2014 Accord Sport SQ Build keep_hope_alive

with the premium touch screen does it supply more sound quality and higher volume and also can u play music through usb with it and does it allow for rca cable to be connected to it
Perfect sound quality due to 3V balanced outputs.

USB works perfectly using the factory jack.

AUX can be added, you need to solder a jack to the factory wiring.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

okk so I purchased my Honda accord today and I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to must with the factory stereo at all or lose any of the function's , but I really dislike the sound quality it doesn't even get loud when the volume levels is at 40,

what can I do/ add to this stearo to increase the overall sound quality of the head unit mainly loader music

Question on deadening the trunk.

Yesterday my family and I made a trip to Le Claire to visit Antique Archaeology. With them in the car and trying to listen to my system at lower volumes I noticed quite a bit of road noise coming from the rear of the vehicle (2008 Accord EXVL Coupe) and I believe it has to do with pulling all three rear deck speakers out (for the sub) but now I'm able to hear what's going on in the trunk.

A month or so ago I deadened my doors using peel/stick along with fiberglass tiles wrapped in plastic (as per your build) and noticed quite a reduction in road noise coming through the doors (no MLV). I'm planning on pulling the rear sides (coupe) to do the same along with treating the trunk panels in the same fashion. As per your posts the fiberglass is absorbing higher frequencies (which doesn't negatively impact mid-bass in doors). It seems (as per Google) that road noise ranges from 700 Hz to 1.3 KHz with an average around 1 KHz - is this range influenced by the fiberglass? Am I hearing less road noise in my doors from the fiberglass or the peel/stick? Did you install Ultratouch for road noise or rattles from bass (or both)?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

Question on deadening the trunk.
Yesterday my family and I made a trip to Le Claire to visit Antique Archaeology. With them in the car and trying to listen to my system at lower volumes I noticed quite a bit of road noise coming from the rear of the vehicle (2008 Accord EXVL Coupe) and I believe it has to do with pulling all three rear deck speakers out (for the sub) but now I'm able to hear what's going on in the trunk.

A month or so ago I deadened my doors using peel/stick along with fiberglass tiles wrapped in plastic (as per your build) and noticed quite a reduction in road noise coming through the doors (no MLV). I'm planning on pulling the rear sides (coupe) to do the same along with treating the trunk panels in the same fashion. As per your posts the fiberglass is absorbing higher frequencies (which doesn't negatively impact mid-bass in doors). It seems (as per Google) that road noise ranges from 700 Hz to 1.3 KHz with an average around 1 KHz - is this range influenced by the fiberglass? Am I hearing less road noise in my doors from the fiberglass or the peel/stick? Did you install Ultratouch for road noise or rattles from bass (or both)?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric
Dude, sorry for the delay. Tapatalk isn't giving me sufficient notifications. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Thanks for the message, i'm just south of LeClaire in the QC.

The rear quarters will be empty and noisy. In coupes I fill those rear quarters with sound absorption (denim) and cover any openings with MLV (or peel n seal would work).

The door treatments do two things to lower noise transfer. the fiberglass absorbs airborne resonance which would otherwise be audible in the cabin. the mass loading peel-n-stick increases transmission loss of the metal itself.

The fiberglass panels are a broadband sound absorber and behave as duct liner would due to the shape of the doors.

I install ultratouch in every cavity to reduce airborne sound resonating in the metal cavities. This works to also stiffen those panels when the density of ultratouch is high - something i also do. So the addition treats many weaknesses of automobiles.

I wasn't able to update the build log during the website transition, so many things can transpire in a year.

I was lucky enough to be part of the Beta test group for the latest offering from JL Audio - The VXi series of amplifiers.

These amplifiers are compact, offer good SQ, have the latest in tuning software and hardware with fully integrated DSP, and they are networkable so youc an connect up to 5 to a hub and program and control all five. They also offer a BT module for wireless tuning via tablet or even simple adjustments via phone with the Express app. The DRC includes two programmable level adjustments and with a press you cycle through presets (up to 10) with an LED to indicate which preset you are on.

The amps are small. Like, really small. So small there is no room for controls, so the amp is controlled digitally. There are 8 models to choose from and are available now (official release was 3/16/18). I replaced my Alpine PXA-800 processor location with the VX1000/5i. I am also experimenting with source configurations:

1. Premium stock touchscreen radio, no aftermarket HU

2. touchscreen through aftermarket HU

3. stock push button through aftermarket HU

Before:
20170926_172854.jpg

After:
20180310_181751.jpg

The Audison LRx5.1k isn't being used. The VX1000/5i replaced both components, at about $1,500 cheaper.

