Closed Thread

Reload Thread: If i got an amp by 65 x 4 (80 x 4 by 2ohms), will it blow my speaker.....? HELP ASAP!

nofriends46 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If i got an amp by 65 x 4 (80 x 4 by 2ohms), will it blow my speaker.....? HELP ASAP!

Its a 4-channel amp, Us Acoustics, i wanna push my 4" Pioneer Speakers (90watt peak) and 5 1/4" Pioneer speakers (120watts peak) in the back... Crutchfield emailed me saying i would probably blow my speakers? Do you think i would blow it if i get this amp? Or i should go something like 50 x 4, or 40 x 4, or 35 x 4, or 25 x 4?
    Has anyone gotten an amp that is over power than your speakers can handle, for example you gotten a 75 x 4 and your pushing your 5 1/4" speakes that is rated 120watts or something?

Help!

If its to powerful, make your pick on amp i should get that is under $200

I see Jensen, Profile, Profile Clarus , Lightning Audio, Kenwood, Alpine, Kicker that is under 200 and others. Is these brands way to go.... would would be your top 3 picks....

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so that maybe somenioe will stop wondering that and answer him! lol.
    ok heres waht I have to say...
    they shouldnt blow your speakers, if your gainsa re set low enough, BUT, i would go to a slightly smaller amp try a nioce little alpine, the kenwoods are decent evnty level amps...
    the lightning audio is great, same board as RF... as long as its teh upper end of their line....
    those ampsa re decent, most of em...
    match teh RMS power, not the peak power....
    find out the RMS and match them...
    hope i fcould help...

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

nofriends46 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the INFO! Really helped!
    I think i'm gonna get a Soundstream Rubicon 204, over a Punch 200.4. I had alot of votes on sounddomain message board like this, for Soundstream. So i'm probably gonna go with that, also someone suggested i should place a bass blocker 600hz over the 4" and bass blocker 150hz to the 5 1/4". Sound good?

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    sure dood sounds good, dont ahve much esperience with B-blcoekrs (acvtually none lol) and little or no install experience or knowledge, lol.
    most of waht i know (and its not always that much on many subjexcts) has been picked up off this forum...

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 Hello........Crossovers !!!

Why don't you get an amplifier that has internal crossovers????? Then you can set those channels on high-pass and not mess around with signal-killing bass blockers. And just a word to the wise...the people at Crutchfield don't know car audio from their own butt holes. The reason they told you that you would blow your speakers is to try and get you to buy more powerful and of course more expensive speakers.

Last edited by Larrydehp920r; 05-18-2002 at 06:12 AM.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    You don't have to set an amp to full power - simply adjust the gain to give whatever power your speakers can handle. The USX-4065 would be more than adequate for your needs.

The US Acoustics amps have adjustable hi-pass settings that will give you much much more control over the roll-off frequencies than a simple bass blocker would. Start with it set for 90 Hz and see how that sounds. If the 4" jobs still break up then add a 150 bass blocker just for them.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread