10w7 enclosure (Sealed JL ProWedge vs. Gately Audio Kerf/Slot Port)

TOURING18

CarAudio.com Newbie
I've been enjoying the 10 W7 in a sealed pro-wedge for a good 2 years now and I'm considering switching things up. Gately is now pre-fabing W7 boxes to JL spec and that has me interested while I save $ a custom 6th order. Will I miss the SQ I've come to love by going ported? I'm only powering the W7 with a VX1000/5i (~500rms) so I'd expect the port will help make up some the lack of power.

Thoughts on what I can expect? Appreciate the feedback.

W7 is a fine performer sealed or ported. Not sure what the JL recommended specs are on the 10" these days but the 12s I've seen or built boxes for seem to like a bit larger than recommended volume to give the sort of sound I like.

I don't imagine you'll be disappointed though, the W7 is versatile enough to do well in both alignments.

W7 is a fine performer sealed or ported. Not sure what the JL recommended specs are on the 10" these days but the 12s I've seen or built boxes for seem to like a bit larger than recommended volume to give the sort of sound I like.

I don't imagine you'll be disappointed though, the W7 is versatile enough to do well in both alignments.

Appreciate the response!!! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

I've been enjoying the 10 W7 in a sealed pro-wedge for a good 2 years now and I'm considering switching things up. Gately is now pre-fabing W7 boxes to JL spec and that has me interested while I save $ a custom 6th order. Will I miss the SQ I've come to love by going ported? I'm only powering the W7 with a VX1000/5i (~500rms) so I'd expect the port will help make up some the lack of power.

Thoughts on what I can expect? Appreciate the feedback.

I would aim for 10-20 percent larger than recommended on the W7 as a starting point. I've owned a few JL subs including a W7 and the recommended box sizes left me underwhelmed on basically all of them except the W6. Hell, even with the 10W0 when it first came out(the V1) I found it sounded much better to me in almost double the recommended volume. Since you are under-powering the sub by a good bit the larger box volume will help you on that end as well.

Matt

I honestly would hold what you got until you saved up. Going to that Gatley box aint gonna be as big of a jump as you would think, also it would take money away from your 6th order. I would save now and shine later.

I would aim for 10-20 percent larger than recommended on the W7 as a starting point. I've owned a few JL subs including a W7 and the recommended box sizes left me underwhelmed on basically all of them except the W6. Hell, even with the 10W0 when it first came out(the V1) I found it sounded much better to me in almost double the recommended volume. Since you are under-powering the sub by a good bit the larger box volume will help you on that end as well.

Matt

That seems to be the consensus. Gately Audio is pre-fabing the box per JL's spec so ill be limited on going bigger with that option. I just figured going ported accordingly to JL spec compared to sealed would hold me over. But now you got me thinking...

I should prob start calling around asking for quote on a custom box instead for $500

https://www.gatelyaudio.com/collections/jl-audio-specific

I honestly would hold what you got until you saved up. Going to that Gatley box aint gonna be as big of a jump as you would think, also it would take money away from your 6th order. I would save now and shine later.

Yeah, that's the smart thing to do. :D It's probably going to be a couple years though. It's way more than just the 6th order. I'll be relocating everything to the trunk and probably adding another sub/amp/power. That list will only continue to grow... lol

That seems to be the consensus. Gately Audio is pre-fabing the box per JL's spec so ill be limited on going bigger with that option. I just figured going ported accordingly to JL spec compared to sealed would hold me over. But now you got me thinking...

I should prob start calling around asking for quote on a custom box instead for $500

https://www.gatelyaudio.com/collections/jl-audio-specific

Hey man, nothing wrong with a hacksaw enclosure to get some bass while you save, lol. If you have some power tools you can eaisely build a basic sealed enclosure to bump. Wood is kinda expensive right now, but a sheet of plywood is enough to make a 3 cube enclosure with the right dimensions.

Matt

I have mine in a ported that I built per JL specs and I love it. I also have a 12w7 but on a sealed box, and I prefer the sound of this 10w7 ported. It takes less power to go deep so I favor it , that is until I port the 12w7 (maybe).

That's good to hear! What are you pushing power wise to the 10?

i use to run a RE HC 12" (my avatar pic, thing weighs 41 lbs, 1200 rms) had it in 3.6 tuned to 29hz, nice

id go big and tune low

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...