Closed Thread

Reload Thread: First Sub/Amp Installed & Battery Died... HELP!

thugpassion is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First Sub/Amp Installed & Battery Died... HELP!

I just got all my parts to install my new system; 12" L7, Power Acoustiks pa2-1600w (each VC on its own channel), pioneer 4600 HU, pioneer speakers all around. I installed my HU and speakers 2 days ago and everythign was running fine. I installed my amp and sub last night, wired everything up, installed fuse last, turned key to Acc. radio was good but i looked at my amp and the green power light wasn't on (not red either just not on). I turned the key to start the car and NOTHING. The battery like instantaneously died. This is my first amp/sub install, installed numerous pairs of speakers and HU's though.

I read over all my info and checked the wiring and everything seemed to be right; fused 4awg power cable to (+) terminal, fuse 16" from battery, ground on clean metal in trunk, less than 3 ft form amp. I'm stumped and a little worried!???????????

Disconnected power wire from amp and used a jump starter to start my car (BTW 97 Nissan Altima)

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: First Sub/Amp Installed & Battery Died... HELP!

what about the remote wire? do you have it wired correctly to the remote-turn on from the head unit?

Friend of mine killed his car that way...wiring directly to the battery. Oops.

Nikuk is offline Been Gone Too Long

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

check the connection at the battery.

Once had a problem with an extended GM battery terminal... wasnt threaded well so one day the car just wouldnt start. Ended up being that connection loose (wiggle left and the underhood light would come on, right yeilded darkness). Fixed it with a bunch of washers.

What the f00k happened to this place?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    what about the remote wire? do you have it wired correctly to the remote-turn on from the head unit?
    That was what i was thinking but havnt checked it yet. When i firsat installed my HU i had the remote-turnon wire and power antenna wires crossed and my antenna didnt work until i switched them. I was wondering if maybe i had to connect the 3 wires together (remote turn on to amp, remote turn on from HU, and power antenna)? I dont get why the wire labled "power amp" on my harness wouldn't turn on my amp or raise my antenna.

I'm going to my best friend's uncle's shop (Custom Autosport in Atco, NJ) tomorrow after school so he'll help me figure it out since im kind of scared to mess up my car or new system both which i just dropped a lot of cash (for a 17yr old) for!

Nikuk is offline Been Gone Too Long

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thugpassion
    That was what i was thinking but havnt checked it yet. When i firsat installed my HU i had the remote-turnon wire and power antenna wires crossed and my antenna didnt work until i switched them. I was wondering if maybe i had to connect the 3 wires together (remote turn on to amp, remote turn on from HU, and power antenna)? I dont get why the wire labled "power amp" on my harness wouldn't turn on my amp or raise my antenna.

I'm going to my best friend's uncle's shop (Custom Autosport in Atco, NJ) tomorrow after school so he'll help me figure it out since im kind of scared to mess up my car or new system both which i just dropped a lot of cash (for a 17yr old) for!
    the power amp wire on the harness from the radio should go to the remote wire.

if the radio doesnt have a mrked power amp / remote wire, then use the power antenna wire (usually blue wire).

Yes, you can wire all three together. But dont run any extra stuff off the remote (neons, fans, lawnmowers, etc...)

What the f00k happened to this place?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NJccBflo, yeah thats what I did wrong i hooked up the remote wire to the 'power amp wire from the car like a *******. My friend's uncle hooked me up and got everything sounding sweet. Gotta give him a plug.... thanks for yoiur help though guys, i've learned alot from reading the forum a couple days.

Custom Autosport Atco, NJ (856) 753-1148; great service, greater deals

Closed Thread