Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Alternator Advise for 1300 Watts

BBB
    BBB is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alternator Advise for 1300 Watts

I'm going to have about 1300 RMS watts (1000/1 & 300/2) powering my system in a VW Passat. Will this be too much for a 14 volt / 90 watt factory amp?

Is there a rule of thumb here, or are there too many variables?

pavengmike6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alternator Advise for 1300 Watts

There are a lot of variables when you do this. The best way I can tell you to do it is to hook up your system. Make sure you use a ground that is the same size as the power wire. Do the big 3 under the hood, and see what you get. You may have minimal headlight dimming, and on the other hand you may not have any at all. It all depends on the current draw of the factory installed items on your car. If I were a to bet, I would say you are going to be about 40 amps short. That is if you are driving at night with the a/c on and the stereo cranked up. If you are driving in the day without the a/c you might just break even. Hook it all up and take it to an alternator dealer in your area and they can measure the current draw on the spot. Then you will know how big of an alt you will need to get if any.

Qckrun is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on what you want to do? Depends if ur gonna compete, or if your just going for street Beat. My rule of thumb is... if your gonna do it once, do it right the 1st time and get the biggest u can possibly get. Why do you ask, because eventually your gonna upgrade your system, and u dont want to have to upgrade the electrical at the same time, it will get very costly. So if your gonna do an alt, get the biggest you possibly can. Contact Dominick Iraggi dominick@tds.net, he is the $hit when it comes to alts. Tell him what you need/want and he'll hook you up.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

to give you an idea, i'm running 1.7 kW off my factory alt (135A) with no real mods to the electrical system, so something over 100A is definitely going to power 1.3 quite effectively.

Closed Thread