1/2” birch ply sufficient for box build?

Yeah, if that means the difference in making volume spec why not?
How much volume are you really saving by the time you build up your fiberglass enough to add strength? Do you suppose that would make an audible difference?
65.00 4x8 sheet
Ouch. Lumber has at least doubled this past year across the board. But at least everybody is getting """free""" money to not work.

How much volume are you really saving by the time you build up your fiberglass enough to add strength? Do you suppose that would make an audible difference?

Ouch. Lumber has at least doubled this past year across the board. But at least everybody is getting """free""" money to not work.

not everyone, I sure wish I seen even a cent of the stimulus package lol

I sure wish I seen even a cent of the stimulus package lol
You must be one of those suckers that actually works, saves, and invests.
Just buy the 13 ply Baltic Birch. The peace of mind is worth the extra money. IMHO!
Psychosomatic benefits could be said to be priceless.

Now I defy you to show some data which would support the idea that 3/4" meme plywood would outperform 3/4" sanded pine (with or without """cabinet grade""" veneer), 3/4" MDF, 3/4" OSB, or even 3/4" particle board by any significant metric for OP's application. You'll be harder pressed to even imply any benefit whatsoever which could not be more cheaply achieved through other methods used with one of the less expensive alternative lumber types in ANY application.

I know man it kills me. What a scam all of this is.

You must be one of those suckers that actually works, saves, and invests.

Psychosomatic benefits could be said to be priceless.

Now I defy you to show some data which would support the idea that 3/4" meme plywood would outperform 3/4" sanded pine (with or without """cabinet grade""" veneer), 3/4" MDF, 3/4" OSB, or even 3/4" particle board by any significant metric for OP's application. You'll be harder pressed to even imply any benefit whatsoever which could not be more cheaply achieved through other methods used with one of the less expensive alternative lumber types in ANY application.

I'm not familiar with the pine, but I will take @Popwarhomie word for it. There are different grades and densities of ¾" MDF, that I've seen for myself. The 5 or 6 layer Baltic Birch warps like a biitch. The 13 layer Russian Baltic is a much better and stronger product for a subwoofer box. I buy my lumber for subwoofer boxes from a local lumber salesman. He carries high end grades of Birch and MDF, both ¾" and 1". I would steer clear of buying subwoofer box material from Home Depot or Lowe's. Except, maybe the pine that Pop uses. The OP could use ¾" Birch, MDF, or Pine.

I looked at the local Lowe’s for 3/4 sanded pine, they only sell 4x4 sheets.

ill have to call around and see what’s available from lumberyards, the only problem is they are usually pricy :/

Looking at HD, is this a good wood?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swaner-...ual-0-703-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-971080/203005208

What I dislike about lumberyards is they don’t cut it and putting in a 4x8 sheet into a Tahoe has scuffed the interior... that bothers me. If they would cut it so it’s not 4’ wide, I’ll do that all day.

at least with Lowe’s/HD, I can get it chopped up pretty close and square off any cuts I need to make/correct.

#firstworldproblems

Last edited:
I looked at the local Lowe’s for 3/4 sanded pine, they only sell 4x4 sheets.

ill have to call around and see what’s available from lumberyards, the only problem is they are usually pricy :/

In Vegas, you can get the good 1" MDF for $63 per 4' x 10' sheet. Just look for some good ¾" MDF and run with it. I'm running a single layer ¾" MDF in a 3,000 watt box that is sufficiently braced.

In Vegas, you can get the good 1" MDF for $63 per 4' x 10' sheet. Just look for some good ¾" MDF and run with it. I'm running a single layer ¾" MDF in a 3,000 watt box that is sufficiently braced.

Wow.
what’s considered “good MDF”, any High Density MDF?
aside from cuts, do you have to paint or epoxy/etc the MDF for structural strength or use as is?

Last edited:
Wow.
what’s considered “good MDF”, any High Density MDF?
aside from cuts, do you have to paint or epoxy/etc the MDF for structural strength or use as is?
Mdf is just mdf. You don't need to paint it for strength, but make sure it doesn't get wet.

Mdf is just mdf. You don't need to paint it for strength, but make sure it doesn't get wet.

Wrong!

20210217_175917.jpg

I buy my lumber for subwoofer boxes from a local lumber salesman.
Well certainly someone who is impartial as to how much money you spend. Show me some hard data from real-world measurements of what difference we can expect from taking your advice. Once you quantify the performance difference than everybody can judge whether or not the extra money is worth the improvement in real world utility.
Looking at HD, is this a good wood?
I have used that or similar from the big box stores with good results.
So show us some Termlab or RTA measurements illustrating the difference we can expect to see depending on which type of MDF we use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...