Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 first install Help!

I'm just getting off to my adventure in car audio. I have a 97 Civic Ex, with only engine mods so far and want to get started on some good sound. I recently purchased a sony deck I like (45x4) as well as a CD changer. I have had other cd changers in the trunk that were OEM, and the new sony will now connect easily with the unilink cable. I plan to mount it under the seat. I will run the rear deck 6x9's off the HU. The box I bought is a dual 10'' bandpass by kenwood with 300 watt subs, they are 4 ohm. the amp is a match and came as a package. It is a 2 channel bridgable, 600watt, amp by kenwood. It has a low pass filter, and has been used with this box already. What I dont know is how to install all of this. I obviously need an amp kit, and also need to pull out the carpets and seats, and run the wires through to the battery and connect the ground. It seems too easy, will i have to bridge the amp? 300 watts per channel, i shouldn't have to. What does the amp kit come with? which gauge amp kit should i buy. then whats going on under the hood, what needs to be done with the battery? Where is the best place to run the ground to? The frame is supposed to be a better place. I'm nervous, but have been surfing for good threads all day, and I'm really just a begginer with all this. I like to take things on myself, rather than paying someone else, so I need to learn eventually. Anybody have any experience with this honda model. Would it be better to do it all at once, HU, changer, amp, and box, or do what I know I can do. It really a basic system, but I can't find any step by step info. I hope someones kind enough to help me to a successful first install. Pic of my car attached (not that it really matters) Thanks, Jason

PioneerGlnn is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

here is some help

If I was you I would first start with the head unit. Wal-mart, autozone,and online car stereo.com has installation kits for head units and wire harneses that make it real easy to make it a factory look. Also get the amp installtion kit. Get at least an 8guage kit, they come with a fused power wire, ground wire, remote wire, some come with RCA patch cords, and all the terminal connection. Reason why because while you install the head unit, you can wire the remote and the patch cords to the head before you bolt it down. You can run the power wire through the fire wall and make sure you garment the hole so it doesn't cut the wire. The ground can be made in the trunk because the ground wire is going to be short. As for the amp wiring it is easy to. I would keep it in stereo and push you subs with the 300wattsPeak/150watts Rms, because the subs can only handle 300watts you dont want to blow them out.If you ever decide to run another amp make sure you use the same ground. This should help you in your quest for great sound.
    Last edited by PioneerGlnn; 06-21-2002 at 11:04 PM.

JaY1_322 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

amp trouble now

I hooked it all up, the audio outs on my HU go to the amp, the subs should work of there, I cant say for certain that the amp is getting any power though it should be, the remote wire is hooked to the amp and HU, grounds look good. But nothing happens. Only thing I hear is 6x9'd buzzing, and those arent even hooked to the amp i'm confused, any suggestions, jason

redciv is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the amp to make sure that the gain control is not set to minimum. Since your amp and subs are an "exact fit" power wise. I would start off with setting the gain knob to maybe 1/4 up. If the gain is set too low you want hear anything out of the subs. Double check your speaker wire going to the subs. Oh yeah and you will probally hear this one alot on the forum. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND. If you ground is not correct the AMP WILL NOT POWER UP. I have a 95Civ and I attached my amp to the back seat and ran the ground wire to the top of the spare tire section hehind the seat. I first had to scrap off the paint where you will mount the ground bolt. You must scrap off the paint for a ground or it will not do it's job. Do you get any sound out of the speakers in the doors and deck or just buzzing from the 6X9?

It's da red1!!!!
    Kenwood 115 H/U
    Kenwood 4042a eq
    USAcoustics 4085
    6.5 Blaupunkt Separates(kick panels)
    2 MTX 12's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks..

The buzzing is from the 6x9 only, the amp wont power up. I have to check the remote wire, my ground is also questionable. I didnt scape paint, just bolted it down. Thanks for your help

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

scraped paint

The paint was scaped from the area where the ground is. I'm also running a kenwood amp. The ground is located presently on the underside of the rear deck lid, it is in a secured place on the frame. My problem is definatley with the grounds or remote wire, amp just wont go. Its set at 1/2 power. Thanks

redciv is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK let's start with the H/U. Did you use a wiring harness with the H/U. I have two Civs both of them 95 one DX and LX. Is the H/U powering up any, and if so do you get sound out of any of the speakers. I know the accessory wire for my car for some reason was not getting any power to the battery, so I had to find another accessory wire. Check to make sure no fuses have been blown on the Amp or under the hood.

It's da red1!!!!
    Kenwood 115 H/U
    Kenwood 4042a eq
    USAcoustics 4085
    2 MTX 12's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 Yes!

Yes, that's it. My amp wont power up, I need to find another place for the accessory for the remote wire to connect to. I did use a wiring harness. Where did you run the remote to in ur car. Today I've got to go and get a voltage meter to test the power and remote wires. If I see the power wire has power but the remote doesnt I need another connection, but I dont know where or how to connect it. When I find a spot, I'll run a jumper. Could I test the remote wire for the amo by connecting directly to the battery terminal? Thanks for ur help, these crazy jap cars, love em and hate em, Jason

redciv is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK Jay. Now on the your H/U there should have been a remote antennae wire, blue if I am not mistaken. Now since you would have used the Civic's black, L-shape antennae wire to plug into the back of your H/U. Now the remote power antennae wire, blue should connect up to the blue remote wire that is running back to the amp. That is the way I have mines set-up. Actually because of the EQ I have 3 blue remote wires in the dash. I have the H/U, EQ and the Amp's remote turn-on all wired up together. There should only be One blue remote wire turn on for the amp. The wire from the H/U may say Power Antennae because for cars like my older AUDI that had a electric anntennae the wire was use to raise and lower the power antennae. Civs don't have a power antennae so the blue wire is used to communicate to the H/U that it needs to turn on the Amp, EQ. Crossover etc. You test the remote wire by putting the + lead on the remote wire and the - lead on the ground to your amp.
    Last edited by redciv; 07-07-2002 at 01:43 PM.

It's da red1!!!!
    Kenwood 115 H/U
    Kenwood 4042a eq
    USAcoustics 4085
    2 MTX 12's

redciv is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One more thing. The Accessory wire and the Remote wire have to different purposes all together. The Accessory wire that is coming out of the H/U is used to keep a constant 12v power supply to your memory back-up(clock, and preset radio stations) Without the Accessory Wire you would have to set your clock everytime you started your engine. The Remote Wire on the otherhand is used exclusively to power up Antennaes, AMPS, EQ's and any other product that needs to be told when to power up.

It's da red1!!!!
    Kenwood 115 H/U
    Kenwood 4042a eq
    USAcoustics 4085
    2 MTX 12's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks!

Anyway, the install is complete, I finally got everything working by testing the remote wires with a jumper to the battery, thanks Chris229, anyway, I had to use the 12 volt acessory because niether the remote or ant wires worked, i even bought a tester (chris229!). So, it is ok for now, the amp only powers up when I turn on the car. My plan is to control this set up with an eq that has a sub control and power turn on, I'm going to install a simple switch on the line for the time bring this week. I appreciate all ur help, by the way, my civic is red too! Peace, Jason

Closed Thread

User Tag List