2012 Ford Escape XLT - Head Unit Replacement - Unit doesn't turn on

Footy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone.
I'm trying to install a Jensen CAR70V into a 2012 Ford Escape XLT.

I've got:
- The Jensen head unit
- A wiring harness from via Amazon that fit the Ford's harness, but I've had to re-pin it a bit, so it now has a wire matching up with each wire emanating from the Ford's main stereo harness.
- An Axxess SWC-1 adapter to retain steering wheel controls

That's it. I'm trying to at least just get the stereo to turn on and have it deliver sound to the speakers. So far, I can't even get the thing to turn on.
I put together this overly-edited video yesterday so show and explain in greater detail the problems I've run into, and to give you a look at my specific situation.

Some notes:
- Somebody on a different forum has told me since posting the video, that the smaller connector carries CAN-BUS data, aux input signal from the car's aux jack, etc. He recommended a harness from Crutchfield and said "get one like this", but I don't have the knowledge to know what "like this" entails, and a lot of the websites that purport to filter search results only to what will fit my Escape end up showing me stuff that actually doesn't fit the Escape. In other words, the "will it fit" filters are just broken on some sites.
- I've replaced a head unit once, but that was on a 2001 sedan, while installing a 2006 head unit, so they were different times and it was a much simpler process. So I'm not entirely inexperienced, and I normally work on restoring old audio electronics for musicicans -- But I'm very un-knowledgable about this post-2010s car audio thing, and lord knows I'm not a genius to begin with, so explaining like I'm stupid might be a good idea.

Any help at all is appreciated. I'm trying to get this thing done and dusted and out of my mind before Winter hits here in New England, which is going to be soon.

Any help at all is appreciated. I'm trying to get this thing done and dusted and out of my mind before Winter hits here in New England, which is going to be soon.
I would do what huberoy123 suggested. Alot of users have posted a great experience with Crutchfield. I personally would not have repinned the harness. Where the manufacturer pinned it, is in accordance to their proven vehicle pinout guide. For example, their harness pinned row2 slot4 for backup camera positive. But what if your car does not have a backup camera? You just pinned that backup wire to who knows what. I would set it back before any damage occurs. If some wires are not in accordance with the harness I would not worry about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.