Reload Thread: Ramos please help!!! I want a SQ system

WALLIS is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ramos please help!!! I want a SQ system

I want to buy :
    2x 12" Nakamichi sp-w120's,
    2x MB quartz dsd216 6.5's components (front and rear)
    1x Lightning Audio s2.200 (subs)
    1x pyle 1400 plus amp (splits)
    Wiring - Lanzar 4 guage power and RCA set

I want to hook this up to a Panasonic Head unit.

Will these do the job?? I am a bit weary about that LA amp.

Please help...This is urgent

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to compete under the usac sound quality division pro class 101-250. since then the classes have changed and I don't work for the store I did any longer. I do still have the same equipment (listed under my signature), and do still intend on gettig everything ready for competition this summer. So there you have my credentials. Your system sounds like you are headed in the right direction, however I don't recommend the pyle amp, not a sound quality giant. x-tant, soundstream, mcintosh, phoenix gold, some jl audio , ......those would be good amp choices along with a few others. you also want to find a high current amp, that is underrated putting you in a lower watt class, giving you an edge. if you keep your system simple as I did, I would suggest some sort of center stage processor likethe audio control esp 2. I really helped me out alot. It greatly sharpens the staging giving it the seamless edge judges look for. It also lifts the sound stage if you speakers are in your doors. Good luck, and maybe I will see ya "in the ring" this year

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

soon to come: Eclipse mids and highs upgrade<br />e-comm module<br />nav system

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Down here in South Africa, a selected few dealers carry these items. It is futile trying to import them on your own as you have no guarantee that they are good, ie the staging item you just said. If you specially request them from here via a dealer they charge you an arm and a leg. Is there anything else you can suggest. I will be installing in this coming week.
    Can I contact you for more installation advice??

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I reallydon't know what to tell you on that one. What does shipping usually run to you from the states? I think you should have no problem making a good system and there are other staging units out there all I could say is do some research in the future. As far as future help I would be glad to. My personal e-mail is gregj9@hotmail.com

96 honda passport

eclipse head (55040)<br />jl audio 500/5<br />Infinity kappa separates up front<br />4 eclipse 10"<br />audio control esp2 center stage processor

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm not much into the SQ competition scene. To **** expensive . But like was previuoly said I would worry about the Pyle amp. They are severly lacking in the quality dept. Th other components sound like you are on your way to a great system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    haha I find that statement kinda funny ramos. "too **** expensive" SQ is far cheaper IMO than SPL, you can get yourself a nice sounding sq system for less than 4000 with lots of goodies. SPL if you want to be competitive you need MASSIVE power and Subs that can take the power(often these subs are extremely high priced) Not to mention the massive box you need for these beasts! Sure there are some sq subs like the focal utopia that are outrageously priced, but I say SPL wins in the $$$ factor of things. Oh and yes, I say the weak point in the system would be the pyle amp, they are basically known for being entry level equipment along with the likings of pyramid, boss, jensen, stuff like that.

IASCA certified judge
    competitor novice 1-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I mean no offense to you or IASCA. IASCA is a great organization, and one of the oldest I know of. I just think SQ should be judged on just that SQ. I have been to several IASCA competitions. And have noticed that the judges can be "wowed" by flash. All of this flash cost $$$. I think SQ judges should be blindfolded Where as in a SPL car. It's all about being loud no matter how flashy or not. Go loud or go home. As in all competitions there are several classes in spl comps. Yes the extreme classes can run big time $$$. but there are other levels that are much less costly.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input guys.....but please give me an alternative. I have'nt bought the amp as yet. Musical Cars here has a Cadence amplifier for me. I don't even know what the **** that is but they say it is great for this type of application. Is it??? Also, would you guys rather install the MB Quart's or Infinity Kappa/ or Kappa Perfect. To me by ear I haven't heard the Perfects but compared to the MB's the Infinity Reference sounds crap. But you guys have been raving about these perfects somewhat on other pages.

Gregj9 By the way dealers make about 20-50% markup on products from USA here. The shipping is a bit, but not hectic. Most of the names you guys mentioned I have'nt heard of. Big brands are the normal, JL,RF,MB,Boston,MTX etc. Audiobahn,Crossfire, etc are far and few

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Buy what you think sounds best, you like the mb's over the infinities, buy them

IASCA certified judge
    competitor novice 1-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On another side note, about wow factory, one of the beauties of the street class is that 0 points are awarded for "wow factor" the street class is to get competitors into the sport and to enjoy and appeal those with not quite so much money to develop systems with wild fiberglass work etc. It's all about safety and mounting things properly

IASCA certified judge
    competitor novice 1-600

gregj9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wallis

You mentioned the reference series Infinity, they aren't bad and I can't believe they sounded like total crap, but they are Infinity's "pricepoint" speakers. As far as Quart and the perfects go I have believed they are for the most part neck and neck. I have had judges tell friends who had quart that their highs were too "bright", which is true from my experience. There are ajustments on the x-over for that though, but I do like the smoothness of Infinity's higher end highs, for competition purposes

As far as Cadence goes i don't know a whole lot about them, I have seen a few in competition before, but I can not give a personal opinion on them.........

96 honda passport

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Originally posted by BlackSunfireGT
    On another side note, about wow factory, one of the beauties of the street class is that 0 points are awarded for "wow factor" the street class is to get competitors into the sport and to enjoy and appeal those with not quite so much money to develop systems with wild fiberglass work etc. It's all about safety and mounting things properly
    This is the same in NSPL there are some big time $$$ systems in the extreme classes. But there are also the budget minded street classes. There is nothing wrong with proper mounting and safety. But I dont need to rebuild my dash to be safe

ppi
    ppi is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****!!!!!

you guys really need to get out a little more. go to speedsound.com check out them precision power amps, the only thing i'd ever buy!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all your help guys. This system will look like this:2x 12" Nakamichi sp-w120's,
    2x Infinity 6.5's components (front and rear)
    1x Lightning Audio s2.200 (subs)
    1x 4 channel PPI
    Wiring - Lanzar 4 guage power and RCA set

the only thing you guys have'nt changed was the Nakamichi's.

Great to have professional help for a change. The pro's around here say things like Calibra is good or you don't get better than Boston only because the price tag is close to the price of a Ferrari they want.

Great to have my own panel of judges on the "worlds sound centre stage".

LATER...

andy240sx is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well man, the only thing i could tell you would be to ditch the lightning audio and pyle. if you want a really good sub for SQ try an Infinity Perfect, or an Alpine R, or the new Pioneer Premier. As for a good SQ amp, id go with xtant, phoenix gold, or planet audio (Planet audio is a small audio company but they're amps are excellent)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast