Electrical Upgrades?

beckSHO
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Michigan
Obviously, in the process of installing a new sound system, you should upgrade the electrical system when necessary. So, I plan on adding a two channel amp to power my frontstage, and another amp to power my sub. I might possibly go with one 4-channel to power everything, however, that is unlikely. Now, will my electrical system be fine if I do the "Big 3" using 0 awg wire? Will I need to do anything else? Let me know if there is any tricks that will help me out. Thanks guys.

You haven't mentioned what you're going to be installing. We won't be able to help you out without knowing that. What kind of amp or how much power you are going to push would be nice.

Obviously, in the process of installing a new sound system, you should upgrade the electrical system when necessary. So, I plan on adding a two channel amp to power my frontstage, and another amp to power my sub. I might possibly go with one 4-channel to power everything, however, that is unlikely. Now, will my electrical system be fine if I do the "Big 3" using 0 awg wire? Will I need to do anything else? Let me know if there is any tricks that will help me out. Thanks guys.
umm, youve told us nothing. What amp do you plan on running?

umm, youve told us nothing. What amp do you plan on running?
Sorry, AP Calc homework + CarAudio.com = no focus.

I will be running a 2-channel amp to my frontstage. Probably 100-150wrms x 2, going to Rainbow SLC's. For the subwoofer amp, I will either be going with a monoblock, or a 2-channel. If I went with the monoblock, I'd be doing probable a good 600wrms @ 2-4 ohms to one sub. For the 2-channel, maybe 300-350wrms going to two subs. Hopefully that's enough information for you guys.

That should be fine. Do the the Big 3. If it still dims, run larger wires to your amp.
What size wire would you recommend I run to my amps? Should I put a fused distrobution block near the battery, then have two runs of wire to the trunk? Or one run of wire to the trunk, where it will be separated at the fused distro. block?

One long big gauge wire to the trunk. Distro block, then 2 smaller wires to your component and sub amp. your probably going to run 8 gauge to the component and the sub amp will tell you what gauge it accepts. as for the big piece of wire. the biggest one you want to use.

One long big gauge wire to the trunk. Distro block, then 2 smaller wires to your component and sub amp. your probably going to run 8 gauge to the component and the sub amp will tell you what gauge it accepts. as for the big piece of wire. the biggest one you want to use.
Alright, thanks for the help. Another question though, is it possible to go TOO big with the power cable?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.