2002 Lexus GS300 Mark Levinson amp upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

natman

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2002 Lexus GS300. It has the Mark Levinson sound system. Alas, it also has the Navigation system, which includes the HVAC controls in the touchscreen and makes it impractical to replace the head unit.

The ML system is pretty good, but there's certainly room for improvement. I'm considering upgrading the speakers, but I'm concerned that the stock amp won't have enough power. This has raised a few questions:

Does anyone know the specs for the ML amp? Output in RMS watts, impedance of the speakers, pin diagrams?

Is there an aftermarket amp with more power that will replace the ML amp and still be compatible with the stock head unit?

Are there connectors compatible with stock available?

Thanks.

Specs on the factory systems are nearly non-existent. You can usually find a brochure that talks about total system wattage (peak) but rarely anything useful. Possible you could find info on a Lexus forum for that generation if you search long enough.

Pin diagrams may be found if you pay for access to service manual websites, a day subscription can be enough to download a ton of info.

Unlikely the factory amp harness has an adapter that makes replacement plug-and-play, i've never seen that for those models. You could do some digging and fine a website that sells the same harness, then make your own adapters.

Most amplifiers can accept signals that range in voltage from low to high. Each factory system is unique if it uses a low signal into the amp or a high signal. The primary questions are how many speakers are in the car and if the speakers have passive crossovers mounted to them or if the factory amplifier had electronic crossovers. This is best determined by some research on your end looking at the number of amplifier outputs and tracing wire colors to each speaker.

I have found a spec page from one of the Lexus Mark Levinson sedans. It depicts speaker layout and each one is labeled 8Ω. Those odds are good enough for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...