10" American Bass XR or 10" Skar SDR

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mudflap

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Hi,

I'm currently running a 117 stock alternator and a decent battery (Redtop Optima). I already have a 4 channel amp running 100 RMS x 4 and I'm thinking about upgrading my subs. I'm planning to build a box for 2 10's with 3 cubic feet of internal volume. I've narrowed down my choices for subs to these two.

2 Skar SDR 10's (1200 RMS and $160, total), and with this I'll match it up with a Kicker 1200.1 amp because I get a discount at work for them and it comes out to be $245 with the knob and amp. ($405 total)

The other option, is 2 American Bass XR-10's (2000 watts and $350 total) paired up with a kicker 1800.1 amp that I get for $300 with the bass knob and amp. ($650 total)

I also have been looking at the Sundown SIA 2500 watt amp that is $300, but it scares me a bit because of the horror stories I've heard about some Brazilian amps and non stable electrical systems (like mine if I run that much power.) The specs of it seem really nice and would work great in my application, I just know that they are made cheaper and it is a bit off putting. It is supposed to be a "smart amp", which I'm pretty sure means it has a better protect mode, but I'm not entirely sure. Also a clipping light on the knob imo would be very nice.

Could my electrical even handle an 1800 watt amp with the 4 channel amp? I plan on doing the big 3 with my electrical, but even then it's still a lot of power. Should I just save my money and just get the 2 skars. The price would be really nice and I've heard them as well in a friend's car and its pretty powerful, it made his rear view mirror fall off and take a little bit of glass with it. I would like to have the American Bass XR's, but I'm not sure if I should justify spending an extra $250 for what may be a minimal difference due to my electrical system.
Thank you

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't touch skar with a 19ft pole

I'd rather run a sundown e series

Hell the lcs 10 has more motor force at 19.3 vs 10.9 for the sdr and more xmax at 14mm vs 13.5 for the sdr

All while using less power. Sundown in 85db of sensitivity vs 82 for the sdr.

Uber cheap and decent performance plus 600w would be easy on the sharing system. A JP8 would be nearly perfect set to the 600w rms and having plenty of headroom.

Damn I recommend those amps alot, I know some people think I'm shilling for them but I honestly just really like the JP amps.dislike the man's internet personality but his amps are plenty good.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm currently running a 117 stock alternator and a decent battery (Redtop Optima). I already have a 4 channel amp running 100 RMS x 4 and I'm thinking about upgrading my subs. I'm planning to build a box for 2 10's with 3 cubic feet of internal volume. I've narrowed down my choices for subs to these two.

2 Skar SDR 10's (1200 RMS and $160, total), and with this I'll match it up with a Kicker 1200.1 amp because I get a discount at work for them and it comes out to be $245 with the knob and amp. ($405 total)

The other option, is 2 American Bass XR-10's (2000 watts and $350 total) paired up with a kicker 1800.1 amp that I get for $300 with the bass knob and amp. ($650 total)

I also have been looking at the Sundown SIA 2500 watt amp that is $300, but it scares me a bit because of the horror stories I've heard about some Brazilian amps and non stable electrical systems (like mine if I run that much power.) The specs of it seem really nice and would work great in my application, I just know that they are made cheaper and it is a bit off putting. It is supposed to be a "smart amp", which I'm pretty sure means it has a better protect mode, but I'm not entirely sure. Also a clipping light on the knob imo would be very nice.

Could my electrical even handle an 1800 watt amp with the 4 channel amp? I plan on doing the big 3 with my electrical, but even then it's still a lot of power. Should I just save my money and just get the 2 skars. The price would be really nice and I've heard them as well in a friend's car and its pretty powerful, it made his rear view mirror fall off and take a little bit of glass with it. I would like to have the American Bass XR's, but I'm not sure if I should justify spending an extra $250 for what may be a minimal difference due to my electrical system.
Thank you

Have you considered these subs? The SIA amps are actually a Chinese board with Korean parts. I currently run an SIA3500 and haven't had a problem.

Screenshot_20221016-185534_Chrome.jpg

Have you considered these subs? The SIA amps are actually a Chinese board with Korean parts. I currently run an SIA3500 and haven't had a problem.

View attachment 43665
I don't really know much about CT sounds but the price difference is really close to the American Bass, not sure which one I should pick in this instance. Do you think my electrical could even handle 2k+ watts (after factoring in inefficiencies)?

You've recommended me a Sundown SIA in a previous post and that line of amps has been intriguing me since. I really do want to get the Sundown SIA amp because of its features and price point, but I still am off put by people talking about the SFB line catching on fire and apparently 2 amazon reviews talking about fires on the SIA (which tbh I think are probably fake because they were posted within the same month and almost the same complaint). I believe it is said that these amps are "smart" because they have a new system that prevents common failures for these types of amps, but should I trust it enough if I end up abusing it?

Personally I wouldn't touch skar with a 19ft pole

I'd rather run a sundown e series

Hell the lcs 10 has more motor force at 19.3 vs 10.9 for the sdr and more xmax at 14mm vs 13.5 for the sdr

All while using less power. Sundown in 85db of sensitivity vs 82 for the sdr.

Uber cheap and decent performance plus 600w would be easy on the sharing system. A JP8 would be nearly perfect set to the 600w rms and having plenty of headroom.

Damn I recommend those amps alot, I know some people think I'm shilling for them but I honestly just really like the JP amps.dislike the man's internet personality but his amps are plenty good.
Just curious, why don't people like Skar? I don't really like them because I know theirs warranties are bad, but I don't have real experience with them. Do they not last, are they inefficient? Just trying to gain knowledge.

