2018 Wrangler JL- Upgrading from JL Audio 8" microsub

you are shooting yourself in the foot by trying to keep things sealed and looking only at JL.  
I'm not married to jl audio and actually would prefer a lesser known brand.  What would you recommend as a space concious upgrade looking for sound quality at $600 for sub/amp/enclosure?  

Jeffdachef said:
you are shooting yourself in the foot by trying to keep things sealed and looking only at JL.  
Recommendations for space conscious ported sub for $300 or less?  The amp would be additional cost.

Recommendations for space conscious ported sub for $300 or less?  The amp would be additional cost.
can do a dayton HO 12 which works fine in .5 cubes to .75 cubes sealed.  you'll want 1000 rms of power to it though.    The only solution i know to keep space saving and low end impact is with cone area and power with a sub that can work in small airsapce.

Other than that you'll need an 8 that works in a small ported but most of them will be spl oriented subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
can do a dayton HO 12 which works fine in .5 cubes to .75 cubes sealed.  you'll want 1000 rms of power to it though.    The only solution i know to keep space saving and low end impact is with cone area and power with a sub that can work in small airsapce.

Other than that you'll need an 8 that works in a small ported but most of them will be spl oriented subs.
Thanks for the feedback.  I prefer to not push that much power if possible.  Have you heard the JL Audio ACP110lg 10" powered tw3 ported sub?  Has built in 400 watts pushing it.  Wonder if that would be a worthwhile upgrade at $500 vs the current 8" ported with 250 watts driving it??

keeep in mind thats the airspace after you account in the space the sub takes up.  the bigger you go, the more low end you'll get. Make sure you stuff a lb of poly fill inside the box as well.

Thanks for the feedback.  I prefer to not push that much power if possible.  Have you heard the JL Audio ACP110lg 10" powered tw3 ported sub?  Has built in 400 watts pushing it.  Wonder if that would be a worthwhile upgrade at $500?
Absolute junk upgrade, prefab box with slim sub wont get you anything good at all you'll get less low end rumble than before thats how sh*tty slim subs are. The only way you are going to get good low end performance while saving space is with more power. Otherwise just stick with what you have an be satisfied.  1000 rms aint anything and the amps are cheap. Just stop looking at JL and you'll see normal price tags.

Absolute junk upgrade, prefab box with slim sub wont get you anything good at all you'll get less low end rumble than before thats how sh*tty slim subs are. The only way you are going to get good low end performance while saving space is with more power. Otherwise just stick with what you have an be satisfied.  1000 rms aint anything and the amps are cheap. Just stop looking at JL and you'll see normal price tags.
I'd love to get away from jl audio to save $.  Would 1000 rms dim headlights and require a special battery?  I have an Alpine pdr f50 4 channel(85watt rms) and jl fix 86 drawing power.  

How much for Dayton HO12 in a sealed box?  What amp do you recommend that will draw the least amount of power?  I'm open to buying quality used gear.  Thanks for your help!

I found this for $150. Is this what you were recommending in a 12"?  What amp that could use my 8 gauge power wire?

Dayton Audio's 10" RSS265HO-44 High Output Reference Series subwoofer is purpose-built for moving lots of air, extreme power handling, extremely low distortion... and it does it all with an extremely small enclosure requirement.

I found this for $150. Is this what you were recommending in a 12"?  What amp that could use my 8 gauge power wire?

Dayton Audio's 10" RSS265HO-44 High Output Reference Series subwoofer is purpose-built for moving lots of air, extreme power handling, extremely low distortion... and it does it all with an extremely small enclosure requirement.
Look at the airspace requirements. It actually needs a bigger box than the 12... This is why I recommended the 12 over the 10.  You'll get more output across the board for basically the same space.  Build your own box its just a square wood box make it fit the space you need. Make sure its firing to the rear.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467

Look at the airspace requirements. It actually needs a bigger box than the 12... This is why I recommended the 12 over the 10.  You'll get more output across the board for basically the same space.  Build your own box its just a square wood box make it fit the space you need. Make sure its firing to the rear.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467
Thanks...do you know where I can get a economical sealed box and what amp do you recommend?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.