0 gauge ofc vs 4 gauge cca

619Thump

CarAudio.com Recruit
Before i knew about all the electrical and everything that goes into a system, i bought a 4 gauge cca wire kit from my local audio shop, just bought some 0 gauge ofc so already i know its a big upgrade, if i put the 0 gauge with 4 gauge adapters into my amps (they take 4 gauge wire) will i get even better performance than with 4 gauge ofc or will it be the same (if it doesn't make sense ill try to rephrase it)

Before i knew about all the electrical and everything that goes into a system, i bought a 4 gauge cca wire kit from my local audio shop, just bought some 0 gauge ofc so already i know its a big upgrade, if i put the 0 gauge with 4 gauge adapters into my amps (they take 4 gauge wire) will i get even better performance than with 4 gauge ofc or will it be the same (if it doesn't make sense ill try to rephrase it)
Yes, Better. Just make sure your connection is tight.

Ehhh. Won't hurt performance that's for sure. Will you notice a difference? I doubt it but really depends on what amps. If you had one single run of 4 gauge CCA split to two amps and now have 1/0 OFC split to two amps you could see less voltage drop.

Ehhh. Won't hurt performance that's for sure. Will you notice a difference? I doubt it but really depends on what amps. If you had one single run of 4 gauge CCA split to two amps and now have 1/0 OFC split to two amps you could see less voltage drop.
yea i had straight 4 gauge cca power and ground to both amps, now i have 1/0 gauge 100% ofc to both amps so less voltage drop hopefully, i get my 1/0 to 4 gauge reducer/adapter on friday so ill see then

With DC power; more efficient wire is better, but not necessary if your battery is close to the amplifier(s). Nevertheless, you can always do the 'over-kill, and it will not let power sag over the distance. Regardless, of you running 0,1,2,4 gauge, your amplifier will only draw the maximum amp that it is rated for. That is why proper system planning is needed so correct power supply is supplied to your amps, not the other way around. With car audio, thicker wire is definately better, if you have the funds, but if you follow the amps power ratings requirements, then you will not notice much difference. Only other factor is to check your electrical connections all the way to your amps every six months as they can get loose over time (not that I am saying it does) but a good precaution.

With DC power; more efficient wire is better, but not necessary if your battery is close to the amplifier(s). Nevertheless, you can always do the 'over-kill, and it will not let power sag over the distance. Regardless, of you running 0,1,2,4 gauge, your amplifier will only draw the maximum amp that it is rated for. That is why proper system planning is needed so correct power supply is supplied to your amps, not the other way around. With car audio, thicker wire is definately better, if you have the funds, but if you follow the amps power ratings requirements, then you will not notice much difference. Only other factor is to check your electrical connections all the way to your amps every six months as they can get loose over time (not that I am saying it does) but a good precaution.
This is a very realistic response to the question. I like it and others have also gave positive responses

CCA = Copper Clad aluminum
OFC = Oxygen free copper

CCA will incur a resistance increase for the same exact gauge as OFC as there is not enough frequency to use "skin effect" on power transmission lines which is where the copper is available.

If you plan the system right you are able to use the correct sized CCA wiring for power but for longer lines you must up size the gauges at least the next size up from what you are used to for OFC if using CCA.

(On a side note, i rather stay far away from any use of aluminum wire for power use. That stuff was banned for home use a while back for some very good reason).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...