Closed Thread

Reload Thread: adding 2nd battery to car?

Mzknb is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

adding 2nd battery to car?

i've decided to add a 2nd battery to my car before hooking up the amp & subs. the amp is a Power Acoustik Plasma TS1440-2 & my subs are 2 12" Autotek 1244-MX, since i dont want to drain out my battery from my system. my current first battery is a 500CA that powers up my mazda 626, 2.2 4cyl. i have an idea what to do but i realised i should ask the experts at CarAudio.com before damaging anything.

jujumantb is offline Duke of Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: adding 2nd battery to car?

I'll assume you are mounting it in your trunk..
    Run a suitable wire (4guage, 0/1 guage) wire from the + post of you main battery through the car to the + of the second battery in the trunk (make sure you put an inline fuse on this wire). Run the same guage wire from the - terminal on the second battery to the car's chassis (ground). THis will effectively wire the two batteries in parallel. Because the batteries would be the same model and age, you arent going to want to have them connected together at all times, this risks the two batteries draining eachother. To combat this, purchase a 150-200amp relay (stinger makes them), and put it inline on the power wire. Wire it to the remote turn on wire of you deck so that the two batteries will only be connected when you turn your deck on. (You could also use any wire that gives a 12v constant when the car is turned on, the REM wire is just the easiest usually)
    Now just hook your amps directly the second battery in the trunk and youre set.

^^This is how I did mine, there are different ways to do it though, this is just the most basic and inexpensive way. The other would be to purchase a battery isolator which is a big metal block looking thing with 3 terminals. One to hook up the + on your alternator to, one for the + of your main battery, and the third for the + of your second battery. The device will route the current your alternator produces to the two batteries, but isolating them from eachother at all times.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks very much, now i dont know where to get a 150-200 amp relay switch, all i saw so far is 30 amp from cardomin.com

cjjackson85 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stinger makes a 200 amp battery isolator, SR200. I've seen a couple on eBay, but anywhere that carries Stinger should have them. http://search.ebay.com/Stinger-SR200_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, i went to a local auto parts earlier today to ask for a relay, the guy recomended for me to buy a 1 Farad Capacitor instead of buying a battery & accessorities for it, he said it would save me some cash(since im only in high school still & dont have a high budget). i read earlier on this Message Forums that Capacitor aren't really recomended & their only a band-aid fix to a problem?

btnhfan is offline Hail to the King Baby!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do not get the cap
    End of story.

I would try a larger battery and bigger grounds before you do anything else. Go with 1 larger battery. I suggest Kinetik

www.kinetikpower.com

Best receiver ever?
    I think so

Decipha is offline www.EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you would probably be best off going with a new battery, it's alot cheaper than a cap or a second battery and isolator or a second battery and relay.

EDIT: NOT CHEAPER JUST MORE PRACTICAL

BTW, i listen to my radio alot with my car off, i would recommend connecting the remote on that relay to an ignition wire or a wire that only recieves power when the car is running to lessen the risk of draining both batteries in the unlikely chance that you leave your radio boomin all night.

**** HAPPENS

^^ im not recommending you get a second battery unless it's needed

ntense702 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a second battery is probably unneccessary for you, with the setup you got you should be fine as is, a second battery is only necessary if you step up to some high power stuff and run two or more amps

AVH-P4900, Overdrive, Epic 160, PPI 1000/2, Pro 60s, a3000db, SSA Icon 12, Fisher Custom.

Closed Thread