Dc Level 3 Ported or 2 Punch hx2’s sealed

• DC lvl 3

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Punch hx2’s

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

619Thump

CarAudio.com Recruit
I currently have 2 old school punch hx2 12’s on a memphis 700w rms amp, the box is sealed and id say around 1.6 cu ft box, so im just debating if i should buy a dc level 3 12 and put it in a ported box 1.5cu with a 1k rms amp or if im just better off with the 2 punch’s.

I am limited to space, dimensions are 28w x 14h x 13 depth, and i know thats pretty small for 2 12’s n i was reading that dc’s recommended 1.25 each

what is your guys is opinion? i just dont wanna waste time and money on buying a sub amp and building the box if it wont be louder than the 2 12’s i currently have

Those Fosgate's get down in the right box.. But in a undersized sealed they won't have full potential.

They call for 1.25 each sealed or 2.0 ported each.. My buddy still runs one in about 2.5 and it sounds pretty nice.

Those Fosgate's get down in the right box.. But in a undersized sealed they won't have full potential.

They call for 1.25 each sealed or 2.0 ported each.. My buddy still runs one in about 2.5 and it sounds pretty nice.
yea exactly 1.25 each sealed and i have 2 in a 1.6 😂😂they sound damn good too for what it is but i know its not their full potential

if i end up putting the single 12 i will make a box for them and put them in the daily driver, i have a 1200w amp sitting around so i can use that for it and sell the memphis im using right now

The HX2 holds its own pretty well in the 1000W sub category. I don't think something like Lv3 would be an upgrade. Just add more power to those if you need more output.

The HX2 holds its own pretty well in the 1000W sub category. I don't think something like Lv3 would be an upgrade. Just add more power to those if you need more output.
but the box pretty small, if i jus add a bigger amp will it be louder than what it is ?

Loaded question. If I had unlimited amplifier power I'd never run a ported setup. For example, I have a single 15 on 1000 watts that I loved sealed, but I wanted more output, so I'm running ported instead. The box would be basically the same size to go 2 of these 15s sealed and get relatively the same spl output with better SQ, but now I would need to spend a bunch of money on upgraded electrical to run 2000 watts to 2 of these subs. In a perfect world with unlimited power I'd never run a ported setup.

I would probably build a ported box for a single hx2 and give it a shot. Or for a quick experiment pull one sub replace it with a aero port

but the box pretty small, if i jus add a bigger amp will it be louder than what it is ?
I haven't done enough testing with HX2 to say for sure. My point was that nothing in a reasonable budget you're going to buy right now is going to be an upgrade from them so IMO you'd do best just experimenting with the box for what you have.

Obviously you have room to get louder throwing more power at them, they should be near indestructible up to 1000W each. What you might miss is low end extension if your box is really too small. More output could be fixed with more power, more low end extension would be fixed by designing a ported alignment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...