Reload Thread: wire gauge

nismboy6986 is offline the **** technician

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wire gauge

would 4gauge wiring from the battery to the distribution (well in my case cap 5) be thick enough to power a bd1000.1, a power 250.2, eq and crossover and a couple of neons?
    the thickest power wire the cap 5 will accept is 4 which is wierd since its a 5 farad cap. it seems to me if i use terminal connects i should be able to use 0 gauge but i don't have the cap 5 yet so i can't tell. another question do you guys think its overkill to go over a enclosure with silicone caulking, put 3 to 4 layers of spray on truck bed lining then another 3 to 4 layers of bondo to reinforce and make sure its perfectly sealed. i'm also going to put a partition between the two subs to prevent cancellation and use up the extra .2 cubes in my box. Do you guys think its a good idea to build a regular box shaped enclosure and then at a later date cut a window in and put a bolt a piece of plexiglass to it. To get in more details, i mean cut a 10 x 30 inch window in the box and put a piece of plexiglass the size of that particular side of the box and bolt it to the box. then go over where the edge of the hole in the box and the plexiglass with silicone to make sure its air tight. then wrap it in vinyl to hide the excess plexiglass. to me this would be better than cutting a hole in the box then putting a piece of plexiglass in that hole cause you don't have to go through all the troubles of cutting it the shape of the window and call me old fashioned but i trust bolts more than adhesives

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To know if a wire is the right gauge you have to know the length and TOTAL amp draw.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what would be the maximum amount of current that can flow through 4 gauge. the main line to the distribution would be about 16 feet. to figure out the maximum amount of current i would add up the size of the amplifiers fuses right? so i would say total draw would be around 140 with those amps 4 neon tubes a audiocontrol 6XS and EQT.
    **** i'll need a new alternator too if i ever want to hear my system full blast since this load is 40 amps more than what the cap 5 can put out continously. well with a bd1000 and 2 alum 12x's i doubt if i can take my system full blast for extended periods anyway

chris229 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for a loss of 2% or less 1/0 gauge is pefect

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess i'll have to hook the 0 gauge to a 0 gauge input dual 4 gauge output distribution block to get it to the cap 5. then i could use the other 4 gauge output to a smaller distribution block powering my neons and eq. another question where would i get a 2amp fuse? the audiocontrol eqs says it need a 2 amp fuse

Closed Thread