+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Speaker Help

Ja50nh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speaker Help

Hi, just had 4 speakers and amplifier installed. After the install, the person who installed it showed it to me and it's capabilities. Upon leaving, I hopped into the car to leave and noticed there was a clicking noise coming from all 4 speakers. Told the guy, he had a fiddle with the settings on the amp and suddenly the front didn't have a clicking noise, only the read did.

The noise itself is a ticking sound, and is heard when the volume is on 0-30 (min-max, tested using 3.5mm & no music, it cannot be heard when there is music being played.

If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Speaker Help

Little update on this:

Tested ground for amp: repositioned in current spot, chose new spot, sanded to bare metal, ran some 8ga straight to negative terminal, still the problem persists.

Is there anyway I could test if it's the amp? It's currently using high level output just so I wouldn't have to use a LOC.

accuab is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could try it with a different source. If you know someone else with a 4 channel, you could swap it into their setup and see. Personally I would bring it back to the installepr if you paid him to do it. Another way to test if you have a male 3.5mm to male rca splitter would be to hook a phone or mp3 player to the amp and put 12v on the remote and see if the popping is still there.

Vehicle: 02 Cadillac Seville SLS Audio: In Progress

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, the RCA on the amp has a configuration like this:

Ch4 Ch1 Ch1
    Ch3 Ch2 Ch2

To hook up the splitter, the 3.5mm into the phone/mp3 and the 2 males into CH 1 and CH 1(?) while the speakers are still in the high level inputs?

The installer recommends I use a brand name amplifier, current using a ds18 1800.4 as I'm on a budget.

accuab is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Test 1&2 together then 3&4 without the speaker level connected. If its a low quality amp that could be your problem. Start the test with the volume down on the mp3 then raise it to check for the popping. If he didn't set the gain properly it may be clipping the signal.

Vehicle: 02 Cadillac Seville SLS Audio: In Progress

Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Stop testing and fixing things yourself. Go straight back to that installer and tell him to finish the **** job. Since you paid someone else to install its their problem to fix issues like this, not yours, if he refuses to fix it call up your credit card company and file a chargeback.

*Build in Progress*
    '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Headunit: Alpine CDE-136BT
    Front: JBL MS-62c
    Rear: None
    Sub: Sundown X-15
    Amps: Sundown 1200d , Searching for a 2-Chan
    Wiring: Knu Krystal Kables, Knu 0ga

7. Likes Chromatic liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely will, am going to get him to try my clarion xr2410 in with the speakers and if it eliminates the noise then we know it's the amp. If it is the amp, I'm going to try a LOC. Some people say high level input causes noise, some say RCA's cause noise, confusing.

Chromatic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm with Knowmadic on this.. You pay for an install,.. it needs to be right. End of story. I wouldn't have left the place with the noise,.. which is part of the reason I install myself,.. but also because install prices are so outrageous most of the time.

But for troubleshooting.. this has pretty much been said already -- But I'd swap the RCA's from front and rear.. See if the noise follows the RCA cable,.. or stays on the same channel. If it follows the RCA cable that is moved, then it's likely the cable. If not.. it's Amp, Speakers, or Wiring of course.

A ground loop eliminator would likely get rid of the noise ($5-$15) , but doesn't solve the underlying problem.

Bottom line, take it back.. don't be a jerk.. but be firm enough to not let the store get away with noise in the system. Even if they have to put new parts in.. it's their problem not yours.

I don't know the situation with your parts -- If you brought your own amp, and they put in other parts... they will try to blame any part that is *yours*.. Call them on it,.. tell them the amp was fine before it was installed (if it was yours).. and to test it with one of their amps. If their amp is clean, they just figured out the problem for you. If you bought ALL the stuff from them, cheap or not.. It needs to be 100% perfect and noise free.. no if, ands, or but's..

Good luck,

Vehicle: 2008 350Z
    Headunit: Kenwood DDX-470 - Front Stage: JBL 6.5" MS62C Components - Rear: (1998 German) MB Quart 6.5" QM-160-KX - Sub: SRQ Custom Enclosure with JL Audio 10" W0v3-4 @ 300w RMS - Amp: 5-Channel PPI 900.5 - Wiring: KnuKonceptz 4g Power/Ground + 3 Sets Twisted Pair RCA's - 14g Speaker wire - NVX + Rattletrap Extreme Sound Dampner (30Sq ft.) Throughout - Extras: Rear/Reverse Camera - KCA-iP-202 w/ Garmin Navigation Integrated with Touchscreen.

2010HHRUMADBRUH is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does the noise seem to change with the RPM's of the engine?

Is it noticeable with the engine off?

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3.5MM jack issue, try another source using a diff jack. does it do it when a cd is playing?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The noise is there ONLY when the car is on, no matter the circumstance. IE CD FM AM AUX, it is there at all volumes, including at complete 0. The ticking gets faster when I go from a stop to moving, when the car starts moving there is an audible whine also.

If I have the car off and turn the deck on, there is no noise and the audio is clear and crisp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

earth your rca's, check your alt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't use RCA's, amp had high level inputs. Planned on trying RCA's to see if it would get rid of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

unplug the speaker inputs and plug some rca's into the amp and try play something from your phone or ipod straight to the amp.

check headunit earth also

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I just ordered a male to 2 male splitter. So when I do plug it in and play music from my iphone/ipod, what should I be listening for if the speaker inputs have been disconnected?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast