+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Two power runs? Two fuses? Necessary?

ta2ed9783 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Two power runs? Two fuses? Necessary?

Would it be beneficial at all to run two 1/0 power runs from the back battery bank? Or would I have to add a second run from start batt? I plan on doubling my big 3 alt wire and grounds also. Would it be best to use same ground points as first run? Any help would be appreciated.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Re: Two power runs? Two fuses? Necessary?

And if I added 2nd run from start batt, should I split it to two 150a fuses? Also if 2nd wire from batt bank sgould I split into two 75a fuses for my saz1500d v2

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

What do you have now from front battery to rear? If you are asking about from Bat. to amp it wouldnt do much without the supporting run between the battery banks. I believe the two negatives of the batteries need to be connected same as positive as well as to chasis. I found a good diagram either on here or online that was very friendly and easy to understand by just about anybody.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Kicker SS56.2 components.(Soon to be changed out) Anyone with a set of these or maybe a single mid I'm looking
    Rockford Fosgate T-1000.1bd
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,
    This isn't baseball I'm the original DH Richard Ctranium

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

Do not split the fuse use 2 150 amp fuses to if you use the smaller size you would most likely blow them since you would have created a choke point in run by restricting the fuse size. The fuses are based on wire size not amp on the runs between the runs from distro to amp is a mix of amp requirements and wire size. If you ran 10 ga for example and fused it at 150 car b que but if you run 1/0 and fuse it at 30 not any better.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Kicker SS56.2 components.(Soon to be changed out) Anyone with a set of these or maybe a single mid I'm looking
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Do not split the fuse use 2 150 amp fuses to if you use the smaller size you would most likely blow them since you would have created a choke point in run by restricting the fuse size. The fuses are based on wire size not amp on the runs between the runs from distro to amp is a mix of amp requirements and wire size. If you ran 10 ga for example and fused it at 150 car b que but if you run 1/0 and fuse it at 30 not any better.
    i'll run counter point on this one.

increased wire size can be for reduced voltage drop, not just increased current handling. it is fine to use smaller fuses on larger wire. smaller ANL fuses offer negligible resistance changes. the largest and most problematic resistance sources are at connections.

when fuses/wires are ran in parallel, current is split. so a pair of 150A fuses can support 300A, a pair of 75A fuses can support 150A, and so on. if the amplifier doesn't have on-board fuses, you need to fuse the power feed at the mfr recommendations (for total, not individual). so if the amp calls for 150A of fusing and you have dual runs, each run would be at 75A.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

6. Thanks ta2ed9783 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    i'll run counter point on this one.

increased wire size can be for reduced voltage drop, not just increased current handling. it is fine to use smaller fuses on larger wire. smaller ANL fuses offer negligible resistance changes. the largest and most problematic resistance sources are at connections.

when fuses/wires are ran in parallel, current is split. so a pair of 150A fuses can support 300A, a pair of 75A fuses can support 150A, and so on. if the amplifier doesn't have on-board fuses, you need to fuse the power feed at the mfr recommendations (for total, not individual). so if the amp calls for 150A of fusing and you have dual runs, each run would be at 75A.
    I may have chosen the wrong wording, but You are correct but the point I was aiming for is Yes you need to protect each wire. I work Industrial and Large feeders we have multi barrel lugs per phase where the Disconnect( or fuse block) uses 3 fuses even if there are 3 runs per phase. You also nailed it with using voltage drop not gain. Resistance in a conductor creates heat. Which in turn will increase the amperage draw or current and I know you know Ohms law if any one of the 3 variables increase somewhere one will decrease since the circuit cannot lose or create Energy not voltage you can lose that. Run a set of light bulbs in series and a set in parrallel. The voltage will be dropping at each bulb but still in theory add up to input voltage. The parrallel string will show constant voltage at each socket but there will be less of an amperage draw the last in line will only show a fraction of the total load.I would fuse find a type of block that allows multiples in/out per each fused circuit or use adapters that let you land 2 conductors under single terminal.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,

8. Thanks keep_hope_alive thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

The point I was aiming for was that undersizing would cause unnecessary tripps or fuse blow. Thats why I used the extreme example if you try to draw 3500 W on 30 amp fuse = not happy. You can always use larger wire than needed as long as the fuse is rated to the load on the circuit. But on his battery runs each wire must be fused at the largest fuse size that does not exceed the cable rating. i.e. if wire is suitable for 165 amps they dont make that fuse use 150. To me I visualize any type of electrical issue as a feed load and switch. It keeps it simple to not get lost in what the application is. Sub = light bulb amp = socket in wall, wire is = to in wall battery cables = utility feed.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

