unit that is 50w x4, you might spend an extra $30 for one compared to one that isn't. You can hook up everything you have, try it out, and worst case scenario you spent a few bucks more on a head unit you might not have gotten, but it gives you options. Then all it is, is you are right back in the same spot you are now. You know how it all sounds, and THEN you would just need something around 150w rms that will fit up front, and the 6.5"s and amp are sitting in the closet ready to go.

Unless you have head unit you are set on, or want something that is more old-school style, you buy a small 50w x 4 amp for em (which is about $100-$150).

Last edited:
Honestly, Unless you want it LOUD. I think with what you are sitting on, and the limitations of the vehicle. I would just run the rainbow components up front, get an adapter to run the 4" in the back, and get a head unit that will do 50w x 4 to power it all.

Otherwise, you either need to buy a set of components for a few hundred that will run about 150w that will fit up front that will fit, or buy a 2ch amp for just the back (but then they will overpower the front). If you buy a second set of components you are now also running that amp at 150w x 4 =600w then / 14.4v = 41 amps / .85 (85% efficient amp) = 49 amps you are adding to your draw that you need to plan your vehicle's electrical for. (An older vehicle probably has a minimal alternator on it now). With wiring, fuses, components, alt, you're probably $500 - $1000.

If you buy a head unit that is 50w x4, you might spend an extra $30 for one compared to one that isn't. You can hook up everything you have, try it out, and worst case scenario you spent a few bucks more on a head unit you might not have gotten, but it gives you options. Then all it is, is you are right back in the same spot you are now. You know how it all sounds, and THEN you would just need something around 150w rms that will fit up front, and the 6.5"s and amp are sitting in the closet ready to go.

Unless you have head unit you are set on, or want something that is more old-school style, you buy a small 50w x 4 amp for em (which is about $100-$150).
Would it work If i buy another pair of those rainbows and run 2 pairs of them as front end and Corals as Back end? I would put one pair on The original places and another on front doors, tweeters then on A pilars. Corals then to Back end and all of those through The amp? And the subs on the trunk.

I have allready changed alternator for bigger from stock one.

Would it work If i buy another pair of those rainbows and run 2 pairs of them as front end and Corals as Back end? I would put one pair on The original places and another on front doors, tweeters then on A pilars. Corals then to Back end and all of those through The amp? And the subs on the trunk.

I have allready changed alternator for bigger from stock one.
Yep, i am going to put those audisons (rainbows dont fit) on original places front and focals to the Back end. I am going to give amp and corals to My friend who has nicer car wich has places for 6, 5" speakers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...