+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Reload Thread: H/O alternator questions

  1. #1
    Cm_low's Avatar
    Cm_low is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Arnold, MO
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    H/O alternator questions

    Not ready to pull the trigger yet but wanted to get some answers for future electrical upgrades. When I am looking for a h/o alternator for my car do I have to be looking for vehicle specific alternators or are they interchangeable among some vehicles? It sounds like a stupid question but I get each has specific mounting brackets and pulleys to match belts and such. I guess I am asking does anyone know if my vehicle has interchangeable alternators with other vehicles or is there like a specific category/class of alternators that fit a group of vehicles.

    I have a 2012 chevy cruze LS. I believe it is a 120 amp stock alternator though I have seen other info saying 100 amp and 130 amp too. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks







  2. #2
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    There may be a few that could be interchangeable...but not sure. And only those who have/had them can speak up. There might be some that fit other years as well. For instance, s10 is a very popular vehicle, along with chevy, may fit other years besides just one and s10 blazer and s10 p/u.

    I would be vehicle specific when ordering/buying one for your vehicle. This way you should get a direct bolt on plug and play type deal.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  3. Likes JohnKuthe liked this post
  4. #3
    Cm_low's Avatar
    Cm_low is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Arnold, MO
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    I can find new h/o alternators fairly easy on the Web but if I ever came across a used listing for decent price I wanted to know what I was looking for, does it have to be chevy cruze 2012 vehicle specific only or what? That is kind of the reason for the post and what I am looking for primarily but other info is welcome too.




  5. #4
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    You would have to look that info up yourself, which can be easily found via the internet.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  6. #5
    Popwarhomie's Avatar
    Popwarhomie is online now Team Lethal Pressure



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1418 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Hmmm. Are you shopping for an eBay alt???

    All you have to do is contact the alternator builder of your choice and give him your year make and model with engine size.



    2016 Focus ST3 - LC7i / Hertz dsk165.3s/ PPI900.4 /
    2010 Focus coupe [email protected]
    Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /
    https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

  7. #6
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Hmmm. Are you shopping for an eBay alt???

    Are you have to do is contact the alternator builder of your choice and give him your year make and model with engine size.
    Swear I said that already....



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  8. #7
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cm_low View Post
    Not ready to pull the trigger yet but wanted to get some answers for future electrical upgrades. When I am looking for a h/o alternator for my car do I have to be looking for vehicle specific alternators or are they interchangeable among some vehicles? It sounds like a stupid question but I get each has specific mounting brackets and pulleys to match belts and such. I guess I am asking does anyone know if my vehicle has interchangeable alternators with other vehicles or is there like a specific category/class of alternators that fit a group of vehicles.

    I have a 2012 chevy cruze LS. I believe it is a 120 amp stock alternator though I have seen other info saying 100 amp and 130 amp too. Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks
    Some may be interchangeable between several vehicles but that's up to the auto makers and not that important to you and YOUR vehicle. Always get any alt for your vehicle precisely for YOUR vehicle.

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  9. #8
    Popwarhomie's Avatar
    Popwarhomie is online now Team Lethal Pressure



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1418 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Swear I said that already....
    Nope.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    I would be vehicle specific when ordering/buying one for your vehicle. This way you should get a direct bolt on plug and play type deal.



    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post

    All you have to do is contact the alternator builder of your choice and give him your year make and model with engine size.



    2016 Focus ST3 - LC7i / Hertz dsk165.3s/ PPI900.4 /
    2010 Focus coupe [email protected]
    Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /
    https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

  10. #9
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Some may be interchangeable between several vehicles but that's up to the auto makers and not that important to you and YOUR vehicle. Always get any alt for your vehicle precisely for YOUR vehicle.

    John Kuthe...
    Why are you talking?

    I already said that....only my comment was better.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  11. Dislikes JohnKuthe disliked this post
  12. #10
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Nope.
    Yeah. Same thing, just worded differently.


    **** outta here john.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  13. Dislikes JohnKuthe disliked this post
  14. #11
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    Why are you talking?

    I already said that....only my comment was better.
    Your comments once again degenerated into being s ucky.

    Besides multiple comments indicating the same solution is a pretty good indication it''s the best thing to do. Ya think? ;-)

    John Kuthe,,,



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  15. #12
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Your comments once again degenerated into being s ucky.

    Besides multiple comments indicating the same solution is a pretty good indication it''s the best thing to do. Ya think? ;-)

    John Kuthe,,,
    You have no business here if you had no exp....i.e. a HO alt.

    I already added my many replies.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

  16. #13
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomin_tahoe View Post
    You have no business here if you had no exp....i.e. a HO alt.
    I used to do auto repair years ago all the time. I worked on ALL my own aircooled VWs back in the 1980s and into the 1990s! A LOT!

    I already added my many replies.
    You are only one person.

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  17. #14
    JohnKuthe's Avatar
    JohnKuthe is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1094 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cm_low View Post
    I can find new h/o alternators fairly easy on the Web but if I ever came across a used listing for decent price I wanted to know what I was looking for, does it have to be chevy cruze 2012 vehicle specific only or what? That is kind of the reason for the post and what I am looking for primarily but other info is welcome too.
    Alternators normally have to be specific to the engine in the vehicle you have, as an alt is normally hanging off the side of the engine. Unless you wanna do alt adaptors for some specific reason.

    John Kuthe...



    2006 Grand Caravan "Baby II"
    Alpine CDE-153BT HU
    Alpine PXA-H800 DSP
    Alpine PDX-V9 main amp
    Alpine PDR-V75 secondary amp
    4 Alpine SPR-69 6x9" midrange
    2 PHD 5.1 AF 5.25" drivers w/ separate tweeters and passive crossovers with plans of going full active!
    JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer set to 2 Ohms
    Damplifier Pro, BQuiet and Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening, lots!

  18. #15
    Boomin_tahoe's Avatar
    Boomin_tahoe is offline Hurtin' feelings errrday.



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3275 Post(s)

    Re: H/O alternator questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    I used to do auto repair years ago all the time. I worked on ALL my own aircooled VWs back in the 1980s and into the 1990s! A LOT!



    You are only one person.


    John Kuthe...
    Oh so your a mechanic this week.

    Keep dem lies coming.....

    ---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKuthe View Post
    Alternators normally have to be specific to the engine in the vehicle you have, as an alt is normally hanging off the side of the engine. Unless you wanna do alt adaptors for some specific reason.

    John Kuthe...
    Wrong. Some can fit other vehicles moron. Do the google search.



    97 4 dr. Tahoe
    Optima redtop
    Alpine 9835
    Polk Audio MM6501 coming soon...
    Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D & 4.500 amps
    2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum