12" Brahma or XXX? Spec by Spec / Myth by Myth

theimpaler
10+ year member

Which is the better sub for a SQ system? A 12" Adire Audio Brahma Mark II or a 12" Resonant Engineering XXX? In a quest for my answer, i have poured over the specs for both subs.

1. Both use Adire's patented XBL2 motor so both should a have a flat BL curve and

a linear sound.

............................Brahma...................XXX

2. BL.......................15.9.....................17.1

3. SPL 1w/1m............84.4.....................85.9

4. FS.......................28........................27

5. SD.......................436......................480

6. Xmax....................28........................32

7. Power (rms)..........1600....................1600

Am i missing something are do the specs clearly point to the XXX? And interestingly, according to the SPL spec, is it not MORE sensitive than a brahma? I have read all of the threads concerning these 2 subs and have always noticed that people claim the brahma is the more sensitive of the 2 and the XXX will need more power to move the same as a Brahma. It is just the opposite no? The only spec that i am confused on is the BL. What is the significance of having a higher or lower BL?

I will be powering this sub with about 800 watts RMS. Per Adire's website this would be almost enough to achieve the mechanical max of a brahma. Does the same hold true for the XXX. Intuitively, especially from the SPL specs, i would think so. Even more so with the XXX since it is more sensitive. Am I misunderstanding something here? Criticism/corrections welcomed.

P.S. Before any of you post these are not SQ subs, you are wrong, check their websites. "Designed to be the ultimate in sound quality" is a direct quote from RE's website about their XXX line.

Not speaking from personal experience, as I have not heard an XXX in person as of yet, it is the general concensus of the knowledgable that the Brahma has slightly better SQ (in the form of transients and transparency) whilst the XXX is a touch louder (Xmax + Sd). To an untrained ear, however, the two will sound very similar. As a former Brahma owner, I can assure you that it is a very capable and potent subwoofer and I can only imagine the XXX is of the same leaf.

There are other subwoofers in the same class, however. More options are always better, albeit harder to decide on. The Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 comes to mind, first and foremost. Cheaper, and IMHO, better sounding and louder (not opinion). Just something else to think about. Likewise, Crystal, Diamond, JL are other options as well.

What is the significance of having a higher or lower BL?
Depends on your goal. too much or too little is a bad thing. But remember, that is only one part of the equation. What's listed is the peak BL. Peak means nothing, just a reference point. Don't worry too much about it.

P.S. Before any of you post these are not SQ subs, you are wrong, check their websites. "Designed to be the ultimate in sound quality" is a direct quote from RE's website about their XXX line.
Being here long enough, I think everyone knows about the brahma and the XXX. lol! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

hold up you are saying the magnum D2 is louder than the xxx or that it will be louder with 800wattts considering the xxx is supposed to be all power hungry and what not

hold up you are saying the magnum D2 is louder than the xxx or that it will be louder with 800wattts considering the xxx is supposed to be all power hungry and what not
i HOPE THAT IS NOT BEING SAID...

Not speaking from personal experience, as I have not heard an XXX in person as of yet, it is the general concensus of the knowledgable that the Brahma has slightly better SQ (in the form of transients and transparency) whilst the XXX is a touch louder (Xmax + Sd). To an untrained ear, however, the two will sound very similar. As a former Brahma owner, I can assure you that it is a very capable and potent subwoofer and I can only imagine the XXX is of the same leaf.
There are other subwoofers in the same class, however. More options are always better, albeit harder to decide on. The Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 comes to mind, first and foremost. Cheaper, and IMHO, better sounding and louder (not opinion). Just something else to think about. Likewise, Crystal, Diamond, JL are other options as well.
Wait......how can it be better sounding when u haven't heard the xxx.

Of course the Mag will come to mind first, your an SI rep. lol

Which is the better sub for a SQ system? A 12" Adire Audio Brahma Mark II or a 12" Resonant Engineering XXX? In a quest for my answer, i have poured over the specs for both subs.
1. Both use Adire's patented XBL2 motor so both should a have a flat BL curve and

a linear sound.

............................Brahma...................XXX

2. BL.......................15.9.....................17.1

3. SPL 1w/1m............84.4.....................85.9

4. FS.......................28........................27

5. SD.......................436......................480

6. Xmax....................28........................32

7. Power (rms)..........1600....................1600

Am i missing something are do the specs clearly point to the XXX? And interestingly, according to the SPL spec, is it not MORE sensitive than a brahma? I have read all of the threads concerning these 2 subs and have always noticed that people claim the brahma is the more sensitive of the 2 and the XXX will need more power to move the same as a Brahma. It is just the opposite no? The only spec that i am confused on is the BL. What is the significance of having a higher or lower BL?

I will be powering this sub with about 800 watts RMS. Per Adire's website this would be almost enough to achieve the mechanical max of a brahma. Does the same hold true for the XXX. Intuitively, especially from the SPL specs, i would think so. Even more so with the XXX since it is more sensitive. Am I misunderstanding something here? Criticism/corrections welcomed.

You gotta remember. ..... With the spider/basket RE uses...32mm xmax really isn't a possible number.

And Just an FYI. Mobile Entertainment did a review of the Brahma Mk1. Was tested to do 29.5 mm xmax. Mk2 is supposed to have a little more xmax from what it says on the Adire site. So you can pretty much come to conclusion that the xmax between the two is a very SLIM difference, not the advertised 4 mm difference

Wait......how can it be better sounding when u haven't heard the xxx.
Of course the Mag will come to mind first, your an SI rep. lol
I believe he was saying that the Mag D2 is louder and better sounding than the Adire Brahma he used to own.

Actually, the basket and spider that both RE and Adire use allow for excursions up to around 33-34mm.

The XXX is definitely pushing that limit harder than the Brahma... what I mean is, Xmech is not very far past Xmax on the XXX (and actually, it's Xsus limited... Xmag is actually beyond the capability of the basket!).

With the Brahma, neither Xmag or Xsus are longer than Xmech... but it's really of little consequence, as both these drivers realistically have enough excursion to be more than comparable in that respect. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

they are virtually identical in performance, and sound, to most people..

flip a coin, pick which you like to look at more...

I've accumulated hour upon hour of ear time with every size Brahma and XXX made.. unless you're trained, anal retentive, or both (me), you'll tell almost no difference..

*rant*

dunno why people hang up on the 'SQ' portion on a woofer, and they'll pick a cheap set of front speakers in five minutes to cover the other 7 octaves...

*end rant*

Loyd L.

find a bias quickly, that always helps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

another way to tell is find someone you know with one or the other, then pick the one they don't have. who wants the same sub as their friends?

who wants the same sub as their friends?
Apparently all my friends. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

something that wasn't touched too well is that 800W isn't really going to be enough for the XXX unless it is in a large box (3^3 at least) for the 12" model to really show its SPL potential. i'm not going to speak for the brahma since i have only had experience with the 15", but if it were me i would consider a different sub if space could be a problem (or get a new/another amp).

*rant*

dunno why people hang up on the 'SQ' portion on a woofer, and they'll pick a cheap set of front speakers in five minutes to cover the other 7 octaves...

*end rant*

Loyd L.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

Most true thing I read all day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.