2 woofers with different LPF setting

Participant count
  • Participants list

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
Has anyone ran 2 of the same subs and had different crossover settings for each? 1 sub set for the lows and one set higher?
Would you need 2 amps, or are there (dsp?) that can handle it with one amp?
Would you need seperate boxes for each driver?
Im guessing you would get better sound across a broader freq range.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, it was bouncing around in my head.

It might be a cool experiment to use an 18 for 20-40hz and a 10 for 40-80 hz, but in the end the effort to do it would make it impractical. The 18 could play from 20-80 hz fairly effectively all by itself. That’s not to say it wouldn’t be fun to mess around with though, and with a DSP you could definitely tune it to sound decent I’m sure.

Phase and timing would be a nightmare.

You are much better off doing a proper door install to let your door speakers play down to 60-70hz and cut you subs down to 60hz

Playing with the phase alone can make a drastic difference with the 60-80hz range as most basic systems run into cancelation since the subs are out of phase with the mids. And even though the lpf and high pass filter lessen the effect both have generally low slopes.

As said above you have a good chance of running into issues. I tried something similar when I was in my teens but the 18 was on 1500 watts so when the sealed 12 tried to hit 60 hz with a whopping 400 watts it was just embarrassing. The 18 played those notes better if I let it. Yes you would want separate amps, yes they would need separate enclosures. Even then probably not ideal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...