1996 Honda Civic coupe audio help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Smurfy76

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
Ok so here is my setup as of right now. So I have a 12 inch Kenwood sub powered by a 200 watt Rockford fosgate amp. Interior Speakers are nothing impressive. 2 6x9 rear and 2 5.25 in the front. Like i said nothing to special. So being it's my birthday my wife decided to enlist some help and completely upgrade the system. I'm keeping the sub and amp but adding in 4 6inch audiopipe mid range speakers a Clarion equalizer and I'm guessing another amp and tweeters.(Last package hasn't arrived yet). So here's some questions as I'm new to doing this kind of equipment.

1. Can I split the mid-range between the front and the back? I'm curious on this as it's a Honda and not alot of space.

2. What's the best way of tuning all of this. Was thinking of having a shop tune it after it's installed depending on what they charge. I read sending the wrong frequency can damage the mid-range speakers.

3. Am thinking of buying speaker pods unless someone has a better way of mounting them.

Below is a list of what I know I have for the system.

4-audiopipe apmb-638s8-c
Clarion eqs755

The rest I will post when I know.

Last edited:
So the plan is to eliminate the 5.25s and 6x9s in favor of the 6.5 aps. There are trim reduction rings for 6x9 to 6.5 for the rears. As for the fronts, you may enlarge the speaker openings or use spacers.
Screenshot_20200526-021556(1).png
Screenshot_20200526-021354(1).png
As for the 6.5s, they will be ok with the radio's power for the time being. When you get the amp for them, you can get some two-way passive crossovers to easily wire them. Another option is to run the 6.5s and tweeters active. You use the two rear channels of the amp for mids and two front channels for highs. A bit more complicated, but better way to tune to your liking.

So the plan is to eliminate the 5.25s and 6x9s in favor of the 6.5 aps. There are trim reduction rings for 6x9 to 6.5 for the rears. As for the fronts, you may enlarge the speaker openings or use spacers.View attachment 21927View attachment 21926 As for the 6.5s, they will be ok with the radio's power for the time being. When you get the amp for them, you can get some two-way passive crossovers to easily wire them. Another option is to run the 6.5s and tweeters active. You use the two rear channels of the amp for mids and two front channels for highs. A bit more complicated, but better way to tune to your liking.
So I was thinking the front I would use a pod unless the spacer is better and the back I did see the conversion plate but would I need two more tweeters in the back as well? As far as wiring goes my plan is to go from HU to Clarion EQ to amp and use the amp to push the speakers. It will be alot of wiring I have to do but worth it in the end. I know these maybe newbie questions but it's my first component speaker build so wanna get it right. I'm used to just your typical car speakers.

What amp and tweeters did you already order?

It seems you could have went with 2 pairs of component speakers front and rear for the same if not less cost...

I didn't pick these out it was my wife as a gift. She had help from her brother and he picked it all out really.

So it was a taramps ds440x4 amp that came today. She didn't order tweeters so I picked up a pair so now comes the fun part. Wiring it all.

You could forgo the rear tweeters for they are quite close to your passengers head and painfully unpleasant. But if you like them back there then go for it. You can always keep it chill when people are back there. I have an old Clarion eq hooked up to a JVC single din and it sounds sweet. It has a master volume that I prefer over the button volume. Newbie questions are always welcome. Lots of great people here with skillz, so do not hesitate.

You could forgo the rear tweeters for they are quite close to your passengers head and painfully unpleasant. But if you like them back there then go for it. You can always keep it chill when people are back there. I have an old Clarion eq hooked up to a JVC single din and it sounds sweet. It has a master volume that I prefer over the button volume. Newbie questions are always welcome. Lots of great people here with skillz, so do not hesitate.
Ty. Yeah I don't usually have people in the back seat. I just didn't know if it would mess up the sound.

So this will be how I wire it.

Eq will be connected to HU by rca.
Than I will run 3 sets of rca to the amps.
Than mid-range will be wired to secondary amp.

So my question is should I piggy back the tweeters off the same wire as the mid-range or should the have their own wire running from the amp.

These are the tweeters I bought. Not super powered but for what I have it seems fine.

These are the tweeters I bought. Not super powered but for what I have it seems fine.
Those will do just fine, even with the slightest power, tweeters tend to get loud.
The tweeters will be wired directly to your midranges. They have a built in crossover so do not worry about damaging them. Just start with your gains low, and increase gradually until volume is to your liking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.