+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Completely new to everything, need death metal setup.

BlaineGreen is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Completely new to everything, need death metal setup.

Hello everyone. I am completely new to car audio. Right now everything in the car is just stock, but I listen to heavy metal and it just sounds ****** in the stock speakers. So I want to install a new setup to suffice what I need, to rock. Okay so my question is, what kind of speakers, amp, subs etc should I use for a good sound in heavy metal?? I have read that 10's are better than 12's because they push harder? and also I have seen people say enclosed is better etc I just have no clue where to start, any help is appreciated. Budget, right now is around 500, but as I can save more it will go up.

Based is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Re: Completely new to everything, need death metal setup.

It's more about the box you put the subwoofer in rather than the size of the subwoofer. I have 4 15s and they can do metal just as good as they can do rap .

I'd say for rock/metal stuff, upgrading your door speakers is more of a priority than people who generally listen to rap and stuff like that. This is because Rock/Metal has a lot more going on in the higher frequencies than the lower bass frequencies. I'm not saying Rock doesn't have bass because it does, but it's not as prominent as in rap/electronic music.

What is your stock system? Do you have a component system or just door speakers? A component system will have a smaller speaker called a tweeter that is mounted somewhere by your dash while also having a speaker in your doors. If you do have a component system then that puts you a little bit ahead. If you do not then that is ok it just means we have to look for different things.

Regarding a subwoofer, the bigger the better. There is a saying that is "Cone area is king" which basically means the bigger your subwoofer the louder it can be. Tell us what kind of space you have and we can point you in the right direction.

I think that you can get a setup you are happy with for 500$ definetly.

C1500martin is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

i started with a budget of $500 in march, to this day I'm $2200 into my system and its still not in my truck, i need another $700to finish lol, id try to help but i know nothing of how metal/rock plays in a system. good luck man hopefully you don't have to dig as deep in your pockets as i did

Bought From: blazian87, DonH, vanillagorilla, the silverman, mylows10, audioman14, garychoffmann, CSCStang
    Traded To: Radiospank, allauto6293
    Sold To: greenpat01, Justin braaapp, jeepguylv

Whip 1: Dayton HO 12, Jbl MS62c, old school RF 1001bd, and Punch 500x
    Whip 2: Soundqubed hds312 bundle, Q4-90 coaxial bundle with JBL p660 comps upfront

4. Likes MakkMar10 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C1500martin View Post
    i started with a budget of $500 in march, to this day I'm $2200 into my system and its still not in my truck, i need another $700to finish lol, id try to help but i know nothing of how metal/rock plays in a system. good luck man hopefully you don't have to dig as deep in your pockets as i did
    lmao yea it can get pricey if you want to do the whole nine yards that's for suuuuurrreeeee. By the time I'm done my substage I'll be in the 3500$ range hahaha.

C1500martin is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Based View Post
    lmao yea it can get pricey if you want to do the whole nine yards that's for suuuuurrreeeee. By the time I'm done my substage I'll be in the 3500$ range hahaha.
    i went used with my sub and 2 amps so i saved almost a grand there got good deals on them hopefully an alt pops up and ill save on that too

Bought From: blazian87, DonH, vanillagorilla, the silverman, mylows10, audioman14, garychoffmann, CSCStang
    Traded To: Radiospank, allauto6293
    Sold To: greenpat01, Justin braaapp, jeepguylv

Whip 1: Dayton HO 12, Jbl MS62c, old school RF 1001bd, and Punch 500x
    Whip 2: Soundqubed hds312 bundle, Q4-90 coaxial bundle with JBL p660 comps upfront

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I just have the door speakers but my space is infinite. Well, not literally, but the trunk is huge, so I could fit some big stuff in here.I'm not sure how big the space in the doors are, So you say upgrading the door speakers, what do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineGreen View Post
    I just have the door speakers but my space is infinite. Well, not literally, but the trunk is huge, so I could fit some big stuff in here.I'm not sure how big the space in the doors are, So you say upgrading the door speakers, what do you recommend?
    Aight that's fine. Before we can look for door speakers we need to know what size your door can fit. You can probably find out your speaker size just by googling your vehicle. Example: "2003 F150 speaker size". So just go do that and come back.

And for your subwoofer space. Whenever it is daylight just go out and get a measuring tape and measure out the max space you have for a box. Make sure you measure a space that can fit a rectangle/square box, like no weird crevices etc. You need to measure for Length (side to side), height (floor to roof), and depth (front of trunk to back of trunk).

Jeffdachef is online now 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1389 Post(s)

What do you prefer? do you prefer screaming highs? Lung crushing bass or just fast thumps that dont dig low? in your face vocals or instrument seperation? What car is this, Stock head unit or what model head unit do you have? First step is to upgrade the head unit man and add an amp. stock speakers actually sound a hell of a lot better with a good source and power going through them and proper high pass filter options.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Yeah a new HU (Head Unit aka the radio aka the thing with the volume knob on it) is the absolute first thing you should do. Then after that you should decide if you are ok with how the mids/highs sound coming from your doors or not. Mids and highs are the vocals, cymbals, instruments... everything but the bass basically. And if you are content with the way the mids/highs come out of your doors then I would suggest get your sub setup first. Turn the bass on your door speakers down so it doesn't distort when you turn it up, and leave the bass to the sub(s). After that if you want better mids/highs then you can either just put an amp on your doors or replace your doors and put an amp on the new speakers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Front is 6-1/2
    Rear is 6-1/2,6"x8"
    Front door 6-1/2
    Rear side panel 6-1/2
    Rear deck is 6x8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Completely new to everything, need death metal setup.-screenshot_2014-07-18-21-01-35.png  

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

What's a good head unit to get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Is your stock head unit a single DIN or double DIN? Google that too. Just google what size radio your car can fit. Single DIN is smaller whereas most Double DIN radios are pretty big and are touchscreen and have backup camera options and **** like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1389 Post(s)

something with 3 sets of rca outputs preferably 4 volts or higher, 24 bit Digital audio convertors, Digital time alignment capable. alpine 147 bt, clarion cz702 are good budget head units. I would seriously do the head unit and amplifier first before even thinking of putting in new aftermarket speakers. If you think throwing in new speakers and it'll sound better then stock. STOP! IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. Aftermarkets need power and need to be in a proper enclosure for it to perform. If you dont know proper install methods along with a lack of amplified power, putting in new aftermarkets will sound worse then stock.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

It's a single DIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1389 Post(s)

It's a single DIN
    the ones I listed are all single dins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast