Volvo S60 Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

americannight
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm taking my time on this build so it may be a few days between updates. Here's where it's at so far with this build in my Volvo S60. I'm aiming for a good compromise between SQ and boom. It has been a few years since I've done a build so feel free to make suggestions if you see anything I could do to improve.

First, here is the gear and a basic wiring diagram of what I'll be assembling:

system.jpg

Here are some shots of the amp rack enclosures being built. These will get fiberglassed into the trunk side walls.

First I drew up some plans:

TheDeuce_AmpRack_All.jpg

This weekend I finished construction on the amp enclosures. Here are a few shots of the first to roll off the line.

P1120094.jpg

P1120095.jpg

P1120098.jpg

Next step of the build will be to glass these into the trunk side walls. Will post more pics once I start on that. My overall plan is to do the job on the trunk side walls and then from there I will envision the shape for the sub enclosure and start work on that. The subwoofer enclosure will be removable but with a built in look.

That's all for now. Much more to come.

Thanks man, the deck is installed right now running those Pioneer components. I really like the sound the speakers have. The S60 stock locations in the front are actually pretty darn good so I plan to use them. I will post some pics of the front end. Basically the stock locations have an extra small grill right next to the mid so I used that for the tweeter (rather than the stock 'tweeter' location high up in the door. So with that I am able to get the tweeters closer to on-axis and then with the DSP settings on the Kenwood deck, I'm able to dial up a darn good sounding stage. The Center channel will be a welcome addition when I get that hooked up. The S60 has a stock location for the center. If anyone has a D series Pioneer coaxial they want to part with, let me know. I will only need one and would settle for either the 5.25" or 6.5" model since it will be crossed over super high and with the gain turned very low on the amp, just to add a tiny bit of center effect. Maybe someone has blown one so has one single speaker laying around? I know, long shot but thought I would toss that out there...

They are flushed in with the heat sink exposed so they can cool using the heat sinks. The heat sink size is enormous (17" x 11") on the Deuce amps so should not run into cooling issues with the heat sink exposed like that. If for some reason they do have an issue, I've got room on the back of the amp rack where I could install a couple of fans in a push/pull setup for additional ventilation.

Hmmm...point well taken, though. Perhaps I should drill some holes in the top of the amp enclosure. They would be hidden anyway and could only help ventilate the heat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.