4 12" kicker comp r or 2 12" comp q

Bludstorm

CarAudio.com Newbie
I currently have two kicker comp R 12" two ohm DVCs in a vented kicker enclosure running on a skar rp2000.1d amp. The amp specs say it runs at 1400 watts @ two ohms and 2000 @ 1 ohm. I want to upgrade the subs.....I can go w 2 more comp r's and wire the 4 down to 1 ohm or can get rid of the 2 comp R's I have and go with just 2 comp q 4 ohm subs and wire those at 1 ohm. My understanding is more cone is better, but I'm unsure if that is always true. I have the space for either setup and price would ultimately be really close to the same either way. If I go w the Q's I'll go w a sealed box. My guess is the 4 would be louder, but by how much? And the 2 would hit a bit better frequency range, but again, by how much? Any other pros or cons between the 2?

The comp q's are 850 rms and the comp R's are 500 rms. I'm guessing the is a touch overstated on the rms, and with that being the case, either option would be getting pretty close to the same wattage

I just removed my (4) CWR 12's dual 4 ohm in a 2.25 cu ft ported enclosure tuned to 37.75 hz with final load of 2 ohms. I installed (2) CWQ124 in a 2.25 cu ft per sub ported enclosure tuned to 42 hz with final load of 1 ohm. Both being driven off a single Kicker CX1800.1. 400A mechman. 1/0 ran back to a 10 farad cap that feeds the mono block and the KXMA600.4. I disnt touch a thing on the headunit or amp. Just swapped. First off I should have went D2 with the CWQs. 1 ohm load is creating voltage issues. It never budged with the CWRs @ 2 ohm. So I will be taking the CWQs out tomorrow and sliding my (4) CWRs back in the vehicle. Musically there is no comparison. SPL they are about dead even. Maybe the CWQ will get better with some break in and they loosen up. And I think that maybe be a bit to high of a tune for that sub. Feels more like a low 30's subwoofer to me. I wasn't able to find any info on what that sub likes on the web.

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure what the CWR's are, but in any case, that box seems WAY too small for four 12" subs, especially if it's ported. Sealed maybe, but .5 cubes per sub, seems a little off, well actually a lot off. Give me the actual woofer model numbers and I can run them in BASS Box pro for a single, double, triple or quadruple woofer set up..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...