2 way passive and 3way active crossovers in line from amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

robert smith

CarAudio.com Newbie
hi, im am so new its embarrassing to ask, but i bought a 74 datsun 260 z that was set up for stereo comp.-- 25 yrs ago. it has an extra stereo alt., 2 extra batteries,
old kicker(by stillwater) 600X2 amp, and 2 : 12" woofers, 6.5 mtx mid, mbquart tweeters, coustic xm-3, 3 way crossover, 2 big capacitors, lots of 1/0 copper wire,
alesis 2X 30 position EQ(not hooked up tho). just a cheap kenwood stereo player. the system boots up and runs, and sounds pretty good, but the tweeters have no sound.
the first question is: should there be a passive crossover near the mid and tweeter spkrs, since there is the 3way active crossover back near the amps? is using
2 crossovers in line ok ? the 3way has frt., rear, and subwoofer, inputs and outputs.
second(of many) question: how is the alesis eq wired into the system ? are there general wiring diagrams, i can look at ?
i would love to get this old school audio system back to working properly.
thanks for any advice, robert

passive impliments in an active system are usually employed to protect drivers from receiving spikes in signal from frequencies outside their playable range. if your tweeters have simple 6db slope 2way passive circuitry, the capacitor protects them from lower frequencies and will disconnect the circuit if the capacitor fails, which they all do with age.

i would think to start there as that is usually the culprit considering the age of equipment used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.