Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How to run wire?

eric77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How to run wire?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have been searching all over and havent been able to find anything useful on actually running wire. I have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee and I am getting a knukonceptz 4awg amp kit. I just have an amp and subs to hook up, but I have a pioneer head unit already installed. If you could tell me where to find any good tutorials or feel like taking the time to tell me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

liar2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How to run wire?

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...ers_movie.html

That video helped me out a lot. It really helps.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eric77
    Sorry for such a basic question, but I have been searching all over and havent been able to find anything useful on actually running wire. I have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee and I am getting a knukonceptz 4awg amp kit. I just have an amp and subs to hook up, but I have a pioneer head unit already installed. If you could tell me where to find any good tutorials or feel like taking the time to tell me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

what are you trying to ask here? where to run the wire in the car? i have a 95 grand cherokee and i ran the power wire on the passengers side. the battery is on that side and also by the trans hump thing in the firewall is a pass through to run the power wire. make sure you don't run your rca's on the same side of the power wire. make sure your ground is relatively short, you make solid contact with bare metal, no paint and sanded real good.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iceteebone
    what are you trying to ask here? where to run the wire in the car? i have a 95 grand cherokee and i ran the power wire on the passengers side. the battery is on that side and also by the trans hump thing in the firewall is a pass through to run the power wire. make sure you don't run your rca's on the same side of the power wire. make sure your ground is relatively short, you make solid contact with bare metal, no paint and sanded real good.
    Actually, Im asking how to run it. I have no idea and dont want to screw anything up. I would hate to screw up my entire system because of some bad wiring.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eric77
    Actually, Im asking how to run it. I have no idea and dont want to screw anything up. I would hate to screw up my entire system because of some bad wiring.

you just shove the wire under carpeting or up under moldings or something.

Slody4Futbol is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah take ur door sills off... pop off any trim... kick panels... etc... run power wire through firewall through a grommet... if not a factory grommet drill a hole and put a plastic grommet in place... run rca's and remote from deck down behind dash and under carpet... run all wires under carpet back to your amp location

Been out of this for a longgg time...

MustangGT25YRS is offline Raymond V Vasta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 Re: How to run wire?

Hi;
    Just to be on the "Safe Side",that if you've never done this to ask a friend or installer/friend to assist you with the routing and/or drilling(if you can't find a firewall plug).....Seriously !.If you can find one,that's a good thing:O).
    Even if there is something else running through that Plug or Grommet (As long it's not a moving part) that's ok.If you can feed the cable with some help and maybe some Spray Silicone(if you need)without "X~ing" the grommet.... .If you have to "X"....make it small,or make a small slit.Once you make sure you have enough cable to your amp(s),you can put the "Correct Size" wire loom (If you want),on the cable...Slit Down toward the ground,so moisture,water,etc. can run out the bottom.
    If you "Have" to drill a hole>>>>>grab an "Experienced" friend,Mechanic,Father,Installer/friend to help you!!!!!!!!This is not for the Inexperienced...Believe Me Just drill the hole large enough to for the grommet(either Plastic or Rubber) either get the cable through or w/ the loom already on the cable(If you Choose)and get a Plastic or Nylon "Snap Grommet"(Car Audio shops should have them)and insert it where you drilled the hole.Almost forgot....bring the cable with you to your car audio shop,hrdwre. store,etc and *Get the Grommet First*and a tube of Adhesive Silicone(I like GE myself) GE~Silicone,and the "Plastic" snap grommets(I like them Best).After you have enough cable to your amp(s),Then Silicone where the cable goes through the firewall,just so water will not get in.Make sure you fuse 18" from the battery and that the Fuse Holder and Cable is "Secured".Then,again if you want, you can loom the rest of the cable.Remember!!!!with this and future installs,to keep the loom slit on "The Bottom" .Sorry for the L~O~N~G Post.Good Luck,Take your Time and do it Right the First Time.Good Work Takes Time.....It won't leave any Doubts.
    <**Ray**>
    Last edited by MustangGT25YRS; 12-11-2004 at 10:22 PM.

*[Tinkker]*

*To U.S.A.~Armed Forces*May God be With You 24/7*
    *\^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\****/^^^^^^^^^^^^*
    *It's Nice to Be Important...But It's More Important to Be Nice* Quote from Friend & Ex~Boss:Mr. Joseph Minieri/R.I.P.
    *\References/*
    Bought From:BLACKonBLACK98/rtillerie/SQHertz [3/Items]/AllGood_73/dropkick13:[Good/Honest Sellers]/
    Sold To:BLACKonBLACK98/ddbump/k_schutte/Profound Will[Excellent Buyers & Fast Payment]/

swank is offline Need Electronics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ALWAYS run all my wire through an opening in the firewall such as the steering boot or other plugged holes. If you cant find anything carefully drill a hole to run it through and make sure to buy a rubber garmet to cover the outside metal so it doesnt cut your wire. As for running the rest of the wire I always take out my seats and run everything under the carpet nice clean and secure. When grounding make sure to ground to the chassy and sand the paint off real good. Use gold plated terminals for the best performance and shielded wires. Make sure you run you RCA's on the opposite side of the car where you run your power and remote wire. Running the two together can cause some nasty feedback.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swank
    I ALWAYS run all my wire through an opening in the firewall such as the steering boot or other plugged holes. If you cant find anything carefully drill a hole to run it through and make sure to buy a rubber garmet to cover the outside metal so it doesnt cut your wire. As for running the rest of the wire I always take out my seats and run everything under the carpet nice clean and secure. When grounding make sure to ground to the chassy and sand the paint off real good. Use gold plated terminals for the best performance and shielded wires. Make sure you run you RCA's on the opposite side of the car where you run your power and remote wire. Running the two together can cause some nasty feedback.
    You dont think I should run the rca's and the remote wire together? I was thinking of running just these two together since it would be much easier.

johnecon2001 is offline SSA/ROE Super-Møderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swank
    Thats a proven myth. Not true at all. Run them wherever you want.

Don't PM me, I'm not here. Find me on SSA or ROE
    No, I won't re-upload the Big3 pictures. Don't ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its far from a myth. I learned my lession first hand when running 0 gauge along with both a set of cheap twisted pair RCA's and a shielded expensive pair. When seperating you can tell a big difference. (This is regarding running the power wire along side the remote wires.) You wont really notice anything running the remote along side it.

Clarion Pro Audio Head Unit
    2 Memphis Studio 12in Dual 4 DVC
    Ported Undivided Premade Box
    Kenwood KAC-X301T Xcelon Amplifier
    Hi Wave 1 Farad Digital Cap
    4 Gauge Power Wire, Custom Amp Rack

johnecon2001 is offline SSA/ROE Super-Møderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good 75% percent of the people on here run the power and RCA's together. It makes no difference at all whether the lines are close to the power or not. The only reason noise (buzz) would get into the system through the RCA's is if the ground on any of your components is bad or loose, and if you somehow shorted the RCA's somewhere.

Don't PM me, I'm not here. Find me on SSA or ROE
    No, I won't re-upload the Big3 pictures. Don't ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well its been reported and stated by others many places and its how i was taught when i started doing my own installs. IMHO always better to be safe, doesnt hurt anything. My 2 cents

Clarion Pro Audio Head Unit
    2 Memphis Studio 12in Dual 4 DVC
    Ported Undivided Premade Box
    Kenwood KAC-X301T Xcelon Amplifier
    Hi Wave 1 Farad Digital Cap
    4 Gauge Power Wire, Custom Amp Rack

Closed Thread