Closed Thread

Reload Thread: alternator issues

freddrick is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alternator issues

I recently had a wrangler alternator put in and lights still dim on heavy bass notes. the alternator is said to be 175 amps so I would think that that would be enough concidering I had the stock alternator which is 80 amps running the same set up, a diamond 600.2 (600x1) and a 400.4 (50x4) what gives I have a 1200.1 on the way will this present a problem the new amp draws about 125 amps and I figure the 4 channel draws 35 amps anybody have an answer?

KARLEON is offline Livin' Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: alternator issues

How long has this been a problem, like did you just install everything and go outside sit in the drive way and bump? Because im thinking most High output alternators, u have to reach a certain RPM before it puts out the max. If you are driving around and you notice the dimming, then i dont know. Ummm, maybe your battery is a bit weak. Try charging that or may even replace it. Also try to upgrade the Big 3. I hear that can help alot with dimming, but i cant say as hands on witness because i havent gotten my alternator back yet.

ULTIMATE SOUNDS & PERFORMANCE Presents TWO DUDES SPL SHOOTOUT - 1st Place Champion

REFERENCES: Bigbassman, Rangerman, Deserheat, Bavarian, Req, Vosschs, George, Mountaineer Man, NGSM13, Kingpin_jeffie, Harrison, Dustin19, Iceteebone, Electrodynamic, Memphis4L, RaiN, Mikemareen, Omietrice, Suleman36, Jmanpc, Kickerlivinloud, ibanender, massiveaudiocw, phoenix88, polecat, j3bus2k3

freddrick is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it seems that the lights dim at any rpm I was thinking of changing the battery soon. what is the big 3 and what kind of price am I looking at? system is over budget and this is before the new amp comes in.

KARLEON is offline Livin' Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Big 3 upgrade is basically upgrading some of your main wires up under the hood. It gives you a better current flow and help stablize your voltage drops. Plus its less strain on your vehicle electrical system. Its 3 simple steps. (Well some say its simple) It doesnt cost much at all, especially if you have some extra materials laying around the house from previous installs. Anywayz, with 4 gauge or larger wire you would need to replace the wire going from your 1) Battery negative to chassis 2) Alternator to battery positive 3) Chassis to engine. I hear you would need to fuse the wire from your alternator to battery positive. Ummm, i dont know if theres a detailed way how to do it here, but check out Sounddomain.com site. Up under their electrical titles, its a sticky and it goes into details.

So basically far as material.. a few feet of 4 gauge wire or larger...the metal crimp things that goes on the end of the wire...and if im right about fusing that, a fuse and fuse block... but check out that site, it can be more helpful than me

ULTIMATE SOUNDS & PERFORMANCE Presents TWO DUDES SPL SHOOTOUT - 1st Place Champion

REFERENCES: Bigbassman, Rangerman, Deserheat, Bavarian, Req, Vosschs, George, Mountaineer Man, NGSM13, Kingpin_jeffie, Harrison, Dustin19, Iceteebone, Electrodynamic, Memphis4L, RaiN, Mikemareen, Omietrice, Suleman36, Jmanpc, Kickerlivinloud, ibanender, massiveaudiocw, phoenix88, polecat, j3bus2k3

onlyphases is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In addition to the previously mentioned.
    Look at changing the battery to a larger Deep Cycle Battery (i.e. Optima Yellow Top).

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Batteries don't do anything for dimming. He has a 200A alt, the supply of current is not the issue. The problem is the restrictive wiring under the hood costing him voltage. Replace the big 3 as mentioned above and your problem should be fixed.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread