After a long while without, I finally have a dedicated sub/amp combo again. Because of a lack of time, I initially quickly installed it without dealing with the remote-cable (I used a small switch for turning the amp on and off that I had at hand). After forgetting to turn the amp off a few times and finding my car with a dead battery, I opted to go ahead and install the remote-cable so that the amp would turn on when the radio turned on and off when the radio was turned off again.
Before the installation of the remote-cable, the whole system worked perfectly with the use of the switch. After installation of the remote-cable, nothing works anymore. Here is what I have already done/tested:
- I switched out the amp with one of a mate, to no avail
- I switched out the sub with one of a mate, to no avail
- I went back to the setup with the switch instead of remote-cable, to no avial
- I measured the current coming into the amp, it has the correct voltage (13,7V I think, the same as the battery itself)
- I checked all fuses in the system, none were blown
After trying all these things, I was puzzled. I got my friend to turn the radio on with the remote-cable installed and measured the current with a multi-meter as he did this. The voltage was normal until he turned it on, and the second he did, it dropped to 1,4V and veryvery slowly started climbing up again.
How in god's name is this possible and how do I fix it?