+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Sundown ZV.4 12 worth $500? Fi, SoundQuebed, Shocker?

anger is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sundown ZV.4 12 worth $500? Fi, SoundQuebed, Shocker?

I'm not a big fan of the 'what _____ should I buy' threads, but I don't have much knowledge on the higher-end subs and want to get some input. I recently sold all my entry-level subs and am looking to purchase 1 solid 12.

Only got 1000w at the moment (RF T1000bd-cp), will hopefully double that later...after getting my electrical/wiring solid. And about 4 cubes, after displacement, to work with for ported enclosure.

Some of the drivers I've been looking at:

Sundown ZV.4
    Fi BL
    SQ HDC 3.0
    Shocker Sig

All I know is that these have huge power handling capabilities compared to what I've owned in the past...and that's about it.

really diggin' the sundown, mostly cause it looks KNARLY, was like luv at first sight. But is it really worth $500 when I can get others that seem comparable, if not better for around $300?

I don't compete, just want something solid, loud & clean. I listen to anything from hip hop to metal.

Also, if anyone can direct me to some source of information on these shocker sigs, I'd appreciate it. Got a member here who will build & ship for a little under $400...I can't find much info on them, other than they all seem custom built, some pretty ugly, but highly regarded.

Thanks for any input.

supereikenator is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sundown ZV.4 12 worth $500? Fi, SoundQuebed, Shocker?

Shocker Sigs are beastly. Hispls is well worth it. If you don't want that, then I'd pick the BL or HDC3. The Sundown isn't bad by any means, but I definitely think the price is a bit high to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    I'm not saying my car is stupid loud cuz its not but I heard a solo x system and it made the air frequencies shake the whole car the side panels were even breathing back and forth. I'm not trying to start a huge fight but everyone is such a ****. Until you've heard the squares air don't say its not good
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Has nothing to with it. Squares make air frequencies travel farther that's the fact. ******* Google it. You just made yourself look like an idiot on a public forum.

3. Thanks anger thanked for this post
    southport2014 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look at the sq hdc4 subs 2000 watts rms and thats very underated

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

The question is... what do you WANT from the speaker ? Any decent speaker can get loud. If that is really all you want buy the cheapest one on your list... the Shocker Sig is particularly nasty for SPL, though, so is a great choice for loud.

VERY few speakers will produce bass with the low distortion level the Z v.4 will at the output levels it will. None of the other speakers you listed are of the same "type" of speaker as the Z v.4 -- none of them have custom tooled and patented frames to allow for over 4" of travel, incredibly linear suspension systems, dual shorting rings, etc. If you like the LOWEST of the low bass then the Z v.4 is going to be the superior choice from your list -- that is not subject to debate or opinion; it is a measurable fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    The question is... what do you WANT from the speaker ? Any decent speaker can get loud. If that is really all you want buy the cheapest one on your list... the Shocker Sig is particularly nasty for SPL, though, so is a great choice for loud.

VERY few speakers will produce bass with the low distortion level the Z v.4 will at the output levels it will. None of the other speakers you listed are of the same "type" of speaker as the Z v.4 -- none of them have custom tooled and patented frames to allow for over 4" of travel, incredibly linear suspension systems, dual shorting rings, etc. If you like the LOWEST of the low bass then the Z v.4 is going to be the superior choice from your list -- that is not subject to debate or opinion; it is a measurable fact.
    None of them come with sundowns patented glue that make the surrounds come undone 3 secs out of the box either :P lmao. 6 sundown sa's and i had to reglue every single one of them, honestly elmers stick glue wouldve worked better.

To the OP you definately don't need 4 cubes for a 12. off even double the power you have now most of the subs on your list wouldnt be at full potential. You could easily do 2 lesser power subs and get much more sound. 2 hds312's or even Sa 12's would do the trick. I like the sa's if the surround is glued on correct, and they like a smaller box which is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by bunkerking09 View Post
    i have a little weiner

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have a zv4 motor ill sell you so it doesnt cost you $500 for the sub.

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icweiner View Post
    None of them come with sundowns patented glue that make the surrounds come undone 3 secs out of the box either :P lmao. 6 sundown sa's and i had to reglue every single one of them, honestly elmers stick glue wouldve worked better.

To the OP you definately don't need 4 cubes for a 12. off even double the power you have now most of the subs on your list wouldnt be at full potential. You could easily do 2 lesser power subs and get much more sound. 2 hds312's or even Sa 12's would do the trick. I like the sa's if the surround is glued on correct, and they like a smaller box which is a plus.
    An SA-12 with the surround not glued properly ? That would be incredibly rare. Much less on six of them. If that were the case I assume you would have filled out an RMA form to have them replaced; but we have seen no such form nor any statistically significant cases of any SA series driver with such an issue (or E series, or SD-2 series, etc, etc).

The only drivers that we've ever seen any surround adhesion problems with to any significant level were the earliest X and Z v.4 drivers ; which had nothing to do with the adhesive at all. There was excess mold release agent on the surround glue pad which prevented the adhesive from grabbing the foam; any such problem has long since been fixed and any drivers that had the problem have been replaced at no cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An SA-12 with the surround not glued properly ? That would be incredibly rare. Much less on six of them. If that were the case I assume you would have filled out an RMA form to have them replaced; but we have seen no such form nor any statistically significant cases of any SA series driver with such an issue (or E series, or SD-2 series, etc, etc).

The only drivers that we've ever seen any surround adhesion problems with to any significant level were the earliest X and Z v.4 drivers ; which had nothing to do with the adhesive at all. There was excess mold release agent on the surround glue pad which prevented the adhesive from grabbing the foam; any such problem has long since been fixed and any drivers that had the problem have been replaced at no cost.
    I ordered 4 then some months later ordered 2 more. All the surrounds came off like they had no glue on them. They were 10's btw. No sense in sending back those subs for a 15 dollar glue fix. Glad you have solved the problem, just stating my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bunkerking09 View Post
    i have a little weiner

10. Likes supereikenator liked this post
    anger is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a good question. Not really sure what I'm looking for...other than something more impressive than the pair of P3 12's I had, and something that leaves room to upgrade in the power department.

I ordered the Z and am also having a shocker sig built. Will try both and see which I prefer.

Thanks for the input ppl. It's appreciated, as always.

+ Reply to Thread