1200 rms amplifier current

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lucero8807

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
I have a 2021 Toyota Corolla. Just bought a Kicker cxa1200 rms amplifier. And 2 12’ Kicker Comp r with 500 RMS each. Is that too much power for my 115amp alternator with 12v? 1200 rms does that mean it runs 1200 rms all the time? I don’t want to destroy my alternator or do a big 3 upgrade. I’m planning on just playing the bass 30% if that will keep the current lower, I don’t know. Can someone help?

I have a 2021 Toyota Corolla. Just bought a Kicker cxa1200 rms amplifier. And 2 12’ Kicker Comp r with 500 RMS each. Is that too much power for my 115amp alternator with 12v? 1200 rms does that mean it runs 1200 rms all the time? I don’t want to destroy my alternator or do a big 3 upgrade. I’m planning on just playing the bass 30% if that will keep the current lower, I don’t know. Can someone help?

Border line. 1200-1500 is the round-about wattage you can get away with on stock electrical. No it doesn't run 1200 rms all the time.

You should be ok, The amp wont sit using full power 100% of the time. You might get some voltage drop and head lights dimming here and there, But other than that i dont see it causing any long term damage.

I run a 1200W amp in my corolla and it holds up fine for normal music listening. I did replace the flooded battery up front with a good AGM when that went.

Obviously this is adding extra stress to your alternator and battery but you shouldn't need to run out and buy expensive upgrades to run a 1200W amp in a modern car.

Nobody can predict how long your alternator will last, but it's not like a stereo is going to instantly ravage it. I've only had one alternator fail, and if i remember correctly, it was BEFORE i added an amp in a 1985 Nissan pickup.

I run a 1200W amp in my corolla and it holds up fine for normal music listening. I did replace the flooded battery up front with a good AGM when that went.

Obviously this is adding extra stress to your alternator and battery but you shouldn't need to run out and buy expensive upgrades to run a 1200W amp in a modern car.
Thanks. I’d prefer not to have to install an high output alternator because I decided to upgrade from my previous 15’ comp subwoofer and kicker dx125. I know, big jump.

Nobody can predict how long your alternator will last, but it's not like a stereo is going to instantly ravage it. I've only had one alternator fail, and if i remember correctly, it was BEFORE i added an amp in a 1985 Nissan pickup.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and try not to bump it too hard. Maybe it won’t use as much current? It’s hard not to thump it, it sounds so good.

I would at the least do the Big3. Would deff help out
If I see any dimming or anything like that, that would be my first upgrade. Most likely get a battery that can handle it better than my Toyota battery (once it dies). But I’m opposed to putting a bigger alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...