2018 Wrangler JL- Upgrading from JL Audio 8" microsub

JeeperVol

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have a 2018 4 door wrangler jl with Hertz energy 5.25" components up front and coaxials in rollbar amplified by 4 channel Alpine PDR 50(85watt RMS) with factory signal running through a jl fix 86 and in the back cargo area a jl audio ACP108 powered 250 watt 8" sub controlled by a  bass knob.  I've put down dynomat on the tub and am going for a clean/full SQ build that isnt too power hungry and dims the lights.

It currently sounds pretty good with the sound faded forward to create the front soundstage, but the 8" sub doesn't hit some of the lows and distorts at times.  I use my trunk alot and dont want a big box taking up alot more space.  Looking to stay under $600 for sub/amp and am leaning towards a 10" sealed sub in a efficient box.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACS112 12" sealed powered 400 watt($550)and the more expensive w3 or really nice w6v3 in a sealed box + buying a seperate amp.  Also considered just going up 1 size in my current jl audio ported to a ACP110 which is 400 watt 10" ported, but am concerned it wouldn't be a meaningful enough upgrade to justify the cost.  I'm not opposed to buying used and would definitely look at buying another brand sub if it sounded good....just have experience with jl audio subs.  Thoughts/recommendations are appreciated!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply...what would recommend for something sealed that is a step up considering my setup and budget of $500-600?

The tw5 line from jl is very nice for .8 cube but they are damn expensive and not worth retail.

The stereo integrity bm mkiv ot mkv would be my next pick.

Maybe a pair of sundown sd8s in a small box but that would require about twice the amp you are using now.

JL W6, Dayton Ultimax, Stereo Integrity HST are the few that I know of. I'm not an SQ guy and I am vehemently against sealed boxes so I won't be much help but I know the ones I mentioned are proven performers. 
Thanks...I was quoted $475 for a new jl w6v3 10" sub which should sound good in a .6 cu ft sealed box powered by a 500 watt RMS amp.    Factoring in $100 for the enclosure and $300 for an amp and I'm pushing $900, which is more than I want to spend.  I'm not opposed to buying used as long as it's in good condition and not more than a few years old.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACP110 and its a ported 10" tw1 powered by a built in 400 watt amp.  Just not sure it would be a meaningful upgrade over my current jl audio ported 8" 250 watt setup.

Secondly, the linked below 10" Dayton Ultimax is only $144.  Would this sub in a sealed enclosure with 500 watts RMS driving it sound better significantly better than my current ported 8" with 250 watts pushing it? I like the price alot.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UM10-22-Ultimax-Subwoofer/dp/B00ADR2CKQ

If you can find one CDT QES1220. 1cu.ft sealed on 500 watts and you'll be happier than a crackhead with $10
1 cu ft enclosure is a little bigger than I would like and the 10" are pushing $400+ new.  Do you know where you can find a used one?   How does it compare to the jl w6v3 in terms of sound quality and size of sealed enclosure needed?

JL W6, Dayton Ultimax, Stereo Integrity HST are the few that I know of. I'm not an SQ guy and I am vehemently against sealed boxes so I won't be much help but I know the ones I mentioned are proven performers. 
This 10"  Dayton ultimax is much cheaper than the jl w6v3. ($150 vs $475)  Does it sound remotely close to as good?

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/7109761009379218655?q=dayton+ultimax+10+sealed&biw=412&bih=722&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=epd:9254506042915698909,paur:ClkAsKraX-fTbtNdz-eKyba6BHlscwRx9AFLFrbSqb2Bm9JkOoi19G5Rv_1fbR-iYENeInhd-_HYIbPuBLOKOGesRmUHAGAS3zLm_oX2e4z9qTYcixiBjjYu2hIZAFPVH73nReh79xSrmaKhuUcs0aboK20DvA,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

The tw5 line from jl is very nice for .8 cube but they are damn expensive and not worth retail.

The stereo integrity bm mkiv ot mkv would be my next pick.

Maybe a pair of sundown sd8s in a small box but that would require about twice the amp you are using now.
The tw5 only comes in a 13.5" size and its $650.  Stereo integrity also doesnt seem to offer a 10" sub.  I'm looking for a 10" sub that semi competes with the 10" jl w6v3 in SQ, but for $600 with sub, enclosure and amp. I know you gotta pay to play and that's why I'm open to used parts.

Thanks...I was quoted $475 for a new jl w6v3 10" sub which should sound good in a .6 cu ft sealed box powered by a 500 watt RMS amp.    Factoring in $100 for the enclosure and $300 for an amp and I'm pushing $900, which is more than I want to spend.  I'm not opposed to buying used as long as it's in good condition and not more than a few years old.  I've been looking at the jl audio ACP110 and its a ported 10" tw1 powered by a built in 400 watt amp.  Just not sure it would be a meaningful upgrade over my current jl audio ported 8" 250 watt setup.

Secondly, the linked below 10" Dayton Ultimax is only $144.  Would this sub in a sealed enclosure with 500 watts RMS driving it sound better significantly better than my current ported 8" with 250 watts pushing it? I like the price alot.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UM10-22-Ultimax-Subwoofer/dp/B00ADR2CKQ
$100 is way too much for a sealed box, esp for a single 10, you shouldn't pay more than $40 for one. 

The Ultimax is a good sub just not very efficient, use a big amp with a lot of headroom and you will be fine.

$100 is way too much for a sealed box, esp for a single 10, you shouldn't pay more than $40 for one. 

The Ultimax is a good sub just not very efficient, use a big amp with a lot of headroom and you will be fine.
Thanks....what 10" sub would you consider more efficient and quality sounding at $250/ea or less?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.