20180309_050904.jpg

The DRC is handy, I stashed it here:
20180309_003151.jpg

Colors indicate presets
20180309_014351.jpg

20180309_014327.jpg

The system is fully capable of SQ competition using the stock touchscreen and this one amp. It still runs the Hertz MLK-165 active front and ML3000 sub. The tuning features are also very flexible.

I used the EQ features within the JL Audio VX1000/5i amplifier to correct for the abysmal equalization within the stock head unit. I went back to the original Sport head unit and have achieved a very good sounding result, the best one yet with the original head unit.

The before and after curves are shown:
20180620_200700.jpg

Example of what the EQ looks like. Essentially, I used a shelving EQ to lower the mids and highs to help flatten the low end. Then I adjusted from there, visually, and fairly quickly. Better results are possible.
20180620_195035.jpg

Update on what the dash looks like now.
20180619_233343.jpg

Equipment included a PC for tuning the amp and PC and soundcard for measuring the response. Note that the images aren't using microphones but instead the direct RCA output from the factory head unit into the soundcard. I did have microphones in the car to take vehicle response measurements afterwards to re-do the output channel EQ.

20180620_200311.jpg

20180620_195221.jpg

I used the EQ features within the JL Audio VX1000/5i amplifier to correct for the abysmal equalization within the stock head unit. I went back to the original Sport head unit and have achieved a very good sounding result, the best one yet with the original head unit.
KHA,

Thank you for your amazing posts.  I am getting ready to potentially tap the signal in my 2015 Accord EX-L.  I am unsure why you went back to the original non touchscreen headunit after all the work involved in swapping it out.  Was there a reason that I missed?  Sorry if you have already explained and I did not see it.  You are using the Vxi amp to take away the EQ from the original stock Sport unit, correct?  Am I correct in my understanding that the EX-L headunit has all the EQ in the factory amp?

Another question is from the EX-L headunit, is the 3v output variable meaning i can use the volume control on the radio?  Right now i am using a volume control on my amp as the radio is set at 31 feeding the JL Fix which I plan to eliminate based on your information.

Thank you so much!

Justin

KHA,

Thank you for your amazing posts.  I am getting ready to potentially tap the signal in my 2015 Accord EX-L.  I am unsure why you went back to the original non touchscreen headunit after all the work involved in swapping it out.  Was there a reason that I missed?  Sorry if you have already explained and I did not see it.  You are using the Vxi amp to take away the EQ from the original stock Sport unit, correct?  Am I correct in my understanding that the EX-L headunit has all the EQ in the factory amp?

Another question is from the EX-L headunit, is the 3v output variable meaning i can use the volume control on the radio?  Right now i am using a volume control on my amp as the radio is set at 31 feeding the JL Fix which I plan to eliminate based on your information.

Thank you so much!

Justin
Hi!  I'll answer the second question first.  Yes, the signal is variable so you can control the volume with the HU.  Handy, eh!

Why did I do all this work?  It's a good question.  The answer is experimentation for the Accord community.  I felt it was worth running the VXi through it's paces, trying several configurations, to determine if this is an option for most of the 9th Gen Accord owners out there.  I mod one Accord forum and participate in another and there were a lot of questions on how to upgrade the sound system.  If I can make a simple amp install work for powering speakers, subs, and correcting for EQ then that's a real tidy solution.  Another reason is that my participating in the Beta Test group for the VXi amplifiers (we're still testing aspects and updates) meant I wanted to keep seeing how changes behave and benefit the install.

Another reason I moved back to the non-touchscreen is because the touchscreen has external components for FM, ANC, Amplifier, and HFL/BT; which I didn't have and am having a hard time finding salvage versions of the HFL/BT unit with a cut off harness (since I need to extend the wiring).  I can live without FM but losing BT/HFL is annoying.   The non-touchscreen has most of the components built-in (only ANC is external).   Also, the 8" iMid screen has a better image and better resolution with the non-touchscreen.  This may be due to the fact my touchscreen is from a 2015 Hybrid and I transplanted it in a 2014 Sport.  I can swap back at any time - and i'm tempted to given how good the touchscreen HU sounds.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great build log. My girlfriend has a 2014 Accord Sport and I've been trying to talk her into letting me put a system in. Got some great notes from you, thanks!

Probably time for an update. 187k miles and still rolling. I've printed speaker enclosures and moved to a 3-way active front stage.

As expected, I stayed with Hertz but used the High-Energy mids due to availability since the matching Mille mids are only available used.

20200331_083748.jpg

20200417_150541.jpg

The pods can be aimed to give me play with soundstage effects.

20200417_150504.jpg

And to power the additional speakers, I've moved to the JL Audio MV600/6i along with the MV1000/1 sub amp.

20190515_172305.jpg

You can see a comparison against my LRx5.1k and PXA-H800

20190420_111450.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...