1 12 or 2 12 setup please help

nellystyle22
10+ year member

hey guys i have 2 12 RF power hx2 3112. the problem is I only have 1 amp that is a 1100 watt memphis amp. i was going to buy another one and put one amp on each but i dont have the money right now or will for awhile. A) should i hook it up with both subs in a ported box and 500 watts going to each or B)sell one sub and hook up one sub and 1100 watts going to it and put it in a ported box. will there be a difference of one being louder than the other? i have a 99 ford explorer. thanks guys

You will have better luck with twice the cone area using the same power, and in an Explorer, you have the room for two. If you wanted more later, you could always add a second amp and push both full tilt, but you probably won't need it.

well - what amp do you have? Are you wanting to go ported or sealed? SPL or SQ?

Memphis amps usually push hi power at 1 ohm. If this is the case - your two subs will not work. But you will have a 2ohm load mono/bridged. That is good for aother amps. If you go a ported box (around 2.5 per sub) they will play very loud. If you go with a sealed box at about 1 cuft each you will need around 500 watts a peice (or more) to get them loud.

BUT - running two just because 12"+12"=24" is not always the best solution! 1x12" in a large ported box, @ 1ohm with 1100 watts - wheewwww!!!!! That would sound pretty good. And if your amp puts that power at 1 ohm than thats is probably your best bet.

Ed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.