Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: changing amps=change wires????

4jb
    4jb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

changing amps=change wires????

i have an mtx thunder 1000D running my two strokers. I want to buy two JBL BP1200.1 1200-Watt Subwoofer Amplifiers. I have a 95 nissan maxima that has had the MTX hooked up to it. If i install two amps what kind of problems will this present to me? alternators? battery power? etc???

Roberto is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the most important thing is your alernator and after that you can add anything you want #4g wire distribution blocks, capacitors, Etc........

liwaj79 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing that, that is a smaller car it prob. has a small battery and a small alternater need to replace all that and run nothing less than 4 guage to the power block!

flat broke

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by liwaj79
    Seeing that, that is a smaller car it prob. has a small battery and a small alternater need to replace all that and run nothing less than 4 guage to the power block!
    pulling 228A through a 4 gauge isn't a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Roberto
    the most important thing is your alernator and after that you can add anything you want #4g wire distribution blocks, capacitors, Etc........
    this is bad idea too. You need to check the total current draw THEN figure the wire sizes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know cars are made for granny? they are design to go from point A to poit B, they are not design for John doe to put a munster car audio if you think this is a bad idea you should spend 18 years working with cars and 10 being a electronics technician. why figure wire size? the best wire you can use is up to now is the number 4 gauge do you know anything about cars? why figure current draw unless you havent work with car stereo before? dont make me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know cars are made for granny? they are design to go from point A to poit B, they are not design for John doe to put a munster car audio if you think this is a bad idea you should spend 18 years working with cars and 10 being a electronics technician. why figure wire size? the best wire you can use is up to now is the number 4 gauge do you know anything about cars? why figure current draw unless you havent work with car stereo before? dont make me
    if you don't look at wire gauge compared to current draw that = fires and voltage losses. for you to be in the field so long and not know that is odd. what do you mean best wire up till now?? you use what ever size the current dictates. You should also know that standard practice is to limit losses to less than 2%. please go ahead and school me -- as your not making any sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    are you paying atention? he is going to use amps not a washer and drier and a home theater if he is then he needs to use a #0 gauge. Im not arguing with you but you are the one not making any sense. cuz also depends on distace, he has a small car not a yaht.
    Last edited by Roberto; 07-21-2002 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK if i'm so wrong --- through a 4 gauge tell me how much voltage drop 228A causes ---- if not an instant fire Hell rate that drop in % loss please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    are you paying atention? he is going to use amps not a washer and drier and a home theater if he is then he needs to use a #0 gauge. Im not arguing with you but you are the one not making any sense. cuz also depends on distace, he has a small car not a yaht.
    you would need much more than a 0 gauge at 12v to power just 1 washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    don't know about you guys but I see 1.15v drop which is a 9% loss and wire temps way over 200 degrees but hey where not runing washers right

4jb
    4jb is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    settle down guys. Where could i find some 0 guage wire. I have not seen this around anywhere. Or could i run seperate 4 guage wires from each of the amps to the the car battery? Would that work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you need 3 --2 gauge wires OR 2 ---- 0 gauge for 228A Look around the net or E-bay. Most 2 gauge can be found in a car audio store but they charge WAY TOO MUCH.

mr4pto is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I cant imagine you would need 2 1/0 gauge wires to run 2 jbl 1200s. That seems a little excessive for 200 amps. Isn't 4 gauge rated up to 180 amps of capable draw. I 2 gauge would probly be fine since thats such a small car, but if you wanted to spend the extra money you could go ahead and put in 1/0 and be sure your not losing any voltage.

Headunit: Eclipse CD8443
    Front Stage: Boston Acoustics Z6
    Rear Stage: Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5
    Subwoofer: Dual JL 10W7 Sealed Enclosure
    Mid/High Amplifier: JL Audio 450/4
    Subwoofer Amplifier: JL Audio 1000/1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mr4pto
    I cant imagine you would need 2 1/0 gauge wires to run 2 jbl 1200s. That seems a little excessive for 200 amps. Isn't 4 gauge rated up to 180 amps of capable draw. I 2 gauge would probly be fine since thats such a small car, but if you wanted to spend the extra money you could go ahead and put in 1/0 and be sure your not losing any voltage.
    the 4 gauge is 125A @167 degrees, 140A @ 195 degrees the shielding must withstand that temp. 2 gauge is 170A @ 167 degrees, 190A @ 195 degrees. But we are talking about 228A Which 1/0 gauge will pass but at a loss of .45v which is 3.8%

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast