2005 Ford Focus ZX4

Participant count
  • Participant list
Welcome back man!! Deff a tight spot there... But Hey?? Let it roll .Ha Ha!! Love it.
You Deff. have some creative crafting skills man, and some really focused and layed out plans for your build and driver locations. Always Interesting to see whats Next!!
Thx brohamster. I've really wanted to get a large fullrange on axis in the car. If I still had my 550I I could definetly done an 8",but my focus is small. We'll try a 5" first, then maybe upgrade to a 6.5" If you have an IG you can see a bunch of other stuff I havent posted here. @kevinmccradic

Here are a few more pictures of the mounts for the "salad bowl" enclosures. I put down a layer of tape, and drew a template so I knew where my outline was. Then I used hot glue and wooden dowels to get the initial form that I could cover in some reinforced fiberglass.
IMG_0609.jpgIMG_0611~1.jpgIMG_0612.jpg
This is why I like working with bamboo. The next couple of photos show me trying to glue a dowel rod to the others but it is straight. It doesn't match up with the contours of the panel. In the second photo you can see by some "cooperative" bending the wooden dowel takes the shape of the door panel. You can feel the fibers being crushed when you bend it. Its a satisfying sensation. You can't bend it into a circle but it does move quite a bit.
IMG_0617~1.jpgIMG_0618.jpg
Once all that nonsese is complete we end up with something like this..

IMG_0619.jpgIMG_0620.jpg

Last edited:
Then we add a little reinforced filler and sand...
IMG_0627.jpgIMG_0628.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0632.jpg
So that's where I'm at. The next step is to mount the salad bowls to the bases and use more dowels and reinforced fiberglass to get a cool shape. Hope to have more for you sunday.

Last edited:
So I'll hit ya with some pics straight off...
IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg

So the midbass trim panel has been covered and they have been wired up not screwed down yet. I spent a good amount of time working on the fullrange at the top of the door and the glove box sub today.

I added a same little section to face of the subwoofer so it closes up the gap where it meets the kickpanels. There was a 3" open space and it was driving me crazy.
IMG_0642.jpg

After I added a couple layers of reinforced filler and sanded this is where were at. ..
IMG_0645.jpg
Here is a closer shot. You can see the two holes on the right of the enclosure. These are two of the three mounting locations. I used some m6 rivnuts and sank them into the skeleton of the dash.
IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0648.jpg

So that brings us to our next post. The 5" fullrange in he door.
IMG_0650.jpg

Last edited:
So this has been a pain in the butt as I will show you. The fabrication is the normal stuff but getting the two to line up and match is proving difficult. Still I do have some progress photos that I can share with you.
IMG_0657.jpg
Like the previous post. This is the goal. They are meant to be cross firing with a slight upwards tilt. This pic shows the frame with the popsicle sticks already attached.
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg

Here is a shot of the drivers side temp glued. As you can see the alignment is off. The left still needs some bodywork so they will match closer. I did this three times. lol And let me tell you; crawling into the back to take the photo everytime must have been hilarious to watch.

IMG_0655.jpg

It might be saturday before I get to post on the build so stay tuned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...