The Sdr-10's and E-10's work well in a well designed 4th, either way I'd opt for the E-10's if you are actually going to give it a solid 2K. Otherwise the Skar would be fine. The Sundown's are built better and will handle more abuse.
I like them in a ported or 4th alignment. What vehicle and what's the goals here?
3U0ace.jpg

SMCH2V.jpg

Either/or would make a small sedan come alive if done right. Those above were for BMW and Lexus /w/ a small trunk thru the ski-pass.
Vehicle/location matters a ton.
At the E-10 or Sdr-10 level electrical may not be too much to worry about. I'd focus on enclosure.

I don't really know much about CT sounds but the price difference is really close to the American Bass, not sure which one I should pick in this instance. Do you think my electrical could even handle 2k+ watts (after factoring in inefficiencies)?

You've recommended me a Sundown SIA in a previous post and that line of amps has been intriguing me since. I really do want to get the Sundown SIA amp because of its features and price point, but I still am off put by people talking about the SFB line catching on fire and apparently 2 amazon reviews talking about fires on the SIA (which tbh I think are probably fake because they were posted within the same month and almost the same complaint). I believe it is said that these amps are "smart" because they have a new system that prevents common failures for these types of amps, but should I trust it enough if I end up abusing it?

You just need to stay above 11.5 - 12 volts and you will be fine. I went through two SFB 3K's and Down4Sound immediately replaced the first one and let me upgrade to the SIA after the second one went into protect. I've been fine ever since. It's actually my installers new favorite mono amp for his budget minded customers.

The Sdr-10's and E-10's work well in a well designed 4th, either way I'd opt for the E-10's if you are actually going to give it a solid 2K. Otherwise the Skar would be fine. The Sundown's are built better and will handle more abuse.
I like them in a ported or 4th alignment. What vehicle and what's the goals here?
3U0ace.jpg

SMCH2V.jpg

Either/or would make a small sedan come alive if done right. Those above were for BMW and Lexus /w/ a small trunk thru the ski-pass.
Vehicle/location matters a ton.
At the E-10 or Sdr-10 level electrical may not be too much to worry about. I'd focus on enclosure.
Wow thanks for the detail. I'm working with a Wrangler that has very little space behind the seat. I figured I'd run a ported box with flared PVC tube(s) as the port. I can squeeze 3 cubes of internal volume out of it (not including sub and port displacement), but sadly 4th order is out of the equation due to space. My goal used to be a single 15 but I couldn't fit it depth wise. So 2 10s is what I've fallen back on. I am really just looking for a loud system (preferably somewhat budget friendly lol).

Just curious, why don't people like Skar? I don't really like them because I know theirs warranties are bad, but I don't have real experience with them. Do they not last, are they inefficient? Just trying to gain knowledge.

Kevin at skar was helped in starting the business by Jacob at sundown and a few others. And long story short he ended up screwing several people over and in Some cases had the build house ,because they all pretty much used the same build house, pretty much make a copy of his competitors successful lines. This ***** because his competitors were doing r&d and he was reaping the benifit by making essentially the same product for slightly cheaper. I know that was part of it. I think their were some large orders that were purchased buy the group, a few of the new brands at the time, that Kevin may have stiffed the others on.

I don't really remember all of it and fear I may be misremembering but it was a big stink back in the 09-10 years and I side opposite of Kevin. I know for sure he burned a fer people that were initially helping him Jacob Fuller was one of them.

The skar vvf was designed by Jacob and was actually a very impressive sub that focused on low end bass, the sundown SA was a good all around, and obsidian made a sub at the time that was also quite good.

Yea I'm holding a 12-13year grudge over business practices and that's my choice. You don't have to if you don't want to.

Jacob Fuller has said some insulting things about the customer base, basically complaining about prices going up. Everyone wants something for nothing and Jacob pretty much called that out and a few people got offended audiobaun on here is one of those people. That's his choice I still like sundown and appreciate the amount of innovation and r&d he does. Nick at stereo integrity is another person I feel is well respected and the stereo integrity sql is a monster of a sub within it's class. Its a sound quality sub that can get loud.

American bass is just Chinese build house value product with decent QC, as is soundqubed.

Ddaudio IMHO is getting boring since all the good product is sky high expensive and they started shilling a made in China line like everyone else. Which ***** because they were shilling made in the USA for years.

You just need to stay above 11.5 - 12 volts and you will be fine. I went through two SFB 3K's and Down4Sound immediately replaced the first one and let me upgrade to the SIA after the second one went into protect. I've been fine ever since. It's actually my installers new favorite mono amp for his budget minded customers.
Thanks for the helpful info. To be honest I think I'll get it, its the clipping light on the knob that really sells me. Pretty hard to fry subs like that, and I don't have to use my o-scope if I decide to change the tuning.

Just out of curiosity though, what caused your other SFB amps to fail?

Thanks for the helpful info. To be honest I think I'll get it, its the clipping light on the knob that really sells me. Pretty hard to fry subs like that, and I don't have to use my o-scope if I decide to change the tuning.

Just out of curiosity though, what caused your other SFB amps to fail?

I have no idea what caused my SFB's to go into protect. I was playing at a very low volume level with the second one and then went into a parts store and bought something. When I started my truck after buying the part that I needed it went into protect. I was done with the SFB line after that. I'm currently waiting for the SIA5000 to come out. I'm trying to break 150 and need more power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...