+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Sound damping: What am I doing wrong?

Water Bear is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Sound damping: What am I doing wrong?

I just did some basic sound damping on my door. Covered all the openings in the door with Second Skin Damplifier. Added some Luxury Liner here and there, used the rope to create a better seal, etc.

Everything I've read indicates that doing this sort of thing "increases mid bass."

Well...I just did A/B testing. The driver side door is not treated, the passenger door is treated. I tried my best to put my head in between both seats to account for listening position. Then I played pure test tones and used the balancer to switch the output between the left front door and the right. The door without the treatment was louder at 60 and 120 Hertz. The door with the treatment was louder at 240 Hertz.

Isn't this exactly the opposite of what is supposed to happen? What is going on here? (Maybe I just don't unerstand what "mid bass" means).

Polk DB 6.5 components and coaxials, Alpine MRV M1200 (1200x1 @ 2) and MRX F30 (50x4 @ 4) amplifiers, Pioneer double din HU, Sundown SA-12 in ported enclosure (built to spec).

Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7788 Post(s)

Re: Sound damping: What am I doing wrong?

you didnt do anything to treat the rear wave nor do you actually have any solid material to close off the giant gaps in the doors to make the door a real speaker enclosure AKA sheet metal or Mass loaded vinyl. Deadener alone is completely useless on that because its flimsy, you need something solid or else its not going to work. Deadener is just there to lower resonances and dampen some vibration. You have two other parts that you neglected so this is the result of a half @ssed job acoustical treatment job sorry to say. Look at keep hope alive's build logs and you'll see the other two steps you forgot to take.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    you didnt do anything to treat the rear wave nor do you actually have any solid material to close off the giant gaps in the doors to make the door a real speaker enclosure AKA sheet metal or Mass loaded vinyl. Deadener alone is completely useless on that because its flimsy, you need something solid or else its not going to work. Deadener is just there to lower resonances and dampen some vibration. You have two other parts that you neglected so this is the result of a half @ssed job acoustical treatment job sorry to say. Look at keep hope alive's build logs and you'll see the other two steps you forgot to take.
    Here's the deal. Subaru includes a plastic cover for the largest hole in the door. I popped that out, deadened it, and put some Luxury Liner on the back - AKA closed cell foam. I have MDF on hand and a jig saw, so if necessary I could cut a piece of MDF in the same shape and replace the plastic cover.

The other two open holes in the door are about 12" x 6" and maybe 6" square. The larger one has the steel cables running through it for the door handle. Even Mark from CAF just hit that with MLV, no solid backing.

I'll upload some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Polk DB 6.5 components and coaxials, Alpine MRV M1200 (1200x1 @ 2) and MRX F30 (50x4 @ 4) amplifiers, Pioneer double din HU, Sundown SA-12 in ported enclosure (built to spec).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

The question is this: Should I get MLV to plug the holes, cut out MDF, or...?

Slo_Ride is offline Take It Easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3230 Post(s)

Sheetmetal is your friend. You wouldn't build a subwoofer box out of saran wrap would you?

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Will MDF work? I've got that on hand so it's a much quicker solution.

wew lad is offline wew lad inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2850 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Water Bear View Post
    Will MDF work? I've got that on hand so it's a much quicker solution.
    not in a door unless you treat it because the inside of doors get wet

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudz View Post
    Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

LosIsATool is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7695 Post(s)

Ive never had to use anything more then deadener for holes. But Ive never had huge holes.
    Just do both doors and enjoy. You are overthinking it.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0T
    JBL MS-8
    DD M1c, DD SS4A
    IDQ12v4 1.8cu sealed
    Hertz HT28
    Hertz HV165XL
    Knuconceptz OFC, Custom fit Soundrive RCAs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wew lad View Post
    not in a door unless you treat it because the inside of doors get wet
    I was thinking of just hitting both sides with Damplifier. I believe it's water proof, and the panels in question are pretty high up.

I wonder how much some spray-on bed liner costs...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LosIsATool View Post
    I’ve never had to use anything more then deadener for holes. But I’ve never had huge holes.
    Just do both doors and enjoy. You are overthinking it.
    In this video the guy just slaps a layer of damper directly on the door, and that's it. I've seen other videos where the same guy uses something more solid. It's very confusing how much effort is actually necessary here...

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List