What do you have now from front bat o rear? If you are asking about from Bat. to amp it wouldnt do much without the supporting run between the battery banks. I believe the two negatives of the batteries need to be connected same as positive as well as to chasis. I found a good diagram either on here or online that was very friendly and easy to understand by just about anybody.
    Right.now I have remanned 130a valeo alt, single 1/0 run to hc1800, single run to rear batts (hc600b x2), going through dist block first to send 4 ga wire to Fosgate 4 channel. Fused each end by batteries w/ 250a anl's, single run to Sundown saz1500d v2 fused at 150a anl. Big 3 all 1/0 hpm. Batt to strut tower bolt, tranny to different strut tower bolt, rear bank to rear strut tower bolt. But, I ran ground wire from rear strut to dist block with 1/0 to batt bank and 4 ga to Fosgate 4 channel.
    So would it help me at all to put in 2nd grounds and maybe 2nd alt to batt run? What about batt bank to amp? Im trying to avoid another complete run from front batt to rear bank basically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

as long as there is a run between both terminals front and rear you should be ok. I think adding a second wire to SAZ1500 not make much difference since the second battery is close. I always run a single large ground to either a copper bus bar or a ground distro block depending on what I have here. You could run either 4/0 to a ground point I personally like utilizing the center seat belt bracket if possible my vehicle had split seats that are no longer in so the 3/8 tapped hole was open. Make sure all connections are clean of paint and tight with lock washers of a sort.Never use a self drilling/tapper sheet metal screw for grounds but I'm probably kincking dead horse there. If still having issues larger alternator is most likely next step.you have 130 amp supply with 150 amp load in 1 amp not including normal vehicle electric needs. the battery fuses are just for protection so not really factoring in to load demand.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

as long as there is a run between both terminals front and rear you should be ok. I think adding a second wire to SAZ1500 not make much difference since the second battery is close. I always run a single large ground to either a copper bus bar or a ground distro block depending on what I have here. You could run either 4/0 to a ground point I personally like utilizing the center seat belt bracket if possible my vehicle had split seats that are no longer in so the 3/8 tapped hole was open. Make sure all connections are clean of paint and tight with lock washers of a sort.Never use a self drilling/tapper sheet metal screw for grounds but I'm probably kincking dead horse there. If still having issues larger alternator is most likely next step.you have 130 amp supply with 150 amp load in 1 amp not including normal vehicle electric needs. the battery fuses are just for protection so not really factoring in to load demand.
    I've been running the sundown@ 2 ohm load and I dont get any drop while over 1200 rpm, inly when im stipped at idle. Even then, it only drops to mid to low 12's. I have four type r tens I want to run @ .5 ohm and want to make sure my electrical is up to par cause I cant afford to replace amp right now. Guess ill jus have to keep the rpm's up while playing hard.

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

I may have chosen the wrong wording, but You are correct but the point I was aiming for is Yes you need to protect each wire. I work Industrial and Large feeders we have multi barrel lugs per phase where the Disconnect( or fuse block) uses 3 fuses even if there are 3 runs per phase. You also nailed it with using voltage drop not gain. Resistance in a conductor creates heat. Which in turn will increase the amperage draw or current and I know you know Ohms law if any one of the 3 variables increase somewhere one will decrease since the circuit cannot lose or create Energy not voltage you can lose that. Run a set of light bulbs in series and a set in parrallel. The voltage will be dropping at each bulb but still in theory add up to input voltage. The parrallel string will show constant voltage at each socket but there will be less of an amperage draw the last in line will only show a fraction of the total load.I would fuse find a type of block that allows multiples in/out per each fused circuit or use adapters that let you land 2 conductors under single terminal.
    understood. as an EE, I develop bid documents for large industrial and health care facilities. so I spec very large feeders that are in parallel on a single breaker/disconnect. car audio doesn't seem to have parallel feeder capability in their fuse holders - probably because they limit fuse size to 300A at 12VDC. We spec 5000A feeders at 480V.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    understood. as an EE, I develop bid documents for large industrial and health care facilities. so I spec very large feeders that are in parallel on a single breaker/disconnect. car audio doesn't seem to have parallel feeder capability in their fuse holders - probably because they limit fuse size to 300A at 12VDC. We spec 5000A feeders at 480V.
    I have probably installed a few of your designs then. I just recently completed 2 projects using 3 sets parallel 600 mcm feeders supplying 1200 Amp disconnects. I still believe there is a huge drop off in quality controls or regulations when it comes to vehicle electrical. Just look at the huge disparity between power cable quality between manufacturers. If they only had to meet UL or NEC specs I think alot of issues would disappear.

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS
    1 Sundown SD-2 10,
    Pioneer GM6400f

I am DH Audio.,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

I have probably installed a few of your designs then. I just recently completed 2 projects using 3 sets parallel 600 mcm feeders supplying 1200 Amp disconnects. I still believe there is a huge drop off in quality controls or regulations when it comes to vehicle electrical. Just look at the huge disparity between power cable quality between manufacturers. If they only had to meet UL or NEC specs I think alot of issues would disappear.
    i'm in the midwest as are most of my project.

i agree that if UL and NEC were involved, we would have higher quality components - but a lot higher cost.

+ Reply to Thread