2002 Toyota Camry amp and sub troubles

chamleyt21

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kansas
I am trying to wire an aftermarket stereo, sub, and amp into my 2002 toyota camry. Wiring the sub and amp was easy until i got to the stereo. I had everything set up but I could not find an adapter anywhere that went from the toyota's 20 pin to the aftermarket stereo. Since i coulod not find one i tried to directly wire it to the car, which I can't do because there are random wires with non-standard colors that I have no idea what are. I also found out that since my toyota had a jbl audio system, it has a factory amp. What do I do to make sure all of the factory speakers work along with my sub? And what do all of the wire colors mean? In need of some pretty desperate help here...

I am trying to wire an aftermarket stereo, sub, and amp into my 2002 toyota camry. Wiring the sub and amp was easy until i got to the stereo. I had everything set up but I could not find an adapter anywhere that went from the toyota's 20 pin to the aftermarket stereo. Since i coulod not find one i tried to directly wire it to the car, which I can't do because there are random wires with non-standard colors that I have no idea what are. I also found out that since my toyota had a jbl audio system, it has a factory amp. What do I do to make sure all of the factory speakers work along with my sub? And what do all of the wire colors mean? In need of some pretty desperate help here...
I was also thinking that I could possibly bypass the factory amp somehow, if anyone knows exactly how to do that.

Hiya, I had a similar issue with my 2006 toyota corolla. the colours they use seem completely random.
to find wire colours for your car, I'd suggest googling your car model and then adding 'Wiring colors' or 'stereo wiring diagram'. then view 'Image' results, like this:

in the image on the right you can see wire colours and the description to match. keep searching through these until you find one that has almost all the same colours available, there might be some missing or extras for illuminaiton or steering wheel controls, etc.

when you find one that suits the wiring in your car, you could use a multi meter to test for voltage across the constant power and ground to see if those wires are correct. this might help you confirm that yo have the right colours.

then what I did was write out a table that matched my stereo harness to what I found on line, like this :

this worked for me, I hope it can help you :)
cheers, Alec.

Your other option it so run fresh wire to all speakers. Finding +12, ACC, and Ground behind the dash should be easy enough with Google and a DMM to confirm, a good new aftermarket head unit will probably do better for speaker level outs than 20 year old Toyota amp so just run all fresh wires to your doors and rear deck from the head unit. If you're running aftermarket amp you just need rem and RCAs from the head unit to the amp then wire the amp directly to all the speaker locations.

For future reference Crutchfield is a top source if you need install accessories, trim kits, wiring harnesses, etc. They're very good and I often buy head units from them just for all the "free" install kit stuff they throw in.

Just curious if anyone else had any issues with the aftermarket wiring harnesses i.e. the illumination dimmer pin being in the wrong slot? Installed my new headunit and about a week later I noticed a burnt electronic smell coming from the dash and I lost all gauge illumination, was a nightmare to drive at night lol, being on a diy budget I spent about 2 weeks tracing every wire and apparently Toyota does there illumination dimming differently than what most aftermarket headlights do, so apparently it was not compatible (dimmer control) and the little knob on the dash burned out,
Moral of my story is you can never do too much research into something, especially if that something can catch fire lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...