2009 Nissan Frontier King Cab Build Recommendation

Participant count
  • Participants list

BrahUMirin

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Hey everyone, Ive gone through the past couple of months or so in posts on here back to march to see what subwoofer brands everyone recommends and I have a couple of questions.

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10in or 12 in

Budget: ~$200

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): dont have an amp yet

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): Im thinking around 1.25 cf, the king cabs dont have a ton of space in the back, and I want a forward firing setup that takes up a little bit of both back seats in the middle, but low enough to still slide my rear window open and closed. I can edit in picture to give a better idea. because of how the front seats are, it would probably have to be a slanted back box and not a rectangular one.

Goals: I want sound quality (also looking for tweeter recs) at 800-1500 rms loudness. Im not entirely sure how much of a difference there is at this range? I know air space might be a problem and some of the 1250s Ive been looking at might not fit, which is why I want your opinions. (also what is scl?) I do want ported btw.

Listening habits: everything. I want to have the ability for friends to play what they want and it sound good. But personally I like drum and bass and want responses <40hz.

Preferred brands/subs/whatever:

Considering:
CROSSFIRE CAR AUDIO C5-10D4-V3
$230 for 800 rms

Crescendo Forte 10
$200 for 800 rms

SUNDOWN AUDIO SA Series Rev.3 10
$220 for 750 rms
This is supposed to be everyone's favorite brand, its just that its very not value. How much better quality does this really have over massive or american bass?

Wolfram Audio Ag-10
$220 for 1250 rms
I know theres a grandpa around here that likes these, what I really wanna ask is how much space would these need? they seem like great value but if 1250 is out of my space.....

Alpine type R
Ive heard nothing but bad about alpine.........

Skar Audio DDX-10
I know............. skarbage. But say objectively if I buy one used from a friend (that Im not supporting skar directly) are they factually bad subs? I could get 1000 rms for <$140.

Massive Audio SUMMOXL104
$220 for 1500 rms
Massive also has some cheaper subs that seem like great value. I havent read much of anything about them here on the forum tho so Im worried about build quality...

Lastly Ive heard tons of good stuff about kicker, but when I looked it didnt really seem like they had anything north of 700rms and kinda expensive at that. Ive also seen this other ssa site mentioned around here before, but their zcon or icon whatever didnt really seem value at $280+ for 800 rms, so I prob wont even bother with them.

I also forgot american bass which seems like great value, its just Im really not a fan of the deisgn and if Id go that cheap Id probably stick with massive.

Thanks again everyone and Ill prob make some edits here soon.
Sorry for the large faunt, thats what the formatting did when I copy pasted.

< 40 hz response,What's wrong with the ssa demon? It's in your price range. The 10 would work great in a smallish,non pre fab enclosure, 1k ish amplifier. Just wondering seen you looked at the other ssa subs.

< 40 hz response,What's wrong with the ssa demon? It's in your price range. The 10 would work great in a smallish,non pre fab enclosure, 1k ish amplifier. Just wondering seen you looked at the other ssa subs.
no, the two I looked at were something -cons. Dcon maybe? idk I closed the tab.

the demon is 550 rms for $180

Gcon and icon. I think you might be too hung up on rms ratings.
Also you said sound quality but didn't list any sq subs on your main list. Usually hear names like dayton,ssa,image dynamics etc. Associated with sq not skar,massive audio,wolfram etc.

I though sundown and crescendo were high quality subs? I dont know if sq has to do with build quality or what thats why Im here asking. Ive never heard of dayton or image dynamics.

Yeah rms kinda matters to me. I dont necessarily want to buy something thats hq, but half as powerful and cant really feel in your chest lol.

faggitabout skar and massive audio so those are a no. the sundown SA is an extremely well rounded budget friendly sub and don't let the 2.5" vc throw you for a loop. after an sa I would look at FI ssd or bl

FYI I have 6 10" sundown sa's they are conservatively rated at 750 watts

Last edited:
I think a Gcon 10 ported in a well designed enclosure or something similarly geared toward Sq might be to your liking.
put it on a 1000-1500 watt amp and wire it 1 ohm. Be sure to get a D2 as 1 ohm amps in that range are fairly inexpensive nowadays.
You stated under 40hz above? and that'll be easy to get with a decent enclosure and quality driver. I'm reading this like you want a nice all around sound, punchy and accurate?

Here is a setup I was able to find a video for visual purposes. At 2:00 thats about the space I have to work with, but unlike his, Im gonna have mine almost twice as tall with the sub being forward firing instead. Do you guys think thats enough sq ft for how much power Im wanting to push?

faggitabout skar and massive audio so those are a no. the sundown SA is an extremely well rounded budget friendly sub and don't let the 2.5" vc throw you for a loop. after an sa I would look at FI ssd or bl

FYI I have 6 10" sundown sa's they are conservatively rated at 750 watts

After watching some reviews about skar and how the cone dimpled after a simple demo, Im 100% avoiding it. Massive and american bass seem loud for the money, but that doesnt exactly mean accurate. And like shredder said I am looking for accuracy. Sundown has nothing but excellent review and some people run it at 800+ like you were saying with no issues. Its just damn I has hoping to maybe spend less lol.

I though sundown and crescendo were high quality subs? I dont know if sq has to do with build quality or what thats why Im here asking. Ive never heard of dayton or image dynamics.

Yeah rms kinda matters to me. I dont necessarily want to buy something thats hq, but half as powerful and cant really feel in your chest lol.
Sq = sound quality which is subjective.
Spl= sound pressure level
Sounds like you're going for a little bit of both then?
Enclosure is half the battle.
Are you doing anything with your electrical?

Sq = sound quality which is subjective.
Spl= sound pressure level
Sounds like you're going for a little bit of both then?
Enclosure is half the battle.
Are you doing anything with your electrical?
My alternator is 130 amps, so Id be hoping thatd be enough. Im not sure if a stock battery is enough to handle a 1500w+ amp? I have a 4 channel amp going to 4 door speakers already thats 1k watt, so idk yet.

That's a new one on me. So 225 watts rms per channel? Or is that max ratings? Or @2 ohms?
Idk regardless with a 1.5k + mono amp you're going to need to do something with it.
Its 100rms going to each iirc, and they are 6x9 front 6.5 back $60 rockford fosgate speakers. Forget which model, Ive had them a while. That amp I have is nt made anymore I think, but its been good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.