3 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chistopher

CarAudio.com Newbie
None
Forgive me if this is one of those questions that has been asked 1000 times.

I picked up one of those fancy new smart amps from Kicker, the 200.4. It's rated for 4×50w @ 4 Ohms. The two rear speaker clusters are a pair of Boston Acoustics Pro60 SE, rated a 3 Ohms each. The two front speakers are rated at 4 Ohms each

From what I understand about running with lower than stable impedance speakers they will be louder, but cause the amp to heat up more. Given that I don't plan on running the unit louder than half volume for extended periods of time and that the amp is right near out an output of the car's AC, this shouldn't cause any problems right?

and another novice question while I'm here, if I'm running 50w to the mid and treble, 150w per to two 8" subs is enough to keep up right?

and another novice question while I'm here, if I'm running 50w to the mid and treble, 150w per to two 8" subs is enough to keep up right?
Should be just fine. If you need more power, just get another amp dedicated for subs only. Id recommend at least 100 rms overhead on tap. A little head room never hurts. But you should be fine. Try it out before you spend any more funds. I always say.. Run what you got

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...