2 12s in Sealed box help under seat Pickup truck

Participant count
  • Participants list

MustyBuff

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all,
looking for some thoughts on what my current set up issues are.
i have a 2011 Silverado with a 2000 watt sundown audio amp with 0 gauge wire. I do also have aftermarket door speakers with a 400watt amp (I don't believe that is pertinent). Stock electronics on the truck except for a stock battery replaced with deep cycle battery. Im going to start by explaining my first setup (for good reason) and then i will explain my current set up.
I believed i had a decent understanding on audio/car audio but i am befuddled on this.

My issue
I have upgraded from my first setup (below) to a custom sealed box with bigger & better subs thinking i could get some louder response out of the truck and i have lost loudness:
The first set up was a groundshaker box for 2 12s sealed down firing under the rear seat with 2 sundown shallow mount 12s off of a 2000 watt sundown amp on about 3/4 power.

Box: https://ground-shaker.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=382&name=gs-jchv212b-black-12-dual-sealed-sub-box-fits-chevy-silverado-gmc-extended-double-cab-2007-2017&Itemid=104&lang=en

Subs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013CWBVT6/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I tuned the amp down a bit in an effort to preserve the subs since they rms at 500watts and my amp is 2kwatts. This set up actually banged pretty loud for a sealed box... of course i wanted louder as all bass heads want.

In an attempt to increase my loudness - I lifted the rear seat 3 inches to fit a bigger box and bigger subs under and reached out to a well known custom box builder. Here is where it gets tricky please try to stick with me.
I had a pair of heavily used DC audio level 3 12s in my storage unit from a previous setup in a different car (previous set up was the same amp in a ported box and that absolutely slammed). I incorrectly told the box builder that the subs i had in the storage unit were sundown SA 12s, so he designed the box with the specs of the SA 12s. The DC audio subs still fit in the custom box with a bit of clearance for the magnet, however, they were significantly quieter than my previous setup. In fact, i put the shallow mount subs back in the box and they are louder than the DCs. The custom box comes in at about 3 total cubic feet before displacement. Im fairly certain the wiring is all correct and the subs are getting enough power because they are getting warm after 20 mins of play time. The DC subs would bottom out on low-lows as well.
The custom box and sundown shallow mount sub sounds great with acoustics. Rock and country sounds great (better than the old setup), but my 808s with hiphop/rap is damn near silent.

Here are my thoughts of possible issues im running into.
1) the box was designed to spec of a different sub and DC subs are effectively performing
2) the DC audio subs were played too hard in the past setup and are dead.
3) the box has too much volume per sub? The subs are drowning?

I am thinking about buying the sundown SA 12s but at $200 a sub i wanted other opinions before pulling the trigger.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some insight,
Happy Holidays!

Sealed boxes are a waste of time amd money especially down firing or up firing into the seat. You get the same affect as yelling into a pillow.

You need to use a custom made ported box if you want any decent amount of loudness out of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.