+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Reload Thread: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

  1. #1
    Deficit's Avatar
    Deficit is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Icon8 Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Hello All,

    This is my first post from a longtime audio fanatic (1998)

    Anyways everything was fantastic until this morning. While driving to work I made a phone call and then put the music on (JLW7 12" and hiphonics brx 2400). Almost right away my sub began to make a very loud popping noise every second or so. I have my box in the back of my truck and was amazed to see the sub was going past max excursions n each time. I was able to pull over within 10 seconds or so but the damage was done.

    So tonight after work I decided to try another box to see what happened ( 2 10" alpine type r's). Here is where I am confused. Once everything was connected I turned turned the key to start my head unit but not start the car. 15 minutes or so I was happy, everything was put away and I had to go to the store. I started the car and the music plays, the amp is on but no bass. I turned the engine off and the music and subs both played.... Very strange, I repeated this a couple times and the result was the same.

    Once more I tried it started the car and POP-POP-POP. I quickly ripped the speaker wires out of the amp and I do not believe the subs are damaged.

    I cannot figure out what is wrong, and what would cause this. For years this setup has been problem free with no issues. The only recent change was that I had an Optima red top put in Sunday. I watched the tech do the install and everything was done correctly.

    Any ideas what this could be? It's only been about an hour and I'm missing it. Any help would be great!







  2. #2
    ashren315's Avatar
    ashren315 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canton, MS
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Deficit View Post
    Hello All,

    This is my first post from a longtime audio fanatic (1998)

    Anyways everything was fantastic until this morning. While driving to work I made a phone call and then put the music on (JLW7 12" and hiphonics brx 2400). Almost right away my sub began to make a very loud popping noise every second or so. I have my box in the back of my truck and was amazed to see the sub was going past max excursions n each time. I was able to pull over within 10 seconds or so but the damage was done.

    So tonight after work I decided to try another box to see what happened ( 2 10" alpine type r's). Here is where I am confused. Once everything was connected I turned turned the key to start my head unit but not start the car. 15 minutes or so I was happy, everything was put away and I had to go to the store. I started the car and the music plays, the amp is on but no bass. I turned the engine off and the music and subs both played.... Very strange, I repeated this a couple times and the result was the same.

    Once more I tried it started the car and POP-POP-POP. I quickly ripped the speaker wires out of the amp and I do not believe the subs are damaged.

    I cannot figure out what is wrong, and what would cause this. For years this setup has been problem free with no issues. The only recent change was that I had an Optima red top put in Sunday. I watched the tech do the install and everything was done correctly.

    Any ideas what this could be? It's only been about an hour and I'm missing it. Any help would be great!
    So car running and radio on = no sound from subs and car turned to just accessories but not running = sound coming from subs?

    And amp has power in both scenarios?

    Only thing I can think of is some sort of voltage issue when the car is running. Have you tested your voltage on your positive wire at your amp? Perhaps the amp is going into some sort of protection mode when the car is running. Maybe at the higher voltage you are likely getting with the car actually running is giving you more power to the amp and if the subs are damaged "somewhat" maybe they are throwing a bad ohm load to the amp.




  3. #3
    10k-watts's Avatar
    10k-watts is offline Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Voltage and maybe bad connection somewhere...check ground and make sure u have a clean and tight connection

    Mr. 10K




  4. #4
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Bannned



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    I would def check connections 1st before buying anything. Because 90% of the time is something lose or came undone. I'd check your ground 1st.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  5. #5
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    I would def check connections 1st before buying anything. Because 90% of the time is something lose or came undone. I'd check your ground 1st.
    Yep, most electrical problems can be traced to one of two problems: 1.Not plugged in, or 2. Not turned on.

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  6. Dislikes Boomin_tahoe disliked this post
  7. #6
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Bannned



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Yep, most electrical problems can be traced to one of two problems: 1.Not plugged in, or 2. Not turned on.

    John Kuthe...
    Why are you commenting?

    Your input isn't needed since we have REAL hands on people that are able to help others troubleshoot.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  8. Dislikes JohnKuthe disliked this post
  9. #7
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Why are you commenting?

    Your input isn't needed since we have REAL hands on people that are able to help others troubleshoot.
    Because this is an electrical truth me and my EE lab buddies discovered in the EE lab one evening working on an EE project.

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  10. Dislikes Boomin_tahoe disliked this post
  11. #8
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Bannned



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Because this is an electrical truth me and my EE lab buddies discovered in the EE lab one evening working on an EE project.

    John Kuthe...
    Nobody cares what you and your buddies did in the 70's.

    This is 2017. Past your prime. So what you have commented in this thread is really meaningless.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  12. Dislikes JohnKuthe disliked this post
  13. #9
    Flipper245's Avatar
    Flipper245 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Langley bc
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Yep, most electrical problems can be traced to one of two problems: 1.Not plugged in, or 2. Not turned on.

    John Kuthe...
    Seriously? Did you read the f u c k I n g problem you dumb c u n t? If it's not plugged in or turned on, how would he get popping noises? Just when I thought you couldn't get stupider. How stoned were you when you figured out it wasn't turned on. Oh wooooowww maaaaan! Duhhhh!




  14. Thanks Austin175 thanked for this post
    Likes Boomin_tahoe, sherwood71 liked this post
  15. #10
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Bannned



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    He's trolling...



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  16. #11
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Nobody cares what you and your buddies did in the 70's.

    This is 2017. Past your prime. So what you have commented in this thread is really meaningless.
    I was in WashU's engineering school in the 1990's, 1989 to 1995 actually.

    And Truths are timeless!

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  17. Dislikes Boomin_tahoe disliked this post
  18. #12
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Bannned



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3132 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Go to a Bingo hall or something. Get your wortlessass off this forum.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  19. #13
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1049 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Go to a Bingo hall or something. Get your wortlessass off this forum.
    Envious? GOOD!! I'm so gonna rub your nose in it WHEN I decide to finally retire! Bet I do before YOU! :-)

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  20. Dislikes Boomin_tahoe disliked this post
  21. #14
    Austin175's Avatar
    Austin175 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Burlington,Ia
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    222 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper245 View Post
    Seriously? Did you read the f u c k I n g problem you dumb c u n t? If it's not plugged in or turned on, how would he get popping noises? Just when I thought you couldn't get stupider. How stoned were you when you figured out it wasn't turned on. Oh wooooowww maaaaan! Duhhhh!
    Lmmfao!



    2003 Lancer ES
    H/U- Pioneer 880prs
    Mids/Highs- ????
    Sub Stage- DC Xlm2 12s(soon to be FI BTL Neo's)
    Mids/Highs Amp- Crescendo 1000C4
    Sub Amp- 2 Ampere 3800.1s
    Wiring- Welding 2/0, Welding 4g & Welding 8g
    Alt-????
    Batteries- 4 Xs Xp3ks & 1 Lithium
    Enclosure- 3.33Cf tuned to 34hrtz

  22. #15
    Deficit's Avatar
    Deficit is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Subwoofer Making LOUD popping noise

    So....in case anyone was wondering it ended up being a bad amp. The ground was good, constant power, rcas and turn in wiring was all in tact.

    It's been about 2 weeks now and no problems.

    I would like to thank those that came up with valid suggestions, much appreciated




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum