2018 Toyota Tacoma build

Seth F.

CarAudio.com Recruit
Figured I would post some pics of my current Taco build and the changes that will take place in the next few weeks.

Current setup:
  • Stock Head Unit. Entune (Non JBL) 7" touch screen. Decent unit, I see no reason to replace it and have to deal with the cost and programming for a Maestro RR.
  • Audio Control LC7i line out converter. This made a HUGE difference in sound quality versus using the high level inputs on the Pioneer amp. Details in the photos.
  • Pioneer GM-4704. These amps had a lot of good reviews and I wanted some good sound on a budget so I started with this amp. Currently running in a 5 speaker configuration 120w @ 2ohm for the mids and highs and 120w bridged for the sub. Crossovers set at 100Hz IIRC.
  • 4 x Kicker CSC67 Coax in the doors. Again budget drivers with decent sound.
  • Kicker CompC 10" 4ohm prefabbed truck box. "Bump on a Budget"
  • Noico 80mil sound deadening.
This arrangement is a clear upgrade from the stock sound system, but its just not enough and definite issues with imaging are present. But here are some pics of what I've been running for about 9 months or so.

Pioneer Amp Wired up at a 2ohm + 4ohm load in a 5 channel setup and mounted on a simple 1/8" ABS plate under the driver seat. This was pre Audio Control LC7i. The high level inputs on this amp really ****, which is why I ended up adding the LC7i.

Driver side front door with the Noico and Kicker 6.75 Coax installed. Before and after.

Kicker CompC 10" Truck wedge and one of the 6.75 coax

I have a 4Runner and highly recommend dumping the Entune and getting a better unit. The maestro is worth the cost in my opinion. Added features are cool and install is a breeze.

I have a 4Runner and highly recommend dumping the Entune and getting a better unit. The maestro is worth the cost in my opinion. Added features are cool and install is a breeze.

What head unit are you running? I just bought an Audio Control DM-608 DSP today as part of the upcoming changes to fix the imaging issues with the Entune and at some point I was planning on modifying the bezel to install an iPad mini kit from soundman.co.

Why wouldn’t you guys get a replacement aftermarket double din...clean signal, less expensive than a dsp, easier.
I plan to go active at some point so I still need the DSP, especially if I want to run 3-ways up front + a sub. The head unit(s) I liked were all ~750-1k anyway so I chose to spend the money on amps, speakers, and a DSP now so I can really learn how to tune properly before getting in to active land. The end goal for this project is to learn how to properly tune the system and I also want to do some custom fab work and build my own custom sub box. Just like every audiophile system, it will never end 🙃

What head unit are you running? I just bought an Audio Control DM-608 DSP today as part of the upcoming changes to fix the imaging issues with the Entune and at some point I was planning on modifying the bezel to install an iPad mini kit from soundman.co.
I have the Pioneer 4400NEX. I’m currently using network mode to go active but will be upgrading to a DSP in the future. I really like the new Pioneer “floating” screen but too much money for me.

I have the Pioneer 4400NEX. I’m currently using network mode to go active but will be upgrading to a DSP in the future. I really like the new Pioneer “floating” screen but too much money for me.
Yeah that's pretty much why I chose to keep the stock HU and go with the DSP first. I really want to put an iPad in mine for the unique factor.

I think the iPad thing is cool but it’s my wife’s car so there’s no way she’d want to use it lol. Best part about the 4400NEX is Apple CarPlay. She literally gets in and goes. Her and technology don’t trust each other haha

Why wouldn’t you guys get a replacement aftermarket double din...clean signal, less expensive than a dsp, easier.
not necessarily cheaper I am running into issues with my my 2014 yota with aftermarket excelon double din, I bought an almost $100 wiring harness to be able to retain factory backup camera, steering wheels controls, factory aux and usb inputs in the console, plus radio antenna harness. I am running into issues with it im about to take it back out and try out a dsr1 on the factory deck

I think the iPad thing is cool but it’s my wife’s car so there’s no way she’d want to use it lol. Best part about the 4400NEX is Apple CarPlay. She literally gets in and goes. Her and technology don’t trust each other haha
IKR. I also want to learn the DSP route because my wife has a highlander and is disappointed AF with the bass. Its the JBL version and I aint messing with an after market HU on that MF'er. So DSP for her too :-D

not necessarily cheaper I am running into issues with my my 2014 yota with aftermarket excelon double din, I bought an almost $100 wiring harness to be able to retain factory backup camera, steering wheels controls, factory aux and usb inputs in the console, plus radio antenna harness. I am running into issues with it im about to take it back out and try out a dsr1 on the factory deck
Yeah you’re roght, I guess we have to draw a fine line between aftermarket upgrade and oem integration as both goals are clearly different.

Let the upgrades begin...

Starting work on the amp rack today. Going with 1/2” MDF mounted on the rear wall behind the seat on the drivers side. You can see the cardboard template at the bottom of the picture. I chose a location where I could use existing mounting holes and bolts where the factory plastic used to be. No idea how I’m going to arrange everything yet. Components going in the front. May mount the crossovers on the amp rack but I’m leaning more toward under the drivers seat where the pioneer currently lives. I want to avoid mounting the crossovers in the doors at all costs.

IKR. I also want to learn the DSP route because my wife has a highlander and is disappointed AF with the bass. Its the JBL version and I aint messing with an after market HU on that MF'er. So DSP for her too :-D
Is the head unit integrated with a/c or anything?

Is the head unit integrated with a/c or anything?
Not sure It just looks like a complicated dash and if all she wants is extra bass I can just delete the two channels in the rear lift gate and use that for the bass channel (if they are full range). That 608 will be able to tell me whats on each channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.