+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: JL Audio System problems

EMHUSH is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL Audio System problems

Hello, new guy here from canada. I made an account today to ask you guys your opinion on the problems im having, while i wait im going to take a look around and see whats up.

About two months ago i bought a system for around 3500 bucks, it included:

JL Audio c570s for front comps on clearance
    JL Audio C3s (i believe) in the back
    JL Audio XD1000/5 Amp
    Jl Audio Powerwedge (two 10 inch 10w3v3 in a sealed box)
    Pioneer prs-80 for a headunit

So this is my setup as of now, after i had some problems with a custom box from visions that was ported (the guy tried to tell me that 10w3v3 can only be put in a ported box, needless to say a short time later i got my money back)

So to my problems - It started out as the right side mid cutting in and out rarely, and became more frequent as time went on. now it doesnt work at all, my connections to the speaker are soldered, and my connections to my amp are solid aswell(i restripped the ends for good measure) i then looked at the cables and wires i ran under the carpet for chafing etc and found nothing, the tweeter on the same side was working fine so i assume the crossover isnt the problem. so i opened up the door panel to check the solder joints and leads on the speaker, which were fine and so i pushed on the front of the speaker, it made a small amount of noise but stopped quickly(i could only get it to make noise the once) so i went to visions and to see about warrantying my woofer, and on the way my left tweeter started shutting off until i turned it down for a few seconds and it came back. So now im wondering what the **** is going on? is my amp tuned too high? i had a guy who is an installer tune the system by ear, and i dont get any distortion at high volume(59 of 62 on the head unit) so i have no idea what is going on. my only guess is that it isnt tuned properly and the amp is frying the crossovers? i dont know. Oh and also my ground is solid right to a body panel, cleaned and bolted, also i have a 200 amp alternator + big three upgrade so i dont think its on the install of things.

What im wondering is if i get the comps sent to JL will they repair them and send them back or will they replace them? I also have instore warranty with visions.

Is it possible that i damaged the amp? and i play my stereo every day at high volume could that be a factor? Sorry about the barrage of questions im just a little frustrated that i have a 3500 dollar pile of crap system.

CSCStang is online now STAY TUNED...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: JL Audio System problems

Take it back to the shop. Thats a nice chunk of change you forked out. Didn't the shop set your gains properly? You can clip a signal (distortion)before it even reaches your ears. Much better to set gains with a dmm, dd1 or oscope. Sounds like it's a little late for that now. You need to start testing your system, starting with the right mid. It will put your amp into protect mode if it's blown, causing the tweet to stop working. Test the voice coils to see if they are fried. You need to start there.

AVH3600BHS
    Front: PPS 4-6/Kappa 682.9cf
    PPI 900.4
    Sub:2 HDS210d4 2.5cuft net@35hz. (Designed by skdooley/Built by me)
    BRX2000@1 ohm
    big 3: 2/0 weld wire
    Knu ofc 1/0 runs

Bought from: tat2bass, xxxbasshead
    Sold to: lovecat48519

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

where are the crossovers mounted?

speakers shouldn't make noise when you move them because the system shouldn't be on when making changes.

i commonly see issues with passive crossovers and they will behave like this. it can be from corrosion from getting wet (such as inside doors) or poor solder connections or heat or cold, etc. Passive crossovers are very sensitive to the environment and should be mounted next to the amplifier or inside the cabin in a safe, dry, place. doing so requires running extra wire so installers typically put them next to the speakers inside the door. over time, water in the door causes corrosion (everytime it rains the inside of the door is wet)

crossovers will also fail from too much power. the tweeter protection circuit will engage from too much power or from a slight short due to water/moisture/corrosion.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

What else did you get for 3500?

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

If you paid a shop 3500$ for this they should be falling over themselves to make things right.

If you want to play around troubleshooting yourself it should be a simple process of elimination. Swap RCA's left to right into the amp and see if the problem moves to the other side, swap speaker outs left to right at the amp and see if the problem moves, lastly swap the speakers themselves to the crossover on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm leaning strongly to a passive crossover going out. If the crossovers are near the amps, it is possible to get the tweeters mixed up on the wrong crossovers if the cables arent labeled. You could possibly have one crossover going out with the the opposing tweeter on the same crossover as the mid that has gone out. Then again, I guess both crossovers could be going out if they arent in a safe, dry area.

All girls are whores, just ask your mom how you got here.

Feedback Thread
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407829-blackfx4intn-feedback-thread.html

EMHUSH is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well heres an update on my situation, i went tonight to meet with a friend of mine who installs car audio for a living and on the way there and the right side tweeter started popping like crazy, so my whole system is pretty much fucked at this point... im sick of dealing with this bullshit so im going to go in tomorrow and see about getting "higher up" that i could contact if it doesnt work out?

My buddy said i should just get my money back and he'll put a rockford system in the car that will "peel the skin off my face" lol.

oh and the crossovers are mounted on the kickpanels of the car

(edit) there is a visions electronics "head office" maybe this is who to call?

+ Reply to Thread